The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G Improve your power mirrors

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My power mirror cooperate when it felt like it. Here’s how to improve it.

First remove the door panel and disconnect ONLY the mirror connector, and depin the connector on the mirror. Note: take a pic so you remember where the pins go. This is by far the easiest connector to depin on a 1g.

Grab your multimeter and set to dc volts. Here we’re checking to see if the switch is sending voltage to the mirror.

Better understand:
There are two motors in the mirror and they both share the BLUE wire. WHITE wire controls up and down, while the YELLOW wire controls left and right. The motors switches direction when polarity is switched. Colors on the harness side are not the same for either side (sorry no pic).

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Connect one lead for multimeter to where the blue wire goes ON THE HARNESS SIDE and the other lead to to any of the other two. A helper here will come in handy. Make sure the mirror switch it set to the correct side you’re testing. Push the control in the direction of the wire you’re testing. It should read +12v or -12v. Leave the lead for the blue wire and test the other wire for other direction. Should read +/-12v. If it’s not, it’s most likely the switch. I had two switches and they both were really lazy.

Here’s how to mod the switch. You’ll need two small pocket screw drivers and double sided tape.

Remove this tab on both sides to remove the mounting bracket.

Now remove these tabs on both sides. This piece slides over the pins so pull straight.

Remove tabs for the board on both sides. This should be self explanatory.

Now the entire assembly sides out. Push from the control side.

The small white piece is the switch for left or right and goes here. It will fall out when you remove it and can only go back in one way. This goes for all these pieces.

Inspect the board and wires. Both my of mine looked fine so I suspect that these don’t really go bad.

Here is the mod. I put double sided tape on the corners to bring the board closer to the controls. This helped tremendously as before I would have to hold down the control for a few seconds before it started working so I think it wasn’t making contact.

Install the rubber cover and make sure it fully over the board. If not, the controls will not feel right.

Don’t forget this piece.

Install the direction control. It’s keyed here so it can only go in one way.

Now just slide everything back together. Before going further, make sure the controls feel good in all direction and the left/right switch moves freely. Then slide the pin cover and mounting plate back on. You’re done with the switch.

Now time to test the motors on the mirror. Supply 12v to blue and one of the other wires. Now switch polarity. Listen to the motor. It should sound strong and you shouldn’t here any abnormal noises.
Now do the same for the other wire. If all sounds good, then I’d assume your internals are good. If not, you can take apart the assembly to inspect further.

Here’s the stuff you’ll need and place a towel under the mirror so you don’t scratch it up.

DISCLAIMER: when removing the mirror, you will most likely break the tabs that hold the mirror onto the bracket if they’re not already broken. When I removed mine, they were both broken and most of the pieces were found inside the housing. The tabs are really fragile but good news is, you can repair it with epoxy. If you find broken bits, I recommend using this glue. Way better than crazy glue! If they’re a goner, your can use epoxy like I did below.

Just make sure it fits snug onto the bracket.

To take apart the assembly, tap this pin. Note the center piece that the pin slides into is spring loaded to keep the assembly tight.

With the pin removed, it will be somewhat loose. There are two balls 😭 pressed into sockets on the mirror. There is a rubber boot which can tear if you’re not careful. Place a clip removal tool between the socket and the boot. Gently pry them apart and make sure not to put too much pressure on the glass.

Removing both will separate the two.

Remove these 4 screws.

While pushing the one tab down, use a flat head to pry the case apart and work around to the other side.

Remove the rotating assembly by pushing the ball through the boot in this direction.

Note the bottom of the assembly has two notches.

Place both back onto the motor side. It should sit flush.

The gear just slides off the motor.

Install new motors and you’re ready to go.

Last edited:
I didn't even know we had power mirrors. Lol
I may need to go check mine now. 😅
Not sure on the actual number. Think majority did come with power mirror. Lmk what happens with yours.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back