The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

I'm moving to Japan!.... Help me store my car.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaxness

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 6, 2011
Chesapeake, Virginia
As the title states, I will be moving to Yokosuka, Japan in May of next year. My boyfriend is in the Navy and opted to go back on sea duty early, so I get to go along for the ride :)

We'll be stationed over there for 4 years, which sounds exciting. The only drawback is that the DSM won't be coming with me.

No, she is not for sale, thats something I won't even consider. Yes, I know I can have it shipped over but the cost of getting her registered and legal to drive (around $6-7k) just isn't worth it to me. Soooo, I've decided to put her in a storage unit and come back to the United States once a year to take her to the Shootout instead :D

Here is where I ask for help, because I've never stored a car before. I know she can't just sit for a year and expect her to fire right up when I come visit. I've found someone I trust enough to go to the storage unit and start her up from time to time. I don't want her being driven at all, just the bare necessities to keep her insides from rotting, so here are my questions:

1. How often should she be started/warmed up?
2. Is there a certain kind of oil/fuel that I should use while she's stored?
3. How often should the oil/fuel be changed?
4. I don't want her to be driven, but I don't want to leave her without some kind of insurance in case of fire/flood/theft. What are my options?
5. The storage unit will be in Florida, so there won't be any extreme changes of temperature. Is a climate controlled unit necessary/worth it?

I'm sure I have other questions, they're just not coming to mind right now. I've Googled it, of course, and seen suggestions like putting the car on jack stands so I don't get flat spots in my tires. I'm pretty much just looking for any and all precautions I can take to make myself feel better about being 10,000 miles away from my car, LOL.

Thats cool that you get to travel along.

if anything the only thing i would worry about is how much fuel you leave in the tank for this amount of time. my talon sat for 5 or so years before i got it and let me tell you about that fuel tank... well i don't wanna talk about, lets just say empty your fuel tank.

all the other storage stuff i cant really answer because i have never stored a car and im in florida as well so you don't need to worry to much about coolant.

DONT DO IT....Im stationed in Japan and it is horrible here with all the incidents that happen.

On a note about actually storing you vehicle, if your Boyfriend stores the car for you, you can actually store in a maintained unit. Where the company will start the car add gas( with out driving it), change you oil and give you photographic tabs on it. I had a friend that received pictures from his Boss Mustang weekly with a news paper with dat in every picture to ensure photoes were up to date and no mile were incured while the car was in storage.

How much of a car person is the trustworthy person?

Add to your list 4 jack stands, and a battery maintainer.

I would say the car needs to be run 1 a month at a minium. Brought up to op temp + 10 mins

Also have them run the AC for 10 mins or so, then the heater, this will keep the cores from rotting out and keep seals intact.

Basic oil changes once a year would be enough, but twice a year would be better.

Keep a 1/4 tank of gas, but have it run almost out once a year.

When you store the car, place it up on the jack stands, tail pipe facing out the door.

When they start the car once a month, have them put it in gear, and take it to about 1500 RPMs, this will keep the tranny and diff lubed also, and burn off any codensation in those fluids.

Also this way the tires will not be flat spotted when you get home.

Hopefully the unit you rent will have a basic light bulb with a pull string, get a crew in socket. This will go between the the light fixture and the light bulb and give you a power outlet. Now you can plug in the battery maintaier and keep your battery fully charged.

As you said jack stands are one thing I would do...

Insurance company should be able to put it under a storage clause.... I've done it multiple times in the past.... It keeps insurance on it but you have to promise not to drive it LOL...

Store it at my shop....it will be started regularly, and I'm only 3 hours from Norwalk compared to your current 18. :D

Seriously, jackstands are a great idea (although most of my cars have been stored on jackstands involuntarily over the past few years :ohdamn:)..... and make sure you get all of the fuel out of the entire fuel system as today's fuels cannot withstand a year's worth of storage.

I stored mine to go to S. Korea for 3 years with the Army. I did the following, and it seems to work for me.

-I put a rag in my exhaust (then dryer sheets)
-Filled the tank with 88, and dumped in Stabil
-I wanted to put the car on jackstands so it wasn't sitting on the tires, but mine are garbage so I didn't worry about it
-I put a ton of Bounce dryer sheets everywhere (any hole) on the car to avoid mice... it seemed to work for the last 2 years.
-Unhooked the battery (backup your tune, etc)
-Cracked the windows so the Idaho heat could escape

And when I go home to start it I usually do this.
-Pull the Engine Fuse crank it a bit. (I've heard this doesn't actually do anything for oil pressure)
-Check for leaks, oil, coolant
-Check the DSMLink/ECU
-Remove all my Bounce sheets/rags
-Change oil
-Let it warm up and drive it like an old lady until my tank runs dry, then fill it with 94 or whatever

Good luck Jax! There are some more threads here, along with some more things on google for long term car storage.

E: I start mine once a year, and if you can get the Navy to store it... it's a million times better because they will actually take care of it. I wish I had a Army post nearby so I could store mine that way

And when I go home to start it I usually do this.
-Pull the Engine Fuse crank it a bit. (I've heard this doesn't actually do anything for oil pressure)

I do that even if I'm just changing the oil. Would be interested to know how use[less] it is.

OP, Can the boyfriend help facilitate storage? Does he have access to some sort of NAVY storage? Does the boyfriend like DSM's?

I stored my 1g in Tampa, FL for a little over 4 years. Had her on a set of beaten up wheels/tires and had the good ones laying flat and deflated. Emptied the gas tank as much as possible and disconnected the battery. Fast forward 4+ years it cranked right away but did not start, I had to juice up the fuel pump with a wire directly from the battery and once it started I had to do the same with one of the injectors because it was running on 3 cylinders. Moved to NJ, passed inspection with flying colors and drove for a couple of years before starting to have problems (alternator, brakes etc. more like maintenance really). I laugh when I hear that DSMs are not reliable cars. Mind you mine is not running right now...

Just remember to return your tags and cancel insurance only after that!

Ohh yes Jax look into that..I bet the navy would ship it for free, it's just gonna be done by them on their terms.

But should be free or still cheap if they have to charge You.

I do that even if I'm just changing the oil. Would be interested to know how use[less] it is.

Just by reading about it, mostly in "Help me break in my new engine/first start" threads, that spinning the oil pump with the starter won't spin fast enough to actually build oil pressure and pump the oil anywhere. Most recommend that you spin the oil pump with a drill or something with higher RPM. *shrug*

I do it just because I think that it helps. I also prime my fuel system with Link by turning on the pump for a bit before that first crank. I've never had my car fail to start on the first try.

I had one person suggest that I fog my cylinders with oil before I store it too. Again, *shrug*

Just wanted to add that Seafoam works well as a fuel stabilizer, moisture repellent, and octane booster. So it wouldn't be a bad idea to add that to the fuel (and let it circulate through the rail) before storing the car.

if anything the only thing i would worry about is how much fuel you leave in the tank for this amount of time. my talon sat for 5 or so years before i got it and let me tell you about that fuel tank... well i don't wanna talk about, lets just say empty your fuel tank.

Well I know she's going to need a little bit of fuel in there to be started once a month. I'll just have to ask the person to bring fresh fuel every couple months.

DONT DO IT....Im stationed in Japan and it is horrible here with all the incidents that happen.

On a note about actually storing you vehicle, if your Boyfriend stores the car for you, you can actually store in a maintained unit. Where the company will start the car add gas( with out driving it), change you oil and give you photographic tabs on it. I had a friend that received pictures from his Boss Mustang weekly with a news paper with dat in every picture to ensure photoes were up to date and no mile were incured while the car was in storage.

Yea, I've heard about the issues over there right now. Curfews and what not, LOL. As a girlfriend instead of a wife, I'm not a military dependent so all the restrictions won't apply to me ;)

How much of a car person is the trustworthy person?

Has owned multiple DSM's and an Evo X. I wouldn't ask someone who didn't know what they were dealing with, LOL.

Store it at my shop....it will be started regularly, and I'm only 3 hours from Norwalk compared to your current 18. :D

That actually doesn't sound like a terrible idea, LOL.

I start mine once a year, and if you can get the Navy to store it... it's a million times better because they will actually take care of it. I wish I had a Army post nearby so I could store mine that way

OP, Can the boyfriend help facilitate storage? Does he have access to some sort of NAVY storage? Does the boyfriend like DSM's?

If I add my boyfriend to my registration, he can have the Navy store it for free. BUT if something happens to the relationship over those 4 years and we split, he's the only person who can get access to my car. I'm not taking that risk.

BTW, boyfriend drives an Evo and still hasn't decided if he's going to store it or sell it.

Ohh yes Jax look into that..I bet the navy would ship it for free, it's just gonna be done by them on their terms.

But should be free or still cheap if they have to charge You.

[REPEAT] Yes, I know I can have it shipped over but the cost of getting her registered and legal to drive (around $6-7k) just isn't worth it to me.

Yea, good idea with the registration.

It's the same here in Korea, the curfews and whatnot are terribad. Plus they have all sorts of Environmental standards that will cause me to have to pay stupid amounts to drive. They do have 98 octane at the pump though :D

Regardless, good luck with storing it, I wish I could get someone to start mine once a month.

That actually doesn't sound like a terrible idea, LOL.
You could send monthly "storage" payments that would get re-invested into the car....go toward things like towing it to Ricky's and paying him to do an AWD swap for ya. :p

It's your lucky day. I covered this topic as a write-up on an Evo forum. I should post this as its own thread here on Tuners. This is information I gathered and used when storing my DSM. It started up again with absolutely no issues.

How to Properly Store Your Car:

Step 1: Give your car a good wash and wax. Take your time. Make sure there is not any build up of dirt anywhere on the car because it will cause rust. You also don't want the dead bugs, tree sap etc. having time to eat at your paint over a long period of time.

Step 2: Fill up your gas tank all the way. This will help keep your tank from oxidizing and creating rust.

Step 3: Add a fuel stabilizer such as STA-BIL. Put the right amount into your tank, and then run the car up to operating temperature so it can run through your entire fuel system. Not only does this save your fuel, but it also gives your entire fuel system a thorough cleaning. Gas breaks down after 60 days. Even if only storing the car for a month, I would still consider this step. Your gas has already begun to age even before you get it
into your tank.

Step 4: Change your oil and oil filter. Used oil gets broken down and can cause... you guessed it... rust in your engine.

Step 5: Top off all your fluids. If you have your car in storage over the winter months, make sure your anti-freeze is filled properly and you have the right mix so your radiator, hoses, etc. don't freeze, crack, and make a huge mess for you to clean up.

Step 6: Take out your spark plugs and spray some fogging oil down your cylinders. This will keep them from rusting. When you put your plugs back in after you do this, put some anti-seize on them so they will be easier to take back out.

Step 7: Unplug your battery or put a trickle charger on it. This way, you won't ruin your perfectly good battery by letting your car's electronics slowly drain it while they are on standby. It also makes start-up much easier.

Step 8: Spray WD-40 on any exposed metal such as your brake rotors. This will keep rust from forming.

Step 9: Don't set your E-brake. This can stick to your rotors. Instead, block the tires.

Step 10: Put a tarp or vinyl sheet down over your garage floor. Once again, rust
prevention is why you need to do this. If you don't, the moisture coming up from the floor will be stuck between the floor and the car and cause rust.

Step 11: If your tarp does not cover your wheel base, then put pieces of cardboard and put them under your wheels. This will keep the lime in your cement from eating at the rubber.

Step 12: Over inflate your tires by 10psi. This will keep them from turning square. You don't need to worry about this step unless your car will be in storage over 3 months.

Step 13: Put some more Damp Rid in the interior. This will help prevent mold and a musty smell. You can also put in a nice air freshener if you like.

Step 14: Plug your tailpipe(s) with steel wool, or cover the pipes with a thick rubber or plastic so mice don't crawl in and make nests.

Step 15: Put pieces of plastic or paper in between your wiper blades and your glass. This will keep your blades from sticking to the glass and leaving marks.

Step 16: Clean out the interior of the car. Don't leave any trash or clothing or anything. This stuff traps smells.

Step 17: Roll down the windows a couple of inches to allow new air to enter. This helps keep mold from growing.

Step 18: Get a good quality indoor car cover. Put it over the car to protect the paint.

Step 19: Put mouse bait around the car just in case you have a mice problem. I prefer this over moth balls because moth balls smell so bad.

Epilogue: And there you have it, How to properly store your car. If you prefer, you can also put your car up on jack stands. This will prevent you from having to over inflate your tires but if you do this, you must make sure and place the stands under your four corners of suspension. This way, they will still have the weight of the car on them. If not, they will be stressed during storage and could have serious effects when it comes to safety of your car when you get it back on the road. If I would only do one thing to store a car, it would be to treat the fuel. Do not skip this step, STA-BIL is a great product and
your car will appreciate you using it!

Damp Rid moisture absorber: Amazon
STA-BIL fuel stabilizer: Amazon
Fogging Oil: Amazon

Last edited by a moderator:
If I add my boyfriend to my registration, he can have the Navy store it for free. BUT if something happens to the relationship over those 4 years and we split, he's the only person who can get access to my car. I'm not taking that risk.

Hahaha. Spoken like a true DSM'er. More power to you, I respect your honesty and commitment to your craft. I'd leave my car with Justin, personally. Something about that guy that inspires trust to me for some reason. Maybe because hes so helpful when there is no compelling reason as to why he should be.

You could send monthly "storage" payments that would get re-invested into the car....go toward things like towing it to Ricky's and paying him to do an AWD swap for ya. :p

Oh god, no, LOL. While I prefer to do everything on my car myself (it makes troubleshooting problems with the car later a lot easier), I couldn't stand her being under the knife while I'm not there. No no no. No, LOL.

It's your lucky day. I covered this topic as a write-up on an Evo forum. I should post this as its own thread here on Tuners. This is information I gathered and used when storing my DSM. It started up again with absolutely no issues.

This is where I'm getting mixed information, and I know there are different rules for storing a car over a short period of time over a long period of time.

Example: Filling up the gas tank all the way to prevent rust. May work for a short term, but that would just be a waste of gas over a years worth of time.

Otherwise, the other suggestions were very helpful and I'll add them to my to-do list :)

Step 14: Plug your tailpipe(s) with steel wool, or cover the pipes with a thick rubber or plastic so mice don't crawl in and make nests.

Imagine. The first time you go to hit the 2 step, a family of mice flies out of the exhaust. LOL

No but really, that's a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to shelter her for you, but my area does tend to be a little damp in the spring/fall months. Even things within my shop will sweat with the extreme temperature and humidity changes. Not trying to steer you away, just being brutally honest. It would be sweet to find someone just south of the Mason Dixon line- in non-coastal Virginia, perhaps.

I'd love to shelter her for you, but my area does tend to be a little damp in the spring/fall months. Even things within my shop will sweat with the extreme temperature and humidity changes. Not trying to steer you away, just being brutally honest. It would be sweet to find someone just south of the Mason Dixon line- in non-coastal Virginia, perhaps.

Well keeping her here in Jacksonville gives me a chance to visit family when I come back to the United States once a year, as well as putting her near the person I trust enough to start once a month.

I've got 6 months to sort it all out, so no option will go without consideration.

I was told that jack stands are awfull for unibody cars as it flexes the chassie putting unwanted stress on the car. I have also heard that haveing the shocks uncompressed is bad.

Yea, I've heard about the issues over there right now. Curfews and what not, LOL. As a girlfriend instead of a wife, I'm not a military dependent so all the restrictions won't apply to me ;)

Actually even being a dependent you would still be allowed to be off base after 11pm the curfew we are currently in only applies to military active duty. you should look at https://www.usajobs.gov/ now to start the job process. It took my wife 1 1/2 years to get a decent job. Its a great deal if you are married over here though you get a ton more money(not sure if thats in you futureor not....). You will like it up on mainland i am stuck on a little island that is horrible.

Step 8: Spray WD-40 on any exposed metal such as your brake rotors. This will keep rust from forming.

I wouldn't spray WD-40 anywhere near my brakes. Any surface rust will come off the first time it's driven. I'd worry about the WD-40 soaking into the pads and ruining them.

Step 13: Put a bucket of Damp Rid or a similar product under your car to help seep up that moisture.

Step 16: Put some more Damp Rid in the interior. This will help prevent mold and a musty smell. You can also put in a nice air freshener if you like.

Mentioned this twice. Might want to fix it before you post the how-to and mention it twice.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back