The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Impact Gun Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n0c7

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 2, 2004
Edmonton, Alberta_Canada
I got a portable 14.4V cordless impact gun for Christmas. It's 1050 in-lb, up to 2300rpms, 3000bpms.

I tried using it on my wheels today but I just have a chrome vanadium socket set. Is it a bad idea to use regular ratchet sockets because the socket was just starting to wear down and I couldnt crack the nuts loose and they werent all that tight. I've never used an impact so I'm new to this. Will those black impact sockets do what I need?

I've broken many normal sockets from sears with my ir impact gun. They usually just crack right down two of the sidesr or round out where the socket meets the gun.

Hmm I dunno then guys. This thing is max 1050 in-lb torque, and it actually hurts the hand to hold its hitting to hard. I was getting more shavings out of my socket than anything though, so I'll have to try it on my other ride. I'm probably gonna go grab some impact sockets tomorrow if I can find any good boxing day specials. Maybe i'm just using a shitty quality socket on my first try... Btw, its Mastercraft brand.

WTF They make air tool sockets for a reason. You may get a way with it once or twice but keep using that 19mm deep well on your lug nuts and watch it split right down the middle. :notgood:

I hope you were using the socket on your wheels, and not your tires LOL . Next time, torque the wheel nuts properly. 90 ft lbs is enough. The socket should easily be able to break that free even with a non-impact socket.

Whitetalonb16g said:
the non-impact sockets ..... WTF

:thumb: Wasnt sure if you were talking about the impact gun or the sockets man.

eclipsegsx1736 said:
I hope you were using the socket on your wheels, and not your tires LOL . Next time, torque the wheel nuts properly. 90 ft lbs is enough. The socket should easily be able to break that free even with a non-impact socket.

Haha i'm surprised you were the only one who caught that.

I misread your first post.
n0c7 said:
"It's 1050 in-lb, up to 2300rpms, 3000bpms."
I thought you posted that you'd found a 14 volt electric impact wrench that put out 1050 foot pounds at 2300 RPM, I was about to call BS. Then I realized my mistake after reading your subsequent post.

Air impact wrenches are usually rated in foot pounds. You can pick up a cheap one at Wal-Mart which hammers out about 275 foot pounds for roughly $30 Yankee Dollars. That's generally considered the low end of the scale as far as torque ratings for a 1/2" air impact wrench. It's fine for things like your wheel lug nuts which should be torqued to around 90 foot pounds as mentioned above.

At 1,050 inch pounds, equal to 87.5 foot pounds, the electric gun might just be able to break those things loose if you used some penetrating lubricant and let it hammer away for 5 minutes or so. Sorry. :(

I picked up a set of metric and imperial impact deep sockets and they definitely made a difference in helping crack some nuts free.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back