The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

ignition lock cylinder

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justchillin

Probationary Member
Jun 1, 2012
Baconton, Georgia
Hi guys, im pretty new to the DSM world but just bought a 97 eclipse rs and im fixing a few problems with it before it becomes a daily driver. But right now im having trouble with the key not turning so im assuming the lock cylinder has gone out. So my question is what is the proper procedure for removing it? IV got the column torn down all the way for easy access to it but not sure of how to remove the lock c
ylinder

You need to get the key to turn before you can remove it. Stick the key in and violently jiggle it around while trying to turn it. It should eventually come free. After you get it to turn there is a pin that holds it into the column. If you put the lock cylinder on the accessory spot the pin should push in and the cylinder will slide out.

Thank you that's exactly what I was looking for..i figured that pin pushed in at some point just wasn't sure the position...iv tried my best to get that key to turn but it won't do anything....btw my steering is locked in a 2 o'clock position could that be a reason y the key doesn't turn

I dont know if you have an automatic, but you might want to check the ignition interlock cable that prevents starting in gear. Maybe it came loose and is preventing turning of the cylinder. If not the case...

If there is no way you can get the key to turn then there are alternate ways to remove the lock cylinder, though they carry risk.

First, locate the round peg (that you were to push in once the key is turned during normal removal), you can drill this out entirely and the cylinder will slide out. Note that if you are off-center at all, the housing will need to be replaced.

Second, you can drill out the center of the lock where the key goes, and incrementally scrape out tumbler bits until it is clean inside. Once all of the tumbler pieces are removed, you can use a screwdriver to turn the cylinder and then push the release button in and pull out the cylinder. Again, if you are off center or if you drill to far, the lock housing will need to be replaced.

Third, if you wanted to dodge drilling all together, you could just replace the lock housing entirely (requires cutting off snap bolts though) and replace the lock and housing.

Well I managed to get it out...i first tried just violently shaking/turning that didn't work. So I put my steering wheel back on and did the same while trying the wheel that didn't work so I gave in 1 last try I nearly broke my key by it finally turned over to acc and pulled right out...so thanks alot for the advice....is there any kind of security im going to have to reset once I install the new 1? Also how to get the computer to "relearn"

These cars don't use an immobilizer so you won't have to do anything buy slide the new lock cylinder in and put the plastic surround back on.

Way cool.. Now, what if you are taking the cylinder from an auto trans car and installing it in a manual trans car.. Same year car

Not sliding in as easily as it came out..LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back