The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

I'm an 11 sec. PUMP GAS bi*** now!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOSLO2PT0

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 31, 2002
Joliet, Illinois
Well, after chasing boost leaks and trying to figure out the tuning on this MAFT, I finally did it!!!! I got my 11 sec. second pass on pump gas.

The started out with me fixing a few secret boost leaks and installing my HKS EVC EZ, in place of my hallman MBC. I loaded up the car, stopped and got some 110 race gas, just in case. Drove out to the track and did my customary test run. Usually my test run comes in at 12.6@108 just to see wheer the car is at. Today it was a 12.3@111. Hmmm...already making more power. 1st full run came in at 12.07@113. WHOA!! Already my personal best and I just got started.

Well, after the 12.07 things started going downhill. I kept missing a gear, or get sideways on a launch and have to abort the run. Well, around 8:30, I made another pass that was very clean. But for some reason, the car just didn't feel like it was pulling like it should. Get the timeslip, 12.58@108. WTF? Looked at all the logs, everything looked good, EXCEPT my timing was WAY too high, like 30 degrees dropping down to 26. Way too much timing, injector IPW was way too low as well. I thought, maybe it was a fluke. Ran again, 12.60@108. Now i'm like "What the hell is going on?" Turns out my EVC got turned off somehow. DOH!!!

It's now about 9:30 and it's time for my last pass of the night. I let the car cool down a good amt. and go for my last run. There is a C5 with slicks in the lane next to me. I motioned him to run, but he didn't want any part of it BWAHAHA I line up, launch and I'm off!! Went through the gears really well. Got my timeslip, 11.89@115!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the slip:

60': 1.682
330: 4.939
1/8: [email protected]
1/4: [email protected]

Overall i'm happy, but still not satisfied. I'm going back Sunday for better times. I'm taking out the seats, and bringing some ice for the intake and some water/alky mix for the fmic/piping. Looking for some 11.7x times on pump, THEN i'll find a track that will let me run with some C16 in it!!!!

I'll keep ya updated!!!

Mike

Dude that is awesome! :thumb: Looks like it's time to update that profile :)

Mike

What track wont let you use C-16?

Nice times btw, whats your setup.

Yeah sweet times. Why won't they let you run C16? Also, why did you switch from the MBC to the EVC-EZ? I've been tracing some spool up problems and have an EVC-EZ unhooked at home and was thinking of trying it. Did you have any problem with the MBC or did you just want the cockpit control? Great times!!

It wasn't that they wouldn't let me run C16 or race gas, I just couldn't run any faster without getting booted. After my first 11.9x run, the starter asked to see my time slip. He then informed me that I needed a roll bar at 11.99 or quicker. He was nice enough to let me finish the night off, since there was only about an hour left. He basically told me not to come back without a rollbar.

Most of the local tracks make you have a roll bar at 11.99. A few of the IHRA tracks let ya run 11.50 before a roll bar is needed. Both of those tracks are about 95 miles away. I don't really feel like driving that far for a T&T session, especially on a day that I have to work (120 miles in the opposite direction).

I won't have the money this year to put a cage in the car, plus I'm not ready to take that step yet. The next few events are at tracks that won't let me run quicker than 11.99 so it's not a big concern. But I would like to get to a track once with some race gas just to see what it can do.

Where you running 110 when you made these times, or did you just buy 110 and then use pump gas?

Reading your post is says you bought 110?

I bought the 110, cuz the last 2 trips i didn't break into the 11's. Plus it was kind of hot, like 85 when I got to the track. I was just gonna give it a run or two to try for the 11's. If I didn't get there, then I was just gonna dump in the race gas. But since I came so close on the 2nd pass, I decided to stick with it. Never touched the 110 all night. Just sat in the gas container by my tools.

nice job, I can't get 110 at the pump here, its 94 max.

But then again I wouldnt be using 110, as it would be prohibitively costly as I drive my car every day.

Congrats!!! That is a badass time on pump gas!!

Your profile lists your mods as:

Car: 90 Eclipse GSX
Engine: FP Green/660cc/FMIC/AFC/MAFT
Suspension: KYB AGX/Eibach Pro-kit

What is your current setup? Did you use NAWZ?

What does your car weigh in at?

How did you cut a 1.6 60ft? What tires/tranny/combo are you running?

How much boost can you run on pump gas??

Originally posted by Turboniam
Congrats!!! That is a badass time on pump gas!!

Your profile lists your mods as:

Car: 90 Eclipse GSX
Engine: FP Green/660cc/FMIC/AFC/MAFT
Suspension: KYB AGX/Eibach Pro-kit

What is your current setup? Did you use NAWZ?

What does your car weigh in at?

How did you cut a 1.6 60ft? What tires/tranny/combo are you running?

How much boost can you run on pump gas??

Here is a complete build up cost of all my mods. I am pretty sure I have included everything.

INDUCTION

FP Green $850
2G exh. manifold $100
VPE O2 housing $225
Tial 40mm gate $300
IRC Race Core FMIC $1100
FRH intake manifold $490
Tial Bov $215
Translator + GM LT1 maf $275

EXHAUST

custom 3" downpipe $125
3" test pipe $15
3" cat-back exhaust $250

FUEL

Supra TT pump $125
Denso 660cc injectors $350
pump re-wire $10
Charged Air AFPR/gauge $100

ELECTRONICS

Hawker battery (10lbs) $25
HKS EVC EZ $250
TMO Stg. III ECU $300
Apex'i AFC $250
gauges (boost/EGT) $75

DRIVETRAIN

ACT 2600 clutch $300
Shepherd built tranny $1900
4 bolt rear end (off my parts car) $free

ENGINE

ARP head studs $90
Mitsu metal HG $50
Balance shaft removal kit $30
NGK plugs + wires $50

TOTAL in mods $7850

I didn't use any NAWZ, NOS, nitrous or anything of the sort. I'm looking to be one of the quickest 2.0L cars on pump ET wise. There are guys out there with 2.4L motors, strokers, and 2.0L guys running Greens that are making a LOT more HP than I am, but they are also using standalones, Water Injection, nitrous, DSMLink, etc. I'm simply using a 1G TMO ECU, MAFT, and AFC. That's it. I'd like to see the car go 11.6x, but that's highly unlikely.

Last year, the car weighed 3250lbs with me in it and with the gas needle right on the E. Since then, I took out the front bumper, the A/C, and replaced the stock battery with a smaller battery. That's basically it for weight reduction. Car is still pretty heavy. It's got power everything, sunroof, and leather.

I can cut 1.6x 60's all day long. The suspension is bone stock, has 155k miles, and the car rolls on Enkie RP01's and some old ass BFG Touring T/A radials. They were on the car when I bought it 3 yrs ago :) My best 60' to date on that combo is a 1.63, with a few 1.65's on it. I currently launch at 5500rpm, stutterbox, with an ACT 2600 clutch. I'm going to try to launch the car at 6000rpm next time out, and come out harder, for possibly some 1.5x's. The tranny is a Shepherd RAcing built tranny.

Next time out, I'm gonna add a little fuel and try for 25psi on pump ;) Wish me luck.

Shep didn't do anything special to the tranny. I was supposed to only have to pay around $1200 for the rebuild, including billet forks and steel end rails, but complications came out on those parts, and time was an issue. The tranny I also sent him was complete junk. We had to replace 1st, 3rd, Reverse, and the center diff. That's what brought up the price a LOT.

Go to www.shepracing.com to see a list of what you get for $900. By far the cheapest you are going to find.

What 1st gear are you running NOSLO2PT0?

Also, what, if anything, is done to your center diff??

How much boost were you running??

Originally posted by Turboniam
What 1st gear are you running NOSLO2PT0?

Also, what, if anything, is done to your center diff??

How much boost were you running??

It's a stock 1st gear, nothing special. Shep advised AGAINST using the GVR-4 1st gear as it's apparenty weaker than the stock gear (read:will shatter easier than the oem gear).

The center diff was welded. I wanted teh 4 spider gear center diff, but after having to replace 3 gears in the tranny, cost was quickly becoming a major limiting factor.

At the time of those runs, I was running 23psi.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back