The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Important: Improvements on Saturn Alternator Swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gotcha. I have a couple of questions for you then.

How did you tension the water pump belt?
Did you run the alternator belt off of the ribs of the crank pulley that are closest to the block?

Last edited:
Due to my Jay Racing alternator relocation kit, my power steering pulley sticks out about 1/8" farther than the water pump pulley, and I keep throwing belts. Does anybody else have such a big discrepancy between the power steering pump pulley and water pump pulley when using this kit?[DOUBLEPOST=1414359441][/DOUBLEPOST]I tried shimming the water pump pulley out with washers. I'll have to wait and see if the belt pops off when I'm driving to know if it worked or not.

Attachments

• 2014-10-26 17.27.57.jpg
    2014-10-26 17.27.57.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Can anyone tell me where the alternator plug wire that is black with yellow goes in the harness? Does it hit the fuse box or does it go somewhere else? Im in the process of rewiring for the saturn alt plug with the jays relocation kit and I'd like to reroute this wire without pulling the entire harness.

***Google won out, for those who are curious the magic term here is Generator Relay. See image below, hopefully this helps for future reference.***

Attachments

• 2g alternator pinout.jpg
    2g alternator pinout.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 2,721
Last edited:
Due to my Jay Racing alternator relocation kit, my power steering pulley sticks out about 1/8" farther than the water pump pulley, and I keep throwing belts. Does anybody else have such a big discrepancy between the power steering pump pulley and water pump pulley when using this kit?[DOUBLEPOST=1414359441][/DOUBLEPOST]I tried shimming the water pump pulley out with washers. I'll have to wait and see if the belt pops off when I'm driving to know if it worked or not.

My son's relocation kit had to be sent back to them for "modificaton", which was free, as he was having the same issue. He was throwing the PS belt off which would in turn take out the alternator belt. Contact Jay Racing and tell them what year your DSM is and they will work with you (it was free for us, just shipping the bracket off to them). His was on his '97 Spyder. They drilled and tapped a third hole and sent it back to him just this week. Now everything lines up nice.

I just finished up the install, thank you Glenn for the great writeup! I haven't really done much but let her idle with the high beams on and heater running full blast on a new battery that hasn't been topped off yet and with those loads on it measured 14 V steady vs 14.5 V with everything off and just idling. I'm thinking she is good to go!

I just finished up the install, thank you Glenn for the great writeup! I haven't really done much but let her idle with the high beams on and heater running full blast on a new battery that hasn't been topped off yet and with those loads on it measured 14 V steady vs 14.5 V with everything off and just idling. I'm thinking she is good to go!

Which alternator did you go with? I'm a little lost. I can just go buy one for a 90s model saturn? Any one specific that would be better? The 1 wire seems nice but everyone seems to be having problems with them. Im going for better voltage, bay clean up and dependability over the autozone one. ordered everything for a battery relocation so I figured this would be a great time to do this with the Jays kit since I'll have the engine out anyways.

ok so after like 4 monts i install a 01 saturn sl2 alternator we all know this has different type conector anyways i did a custom conector and make it work i did use the s on the alternator to the fuel pump wire for proper regulation .
and just use te stock alternator wires from te car. after te install i was seen 14.1 volts at idle usin a smaller pulley i belive was a 52mm pulley.. all was fine but i did notice that at 4k and up would drope volts, at 11. 1 but now just dont keep up and is droppin way to much volts at 10.0.. have anyone happend to experince tis i include 2 datalo one before and one after
sorry my h and g dont work on my keyboard

car just start mmisfirin and i fell no power at all

Attachments

• log.2015.04.13-01.elg
    381.4 KB · Views: 116
  • log.2015.06.03-02.elg
    646.7 KB · Views: 135
  • log.2015.06.03-02.elg
    450.9 KB · Views: 121
Did the modification in this thread running the large red wire from the pigtail straight to the battery, and added a ground from the alt case to the starter bolt. Just fired off my motor for the first time, and right off the bat I'm getting 14.1v at idle.

Need to get the tune lined out before I can check under load, while driving, etc, but so far I'd say it's working fantastic.

Just a bump to let people know this exists :)

Ok I just did this swap, I installed everything the way jays website says to minus an extra ground and I wired the "yellow" to a switched 12v, the black and white wire I believe is going to a brown wire? The thick red wire is capped off. So all I have to do is run this red wire to either the batter or the fuse block? Im seeing 13.6v at idle and it doesn't go up when im driving.?

Hey guys,

Just wanted to put an update in here for those that are doing this swap. I converted my system to the 200 AMP 1 wire self exciting alt from motorcityreman. I'm running a high amp EHPS system with a few other things so wanted the high amp output. I also didn't like the idea or look of the flipped upside down stock bracket or making a modified version so I made a nice little setup that uses the stock belt and a custom turnbuckle setup. Here's a pic and a shopping list with good estimate prices. The pic doesnt have the stay nuts or a lockwasher, it was just a mockup but you get the idea. Hope this helps someone out!

Alt-$200 http://www.motorcityreman.com/91scse1.html (200 AMP, self exciting option)
Custom tensioner - $25 shipped https://www.midwestcontrol.com/
-Turnbuckle (Hex) P/N MHT-M8-60 (60mm long, M8x1.25 thread) https://www.midwestcontrol.com/part.php?id=3334
-RH Rod End (Steel on Steel) P/N ASMM-8 (Right Hand Thread M8x1.25) https://www.midwestcontrol.com/part.php?id=450
-LH Rod End (Steel on Steel) P/N ASMML-8 (Left Hand Thread M8x1.25) https://www.midwestcontrol.com/part.php?id=451
2 X M8x1.25 Nuts - $1.50 (Get stainless steel!)
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Book marked this. I will be doing the saturn alternator swap down the road, or whenever my stock one gives up the ghost. Thanks for the great info in regards to stock location mounting.

I know this is a year old, but I figured this would be an important question.

Does the turnbuckle tensioner fit with power steering in place? Thanks.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to put an update in here for those that are doing this swap. I converted my system to the 200 AMP 1 wire self exciting alt from motorcityreman. I'm running a high amp EHPS system with a few other things so wanted the high amp output. I also didn't like the idea or look of the flipped upside down stock bracket or making a modified version so I made a nice little setup that uses the stock belt and a custom turnbuckle setup. Here's a pic and a shopping list with good estimate prices. The pic doesnt have the stay nuts or a lockwasher, it was just a mockup but you get the idea. Hope this helps someone out!

Alt-$200 http://www.motorcityreman.com/91scse1.html (200 AMP, self exciting option)
Custom tensioner - $25 shipped https://www.midwestcontrol.com/
-Turnbuckle (Hex) P/N MHT-M8-60 (60mm long, M8x1.25 thread) https://www.midwestcontrol.com/part.php?id=3334
-RH Rod End (Steel on Steel) P/N ASMM-8 (Right Hand Thread M8x1.25) https://www.midwestcontrol.com/part.php?id=450
-LH Rod End (Steel on Steel) P/N ASMML-8 (Left Hand Thread M8x1.25) https://www.midwestcontrol.com/part.php?id=451
2 X M8x1.25 Nuts - $1.50 (Get stainless steel!)
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
This is great! Going to copy you for this.

For folks who are now on the 1-wire Saturn alternator with self exciting option - are you removing/deleting the "Generator Relay"? I'm in the middle of a wire tuck and I notice this "relay" tied to the alternator wiring which I shouldn't need anymore if I go with the Saturn alternator I quoted.

I'm glad I was able to help you guys out with this!

I know this is a year old, but I figured this would be an important question.

Does the turnbuckle tensioner fit with power steering in place? Thanks.

DJ,
Yes, the stock power steering pump should fit without an issue as the turnbuckle sits in the same position as the stock one. Obviously I haven't fit it with it due to my electronic power steering setup, but I don't see a problem with it.

This is great! Going to copy you for this.

For folks who are now on the 1-wire Saturn alternator with self exciting option - are you removing/deleting the "Generator Relay"? I'm in the middle of a wire tuck and I notice this "relay" tied to the alternator wiring which I shouldn't need anymore if I go with the Saturn alternator I quoted.

Sexy,
I rewired my car as well and removed the relay as there isn't a need for it anymore. The relay is basically to tell the stock exciter when the car is on and when to start "charging" the system.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back