The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G If your transmission is in 'safe mode'

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TermTrky

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 23, 2007
PNW, Washington
I have a tranny stuck in 3rd. The TPS has excessive output so the trans is in safe mode. 3rd is a good-nuff all-purpose gear.

I checked voltage, resistance, and everything came up satisfactory as far as a sensor & power source/resistance go. But I need to adjust the Throttle Position Sensor counterclockwise to a proper voltage of about 0.56 volts @ Idle I believe - the book isnt in front of me.

IF any DSM'ers have this issue - don't forget to 1st try pulling an error code - OBD1 in my case & easy to have an analog volt meter and figure out. Buy a book! Hayne's did me good in the procedure to troubleshoot a code 11. Hopefully I can get to the bottom bolt on the TPS. & hopefully its not mechanically stuck in 3rd :cry:

Thought I'd remind ya guys for anybody else having tranny issues after a motor swap.
Geez Just reinforcing info :D

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
Somebody suggested a Code 11 would not put my transmission into safe mode.
Time for fluid change / filter change, fixing the Code 11 & see if it goes in gear. If not - time to rebuild the tranny.
:beatentodeath:

Somebody suggested a Code 11 would not put my transmission into safe mode. Time for fluid change / filter change, fixing the Code 11 & see if it goes in gear. If not - time to rebuild the tranny :beatentodeath:
L Was it repaired with the oil change?

If its stuck in 3rd, or "LIMP MODE", more than likely a sensor is not giving input to the TCU or the PROPER input and the computer doesn't like it. I had pulse generators do it and the VCC will do that to our cars also.
My .02¢

:confused::cry:Mine only takes the change from first to second but if I put them manually it enters and then returns it to first

"Limp" mode is usually either a tcu failure or an internal failure, it can be a speed sensor but they rarely just fail on their own as thet are a vr type sensor and are very reliable unless something physically damages them or the wiring to them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back