The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

ECMlink ileagleracing needs help, no start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauleyman

DSM Wiseman
Nov 19, 2011
oklahoma city, Oklahoma
Im a mechanical guy not a tuner. Can somebody take a look at this? There were no changes from the last autocross. The car blew 2nd gear. That has been fixed and now we are facing a no start again. Last time we discovered an injector wire had become separated and that was subsequently fixed. What are we missing here?

Attachments

• log.2022.08.03-01 (1).elg
    31.9 KB · Views: 20
The car is an autocross car, ran it for the first time in 4 years back in May with no problems. After the event it didn't want to start (and stay running). After trying a few things I ended up replacing one of the injector connectors (one of the wires was loose and pulled out), and the car started OK. At the next event 2nd gear decided to become 2nd neutral, and now that I have a new transmission in, the car is doing the same thing. It'll crank but won't stay running unless I give it throttle. I replaced a the plugs, replaced all the other injector connectors, sprayed starter fluid in the intake, and no joy. DSMLink shows it running really rich. Datalog attached.

Attachments

• log.2022.08.03-01.elg
    31.9 KB · Views: 22
I see his timing never goes over 5* and he’s running a 1g cas. I’d try another cas if he has one. Front O2 stays lean on cold start. Can’t see what the aem 5 bar is reading. See if that lines up with ecuboost. There’s a pic with mouse nest in the intake so inspect wire harness.

I see his timing never goes over 5* and he’s running a 1g cas. I’d try another cas if he has one. Front O2 stays lean on cold start. Can’t see what the aem 5 bar is reading. See if that lines up with ecuboost. There’s a pic with mouse nest in the intake so inspect wire harness.

This^

If you track the timing table, you can see the cells being used, 2/4*. I don’t think the load factor is correct. I’ve looked through some of my logs comparing rpm and throttle % and I believe the load factor calculation is off. Possibly the map sensor or wiring issue. Hope this helps.

The picture of the mouse condo in my stock intake is from a decade ago, No mice in the current garage.
I checked all the grounds, everything looked good. I tried switching the starter ground from one of the starter bolts to its own bolt on the top of the trans, no difference.
MAP sensor is plugged in, can't tell if it is bad, but it has not much use since installation.
I swapped the CAS, no difference.

If you track the timing table, you can see the cells being used, 2/4*. I don’t think the load factor is correct. I’ve looked through some of my logs comparing rpm and throttle % and I believe the load factor calculation is off. Possibly the map sensor or wiring issue. Hope this helps.
Engine and tuning is something I usually leave to the experts, so a lot of this is new to me. When you say the timing cells being used 2/4* are you referring to the range of timing showing in the log? Is load factor something that is adjustable in DSMLink?
For reference attached is a log from the 1 event I did back in May, before I started having issues.

Attachments

• log.2022.08.10-01clipped.elg
    62.2 KB · Views: 14
Have you checked the ignition transistor clips and all other plugs are seated ok? Anyone of those lifted could resort in a situation where it might be lightly touching and sometimes works. Vibrations can pop clips off and its only a guess to test it out. Might not be the case but worth a basic check.

I assume you checkedbthe coilpacks are showing spark right nice strong spark

Engine and tuning is something I usually leave to the experts, so a lot of this is new to me. When you say the timing cells being used 2/4* are you referring to the range of timing showing in the log? Is load factor something that is adjustable in DSMLink?
For reference attached is a log from the 1 event I did back in May, before I started having issues.
In the first log you posted, you can see below which timing cell the ecu is using. From what I understand, Load Factor is calculated by the ecu based on airflow. I couldn't find the exact math but I think its dividing air flow by rpm, and it's not something we can adjust.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

1st log

vs 2nd log you posted.

I tried lining up rpm and throttle % in the two logs and you can see the airflow numbers are way off between the two, 5.4lb/min @1.77 load vs .5lb/min @.23 load. I believe this is why the car doesn't want to run. I would check resistance on pin 85 wire. How old is the sensor?

Look at the boostest in the first log, it thinks it's making 16psi at 1k rpms. I think it's the map sensor.

Since a mice did take up residence at one point, I would make sure these wires are not compromised.

Have you checked the ignition transistor clips and all other plugs are seated ok? Anyone of those lifted could resort in a situation where it might be lightly touching and sometimes works. Vibrations can pop clips off and its only a guess to test it out. Might not be the case but worth a basic check.

I assume you checkedbthe coilpacks are showing spark right nice strong spark
The ignition transistor and plugs wires are all snug. I checked each plug and got spark.

In the first log you posted, you can see below which timing cell the ecu is using. From what I understand, Load Factor is calculated by the ecu based on airflow. I couldn't find the exact math but I think its dividing air flow by rpm, and it's not something we can adjust.

I tried lining up rpm and throttle % in the two logs and you can see the airflow numbers are way off between the two, 5.4lb/min @1.77 load vs .5lb/min @.23 load. I believe this is why the car doesn't want to run. I would check resistance on pin 85 wire. How old is the sensor?

Look at the boostest in the first log, it thinks it's making 16psi at 1k rpms. I think it's the map sensor.

Since a mice did take up residence at one point, I would make sure these wires are not compromised.
The only stuff in my engine bay left over from when the mice were in residence is the engine harness and the hydraulics, car was totally stock back then.
The Sensor was put in 2016ish, car had limited use for a few years and then was shuttled around various storage units since 2018.
I'll check out the wiring to the sensor and the sensor itself.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back