The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Import face Off November 20th 2011

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I just got a few flyers for those that don't have one, $3 off with each one per person if anyone needs one locally. LMK if u need any

:hmm: YO Eric, how did the hx40 give out? @ how much boost and how many miles?

From what I have found out. The holset 40, with the small housing (.55) and e85, all this creates too much back pressure in the housing and bends the shaft. The shaft then is out of balance and in my case cut directly into the housing and damaged everything. Nothing in my opinion was reusable so I decided to go a different direction. With all the info I have now, it seems this is NOT happening to the holset guys with the larger housing (.70) or if you are just running lower boost (pump gas). It is in my opinion a great turbo and it was unfortunate that I didnt know about this before. Oh well, live and learn. Btw, the turbo was brand new and was getting the proper amount of oiling and return in the oil pan.

It was a peak of 31 psi and dropped off to 29 psi by redline.

Eric

From what I have found out. The holset 40, with the small housing (.55) and e85, all this creates too much back pressure in the housing and bends the shaft. The shaft then is out of balance and in my case cut directly into the housing and damaged everything. Nothing in my opinion was reusable so I decided to go a different direction. With all the info I have now, it seems this is NOT happening to the holset guys with the larger housing (.70) or if you are just running lower boost (pump gas). It is in my opinion a great turbo and it was unfortunate that I didnt know about this before. Oh well, live and learn. Btw, the turbo was brand new and was getting the proper amount of oiling and return in the oil pan.

It was a peak of 31 psi and dropped off to 29 psi by redline.

Eric

it has nothing to do with the fuel, at a basic level, its the volume of exhaust.

if you lower the boost with e-85 you won't see the same problems as you did with the higher pressures.

essentially what was said here is:

.55 + high psi : too much volume for the housing, heat and pressure cause bent/damaged shafts and other carnage

.55 + lower psi: OKAY

.70 + high psi : OKAY

.70 + low psi : OKAY

Basically, I believe any above 25psi is high. The reason I referenced pump gas, is because on our 91 piss water you cant run too much boost before you get detonation. On e85, it is a higher octane and thus you can run more boost and create more exhaust gases. My dad is going to run this exact same set up holset 40, small bep housing (.55) and on pump gas (probably 25 psi or less) and i dont think nor does he thing he will have the same problem as me. Only time will tell but if he has the same problem as me (i highly doubt it) then I will let you all know.

Eric

Thanks for the info Eric I appreciate it.

Is this SAN DIEGO vs LOS ANGELES thing going on still???
Just wondering how the turnout is going to be if anyone is attending afterall.
I have flyers still for those who don't have one and are attending.

I was there. Got there late, it was sprinkling off and on so the racing was paused and resumed as the clouds rolled by. There were 2 dsms, the loya built and frank racing catching about the same times. I only got to see them twice each towards the end of the day low 12s high 11s. There were some really fast Hondas out. One made a 9.22 @ around 168mph. The rest ran low 10s. Everyone was complaining about traction due to the moisture and cold climate. I got some video of some runs. My idea of a highlight was this EVO 9 from Las Vegas tuned by DDM or DDS something like that. Their setup consisted of built longblock, hta86, around 630whp on a mustang dyno running e85, really clean making a couple of clean 10 second passes. I have video but still have to edit it and find the right codec for the sony HD in order to edit it correctly.

Got the video, editing it, might be done tomorrow or later this week.
Here is a link of the EVO that was there DDS Performance tuned 670 wheel
http://www.ddsperformance.com/content/

Buschur Power

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back