The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Ignition Switch Fuse Blowing/Speedo Not Reading

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalguitarmax

Probationary Member
Apr 7, 2013
Southaven, Mississippi
Okay, so first off I'll say that this car had MANY electrical problems when I bought it and me and my buddy thought we had finally fixed them all and yesterday when I went out to get tires and alignment and drove around a bit my car stalled out mid-shift. I looked under the hood and saw that the ignition switch fuse was blown. So I put a new one in and immediately blew again. Now, I had this same problem before and found some loose wires, capped them all off and checked anywhere I could for any more and thought we had covered them all. One problem I have seen in previous posts that I think may be related to my fuse-blowing problem is that my speedometer and my odometer both do not read. (My odometer racks a mile on the trip gauge ever so often.) Also when I opened the hood the radiator was EXTREMELY hot as was the engine. So we will check the second fan we hooked up that I found at the salvage yard to make sure it isn't faulty and causing a short. However I don't think that is the problem with the direct short because it blows the fuse when the ignition switch is just turned to the "ON" position, so the fan wouldn't be trying to kick in until the car was cranked. Someone PLEASE help me I just want to get my Eclipse on the road this car has turned into a 6 month project and money hole. I have a 1997 Eclipse GS N/T

Thank You!

Also when I opened the hood the radiator was EXTREMELY hot as was the engine. So we will check the second fan we hooked up that I found at the salvage yard to make sure it isn't faulty and causing a short. However I don't think that is the problem with the direct short because it blows the fuse when the ignition switch is just turned to the "ON" position, so the fan wouldn't be trying to kick in until the car was cranked.
ECU turns fans on when hot (eg. condensor fan when > 210*) - engine running/cranking is irrelevant.

So you think if the fan is faulty that could be the problem with my short? Could fixing the speed sensor or checking those connections help fix the problem too?

Ok thank you. The fan was my problem with the short I drove it all the way home. (30 minutes.) Now another problem is I don't believe the oroginal fan (the one that came on the car when I bought it) is kicking in. I drove it a while then stopped and let it idle at my buddies house and the temp eventually rose on the gauge but the fan never came on. Then I proceeded onto the road home and thegauge dropped in temp (probably because the air was flowing into the engine.) We tested the fan the other day by directly jumping it to see if it worked and it did. So any help on where to find some sort of heat sensor? One that might tell the fan to turn on when the engine is hot. I've also thought about hard wiring it to a wire that has 'switched power' which would make itrun as soon as the switch is on. But if I can replace the sensor and that's my problem I would prefer going that direction.

Also any diagram on where to find the speed sensor in my car? That's next on my to-do-list.

Thanks again for all your help!

Okay nevermind about the fan I found out today it does kick on when I turn on my AC so its wired in properly I just need to replace the sensor. Now moving on to the Speed Sensor where can I find it I know its on the transmission but where? Maybe a picrure or a diagram please. Thanks again for your help!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back