The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

ECMlink I'm confused, can't seem to reach the 300whp goal on E16G

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stefan, Do you have another maf you can try? Also, do you have a flexfuel sensor? Reason I ask is because I can see flexfuel reading 100% which is odd.
I don't have another MAF on hand and my 4 bar SD kit should be arriving this week or early next so I'm completely removing the MAF and stock intake snorkel.

I've never installed a flexfuel sensor and I wasn't even aware that value was being logged. The only fuel-related item I have logged is Octane to keep an eye if the ECU is using hi or lo octane maps. But so far even with our shitty RON95 it picks it up as a hi-octane fuel. From my knowledge the knock sensor is technically also an octane sensor, at least that's what the FSM calls it.

@TK's9d2TSi @Stapl3

I hope you guys don't mind that I'm tagging you this way but you've been helping so far and I think I may have found a potential issue.

So, since the FIC injectors came with a data sheet, I input all those deadtimes in the InjBatteryAdj table under Direct access. However, I also saw that on ECMlink's website they have a recommended injector deadtime of 330 miliseconds for the 1000ccs. So I also put that as my global.

I just realized that you are meant to use one or the other, and not both! What ends up happening is not only have I added the offset in the DA, but I've added an additional 330 miliseconds ON TOP of all those adjustments. So if at 12 volts they are meant to run at 1230 miliseconds, my global is adding another 330 so they end up being 1530!

Now, my understanding is that injector deadtime is the amount of time the injector opens and closes during fuel flow. Thus, a longer deadtime/latency/voltage offset means it will end up squirting more fuel. So, all things equal, I've had my injectors running artificially richer than needed at all times and all conditions (backed up by a noticeably sooty exhaust tip after cleaning as well as friends reporting it smokes black and even spits fuel out the pipe!). So the ECU would see this increased fuel flow and would demand an adjusted (increased) airflow also, which is why it kept wanting me to raise the MAFcomp sliders way up especially at idle at the first few Hz points.

So now if I set global injector latency to 0, set the InjBattAdj table latencies as per the FIC data sheet, and set my global fuel to the correct value (-54.5%), then zero out my MAF sliders, I SHOULD be back to square one but at least on a proper base setting. And hopefully that time the MAF sliders wont need to jump so high up?

Let me know what you think. I'm just thinking out loud here. These things aren't very well explained on ECM's website it seems.

No problem Stefan! When you put values into injbatteryadj in DA, that is the deadtime you're starting with at various different voltages. Some people don't make changes in injbatteryadj. Since every engine/setup is different, deadtime can also be different from engine to engine to get idle correct.

I don't know if ecmlink's data sheet includes battery offset. But once you set those values, you should be able to start at 0 deadtime and fine tune from there.

Last edited:
Unless FIC tests their injectors with a DSM driver circuit, I would just use their deadtime values as a loose guide.

Adding deadtime adds fuel. But, you're really only going to notice it at idle and it diminishes as you get farther away from idle.

Injbatteryadj and deadtime on the fuel tab are the exact same thing. For example, raising all sliders on injbatteryadj 100 is exactly the same thing as putting 100 in deadtime on the fuel tab.

Stapl3 is correct this is the way i tune cars on ecm link. With SD shoot for 100 VE with Maf comp shoot for zero at peak TQ. This is a sanity check for your global injector settings. Once that is correct then use dead time or injector battery adjust to get fuel trims in check and SD or maf comp to get air flow per rev in expected range. Every cars fuel delivery system from pump to injectors lines ect can effect this. I have seen same injectors in one car go to another and end up needing some changes made just due to the set up. When done this way link's LB/min estimate has proven to line up with results on the dyno. I honestly prefer to use virtual dyno with data exported from link but that requires exact weight of car and some other factors but had shown to be very close too.

With SD shoot for 100 VE with Maf comp shoot for zero at peak TQ. This is a sanity check for your global injector settings. Once that is correct then use dead time or injector battery adjust to get fuel trims in check and SD or maf comp to get air flow per rev in expected range. Every cars fuel delivery system from pump to injectors lines ect can effect this. I have seen same injectors in one car go to another and end up needing some changes made just due to the set up. When done this way link's LB/min estimate has proven to line up with results on the dyno. I honestly prefer to use virtual dyno with data exported from link but that requires exact weight of car and some other factors but had shown to be very close too.
A master appears...

virtual dyno with data exported from link
What is this?

What is this?
It's a free software that you can virtually dyno (Dynojet, Mustang dyno or Virtual dyno) from a log data by exporting it as a CSV or Text file. In ECMLink, you select a 3rd or 4th gear WOT pull part and clip to selection, and then export only the selection part as a CSV file (The file should include Time, RPM, TPS, Boost and AFR). And open that file in Virtual dyno, then set factors like @jed344 mentioned above.
This.
https://barnhill.bitbucket.io/

I have been using it little over a year now. The lb/min vs virtual dyno compared to the car on the dyno all end up in the same ballpark. Sometimes virtual dyno has been as close as few HP off.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back