The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

I'm stuck

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90awd4g63

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 20, 2005
Augusta, Georgia
Here's the dilemma.
Car's been down for about 15months with a blown turbo. I got a new one and had issues with exhaust clearance. I had to relocate the oil filter and cut the exhaust so it dumps right up front by the frame. Once that was complete, I changed the oil. I jump started the car and noticed my oil pressure slightly above the half way mark (which is not what I'm used to seeing). I took it for a quick drive around the block. Not even half way, my coolant temp was moving quickly and getting hot, before I had a chance I heard a hose blow. Once inspected, the hose from the thermostat housing to the intake manifold shredded. I limped the car home, which was about 1/4 mile away.
Seeing the car was down, I decided to do some things. I fixed that hose, painted the IC piping and valve cover, flushed the coolant system and pulled out the thermostat, completed my wire tuck, and relocated the battery. After I finished that, I started the car.
It was running for about 3 minutes and again the oil pressure was in the same spot. I came back around and noticed the car was smoking out of the breather filter on the left side of the VC and out the dipstick. I immediately shut the car off. After two days, I tried starting it again and got nothing.
Here's what I checked with what I have. I checked spark and it was weak and my fuel is good. My ECU turns on about 5 seconds and shuts off, and I don't get a CEL when cranking. Not thinking clearly, I continued to troubleshoot the electronic side of the house. I checked the CAS, power transistor, coil pack, injector box for the weak spark.
Out of desperation, I grabbed a socket and decided to move the crank by hand and noticed the cams and timing belt werent moving. :banghead:
Now I have a feeling I tore more stuff up from the two days I've been cranking the engine over.
What do you think??? Why the smoke from the VC breather and out the dipstick?

Figures no one knows, I'd have that luck

i would pull your valve cover to see if anything looks wrong. you might have froze your cam bearings or bent some valves. if everything looks good i would try compression testing each cylinder. in my experience, i blew a head gasket and cracked my head and had coolant leaking into a cylinder. so my guess is you have some back pressure from one of the cylinders.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back