The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

importance of the gasket between block and front engine/oil pump case. ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myblack98gst

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 22, 2003
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I am assembling a 6 bolt with VERY limited time frame. I have everything except the factory gasket that goes between the block and front cover. with the factory gasket the passages that are half exposed on both pieces are seperated by the gasket but have holes at each end.

Does the configuration of the gasket serve a particular purpose or would it be possible to use a HIGH grade gasket material on the mating surfaces>?

any help would be HIGHLY appreciated

I'm sure you see there's Oil Passages in the Front Case Cover - It you absolutely CAN'T wait till tomorrow & get one I would go with Permatex, Torque it up carefully & PRAY!

I would just wait and get the factory gasket. You can try and half ass it if you want, its only the oil pump for your motor, you know, nothing important. :rolleyes:

I agree, wait for the gasket. Permatex is a horrible idea. Imagine whats going to happen if just a tiny bit gets in your oil pump. Bye bye engine.

16 bucks and the dealer had it the next day for me.
WAIT

I'm doing the same rebuild this week.

Take your time, the WORST thing you can do is rush! Thats when mistakes happen. Stupid little thing that can be hard to find; like not torquing a bolt or not putting one in at all. It's a lot longer of a wait than a day, if you mess up and have to do it all over again. Thats if your lucky to catch the problem before its to late.

In my experience, most the time there'll be something else in the build that can use your attention. So in reality your not really losing time at all.

Sit back,,, think of all the time, money, sweat, and even a little blood you have invested in this project. It be a shame to add tears to that list. Though be it, our destiny as DSM owners... :)

Good Luck Man,
Sean

Hey, I got a spare one laying around if you want ... PM me for details. Let's just say it won't be very expensive. :D

Turbo Shogun said:
Hey, I got a spare one laying around if you want ... PM me for details. Let's just say it won't be very expensive. :D

I would imagine he would have the gasket by now, after all this thread was started almost a year and a half ago.

Well, don't I look like an idiot. :cool: :coy:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back