The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Importing Cars [Merged 5-8] import skyline evo wrx Canada

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abstraction

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 9, 2002
Toronto_Ont
Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone has imported an Eclipse into Canada? If so, was it worth the effort? was it too much of a hassle?

I know i can save a lot of money strictly in the conversion of average US prices to average CDN prices of a 2G GS. but am i going to get reamed on taxes?

Thanks,

Abstraction

(sorry if this got double posted)

If you want an oil refinery, click the above link. If you want to import a skyline, click here

Do you want it for a street car? What model? I think everyone has had their dream of a street driver R34 gt-r v-spec. $95,000 just for the car and it to be legalized is alot. I checked registration on that car here in NV and it was a $25,000. I was thinking about registering one as a kit car and though, say its a nissan 240. It might work...

Funny I remeber seeing another company that imported more than just Skylines that had used certified ones for like $30,000 for a 60,000 mile R34....

And if you live in a place like I do where emissions laws are either not enforced at all, or non exisstant. Then if you can get it shiped DIRECTLY to your house, all you have to do is get a tag, insurance and your set. (I think)

I dont have emissions either but the car needs to meet US saftey standards to get tags. And I dont think it would be wise to ship directly to you house because the shipping would be really expensive. Just pick it up at the dock.

Anyone know about the child tether anchorage? I'm going in a few weeks and i need to figure this out!

i doubt it..you need it if your car was made after that law about the belts came into place...

so if you have a 1985 chevy in canada..do you have to put in those beltds to be able to drive it? no

you are getting a used car..if it were a new car then you will ###### have to install those belts...

when did that law come in?2003?

its called ISOfix here..most 2004 and 2005 cars have em as an option..some have em standard..there just hooks under the rear seat cushion so you can install a child seat in a matter of seconds(just click em in)

Hey i live in Toronto, Canada and to start of GSX's and GST's here are VERY VERY hard to find. I am really interested in buying a 97-99 GSX. I did a search on ebay (not .ca but the .com) and found like 2 but they are both automatic. DSMTrader.com i did a search and found many. Now my problem is i cant goto US to testdrive or anything. I am just really taking there word for it. Has any1 imported a car from US to Canada and how much will it cost me? Is it worth it?

Anyone have a good recent site that ISNT shut down from japan that sells skylines/sylvias/supras?

A co-worker and I are seriously thinking about shipping 3 cars and a few engines over since they charge by the container.

Maybe a little info on what safty inspections we have to do as well? the only problem is that they are more than likely not the same here in Canada but at least to have some idea's of how much it would cost...

thanks!

ive been looking into how to import a car from canada or japan but can not find anything about it. I found a website that has quite a bit of jdm cars, rx7s, 300zxtt's, skylines....
Just wanted to see if anyone knew any info on it or how to go about doing this, i couldnt really find much on the web. so please let me know if you guys know of anything.

thanks
charles

You'll notice it's done with expensive cars. It can get as serious as replacing all the glass to meet SAE specs, and then you have the lovely (mentioned) NHTSA specs to meet.
Something like cars from Canada should already have most of the US garbage... er, mandated equipment already installed (although for one thing, 1Gs up there don't have the effing mousetrap seatbelts).
I also don't know if you get any breaks from bringing it in for your own use as opposed to trying to bring them in for resale.

For starters, you have to petition the nhtsa to grant an approval for importation of the specific model car you wish to bring in. Most of the work involved in the petition is basically outlining the modifications required in order for the vehicle to meet nhtsa/EPA/US DOT standards. From there, IF the nhtsa decides to grant importation eligibility to the automobile you petition for, then you will need to find a "registered importer" to actually file the required documents to bring the car into the country. Not just any customs broker can do it, it must be an importer registered to specifically undertake said tasks with the nhtsa (they have a list of them on their website I believe for vehicles already eligible for importation). Once the car is on US soil, the registered importer has xxx days (can't remember exactly) to actually perform the required modifications to bring the car up to nhtsa/EPA/US DOT regulations or they risk being forced to re-export the car. These are only broadstrokes, but you get the picture. Basically its not worth it. There are ways to get cars imported, and even registered and tagged, but at the end of the day it is not legal, you would just be skirting the system.

wow thats a lot of info there and i will be honest, i dont understand most of it....what if i drove to canada to their shop, bought the car, then trailered it back to my house. any probs with that? Is there a way to figure up a cost for everything needed to legalize it here.

sidenote: my talon i have has the on strap seatbelts....

if it's such a PITA to import cars, why is it that people are running all over the place with true RHD vehicles? i guess it depends on what you want though. i know two guys with imported cars. a civic hatch and a 240.

There is a difference between importing a car, and importing a car while abiding by federal and state regulations. On top of it, Civics and 240s are available domestically. Chances are they are conversions.

I don't think you can import the same cars that we can up here in Canada. The US has a 25 year rule as where Canada has a 15 year rule. That means that we can import any car that is 15 years old (or older) and it doesn't have to be on the RIV list for cars that are allowed into the country. You guys can do the same but the car has to be 25 years old.

Im in Okinawa, Japan. All of my dream cars are everywhere for unbelievable prices (cheap). I can afford anything I want.

Problem is taking it back. No one knows anything about actually bringing a car back. Its all hearsay. All I know is a guy here took a 99 altezza back for $5000 through a company called USSPECS.

Now he didnt have to pay for shipping since were military and the government will cover the cost.

He said this company took care of everything for him except for the shipping. They got the impossible to get "letter" from toyota stating that the JDM car will perform to US standards in a crash test. So with this car since they have that letter all they really needed to change out was the glass and bumpers.

For something like a skyline. Its crazy. They have to pretty much strip it down and modify the frame. As far as I know, only R33's are allowed to be imported since motorex went down as that is the only one motorex crash tested.

Ok enough rambling. All in all, it really is a huge pain in the ass. Even for me being here and having free shipping. I havent been able to get in contact with this USSPECS company about taking a supra back so I dont have any first hand experience with them.

I am going to import a WRX from the great lands of Japan, and I have researched importing much already. However, I need to know what needs to be done specifically to pass through the EPA and the highway saftey something or other. Do I need to go and make changes on the engine etc., or can I prove how close the specs are to the US version. BTW: I am importing (will be) a year 1995. I wasn't sure if I should join the WRXtuners and ask them, so I may just ask them. I can import one for about $6500 shipped. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Why not just buy a US WRX? They arent much different..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back