The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

if your gonna delete my posts, delete my account.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don't get the anger. There's no lack of sites to discuss literally anything, some within fairly tight rules, others more freely. Politics, religion, art, music, movies, puppies, food, plumbing, "other", whatever. When topic-specific sites allow non-topical discussions, it overwhelms the mods and often leads to bad feelings, and ruins the experience for all.

What I do wish existed, and perhaps it does and I just don't know about it, is a way to have an open discussion about non-allowed topics with people from a given site, on a different site. I.e. Joe Blow and I touched upon a topic that's not really supposed to be discussed here, then someone else chimed in, and we'd like to continue the discussion, but not here, so there's some "button", akin to the twitter icon, that we all click to be taken to an off-site discussion site.

Is there such a thing? It would basically eliminate even the illusion of censorship and allow organic discussions to continue without disrupting the original site.

I honestly don't get the anger. There's no lack of sites to discuss literally anything, some within fairly tight rules, others more freely. Politics, religion, art, music, movies, puppies, food, plumbing, "other", whatever. When topic-specific sites allow non-topical discussions, it overwhelms the mods and often leads to bad feelings, and ruins the experience for all.

What I do wish existed, and perhaps it does and I just don't know about it, is a way to have an open discussion about non-allowed topics with people from a given site, on a different site. I.e. Joe Blow and I touched upon a topic that's not really supposed to be discussed here, then someone else chimed in, and we'd like to continue the discussion, but not here, so there's some "button", akin to the twitter icon, that we all click to be taken to an off-site discussion site.

Is there such a thing? It would basically eliminate even the illusion of censorship and allow organic discussions to continue without disrupting the original site.
You can have multiple people in a PM with this forum software. That is probably the best way to do it. I think I have it limited to 5 participants for most members. I can up that number though.

Back in the day you'd be able to buy a membership or something or gain access to a "private" portion of the forum. It got pretty crazy at times back in the day. Not here, on a forum I used to moderate LOL

You can have multiple people in a PM with this forum software. That is probably the best way to do it. I think I have it limited to 5 participants for most members. I can up that number though.
That sounds like a good solution. It's like you're at a meeting that hasn't started, or at a party, and you get to talking to some people about a topic of mutual interest, but it's not really pertinent to the meeting or would bore or annoy others at the party, so you take it elsewhere after the meeting, or at the party, like in a separate room or the porch. I get how people want to discuss certain topics with people they have other things in common with. But there's a way to do it so it doesn't disrupt or upset others.

Back in the day you'd be able to buy a membership or something or gain access to a "private" portion of the forum. It got pretty crazy at times back in the day. Not here, on a forum I used to moderate LOL
Ok this is going to be slightly OT so I'll keep it short, but I've recently started commenting on several YouTube channels, but something about YouTube's comment rules and practices makes interesting and civil discussions difficult. Channel owners block or hide comments or members, prefer to review them before making them visible, etc. It would be nice to be able to "offline" such discussions in a way that neither the channel owner nor YT could moderate. I think that all sites should have this ability.

Ok this is going to be slightly OT so I'll keep it short, but I've recently started commenting on several YouTube channels, but something about YouTube's comment rules and practices makes interesting and civil discussions difficult. Channel owners block or hide comments or members, prefer to review them before making them visible, etc. It would be nice to be able to "offline" such discussions in a way that neither the channel owner nor YT could moderate. I think that all sites should have this ability.
Its actually YT moderating it as well. More off topic....but it makes me cringe so ill share. My bro-in law heads the YouTube team that censors/deletes videos/channels that they don't agree with. Covid, Trump, vaccine efficacy, misinformation/disinformation, you know...the usuals. He has the final say-so in those decisions, and manages the whole team. I no longer see him the same knowing his role. Its sad only because most of the time videos are taken down, its subject to videos that THEY don't agree with and don't fit a certain narrative at the time. Most of the big channels in which its their lively-hood and their means of income. I would go into it more...but as this whole thread is about what NOT to talk about...this is stuff that doesn't belong on a forum :p

Its actually YT moderating it as well. More off topic....but it makes me cringe so ill share. My bro-in law heads the YouTube team that censors/deletes videos/channels that they don't agree with. Covid, Trump, vaccine efficacy, misinformation/disinformation, you know...the usuals. He has the final say-so in those decisions, and manages the whole team. I no longer see him the same knowing his role. Its sad only because most of the time videos are taken down, its subject to videos that THEY don't agree with and don't fit a certain narrative at the time. Most of the big channels in which its their lively-hood and their means of income. I would go into it more...but as this whole thread is about what NOT to talk about...this is stuff that doesn't belong on a forum :p
True. But aside from obvious stuff like spamming, soliciting, really nasty stuff, most channels are moderated by the channel owners. But I just gave YT as one example. It could be any site where you want to take the discussion places that might not be right for that site or forum.

E.g. you want to discuss a particular YT channel owner or maybe one of the commenters who's a little "off", or YT policies, but that's obviously not the place to do it. I'm sure that the technology exists and I'm just not versed in it. Perhaps reddit? Us older folks just aren't as attuned to social media or interested in spending all our time in it as younger people who would know about such things.

Anyway, I think this discussion is kind of done.

So uh, where does your brother in law live, exactly?

Not asking for me. Just you know, conversation.

😈
Youtubia, obviously!

I think there is a difference between YT, Twitter, facebook, 2 of which I dont go on, and a forum like this. Those places are trying to be a digital public square while forums like this would be like going into a parts store.

It all depends on what was deleted on here. Like I brought up the EPA earlier, thats really the only thing I can see that would be political that wouldnt create waves on here. The EPA are pretty hypocritical and selective in their enforcement. They wont do anything about turning farmland into a sludge dump and raising arsenic levels in ground water, but a car getting a chip or ecu that allows you to make something run cleaner and have more power is something to start a crusade over erks me. People have had to up and move around here in Georgia because of this waste water being spread on farm lands where crops cant really grow and the stench is absolutely horrid, but a aftermarket turbo, or exhaust or intake manifold is just an affront to human survival.

These are all valid topics of discussion IMO, but since they involve politics and because politics is so divisive these days, it's best to keep that out of here and do it elsewhere, IMO. I prefer to stick to DSM & auto stuff and the occasional lighthearted banter. Again, plenty of places to discuss these other things.

So uh, where does your brother in law live, exactly?

Not asking for me. Just you know, conversation.

😈
Hes actually finally moving to "Silicon Valley" in about 2 weeks since its now "safe" to do so. If he wasn't married to my sister....id share his info LOL

These are all valid topics of discussion IMO, but since they involve politics and because politics is so divisive these days, it's best to keep that out of here and do it elsewhere, IMO. I prefer to stick to DSM & auto stuff and the occasional lighthearted banter. Again, plenty of places to discuss these other things.
And it has pretty much been this way forever on this forum and many others. I think it seems different now because people are more sensitive to EVERY single thing now when they aren't allowed to say certain things and feel targeted, when that isn't the case in this forum IMO. Its boundaries that have been set for as long as I can remember seeing the banner on the top of sections.

Hes actually finally moving to "Silicon Valley" in about 2 weeks since its now "safe" to do so. If he wasn't married to my sister....id share his info LOL

And it has pretty much been this way forever on this forum and many others. I think it seems different now because people are more sensitive to EVERY single thing now when they aren't allowed to say certain things and feel targeted, when that isn't the case in this forum IMO. Its boundaries that have been set for as long as I can remember seeing the banner on the top of sections.
He wont always be married to her...as for his location, asking for a friend.:sneaky:

In the number of years, I have been on this site this is the first post I have read where there is conflict. I totally understand that rules are rules and no matter what your position...even if your title is founder and zookeeper you must follow those rules. Why make them if we are going to brake them.
I personally think @dustyboner is a valued member here and would hate to see him leave. I am a Super Moderator on Club3G and understand that no matter who you are you have to follow rules.
On another note....why is there that rule. If you post in off-topic anything should go. Sure...there are many that don't want to read that kind of thing and I say..Then don't read it and then bi*** about it. That's like saying I got my hand burned when I stuck it in the fire.
P.S... Please @dustyboner don't go...put this behind you...someone has your feathers in a ruffle but you are a bigger man than that. We need you brother.

We can't even talk about street racing on this site. If you want good political forums try tigerdroppings.com sub forum political talk or patriots.win or check out my boy salty cracker on odysee.com video site for the best anti commie free speech talk left on the interzones.

And you should definitely be listening to Alex Jones on banned.Video, because Alex Jones was right!

Last edited:
If you've been here 5 days or 15 years like sum of us you know not to bring that stuff up publicly. Maybe Chris may let u get away with it innthe private section but bro ur a wiseass, ohh i mean wiseman. You know why we have this policy.

Taylor swift says u need to calm down. Btw this has been a friendly dig thru the whole thing. So I hope u catch that

Since this thread is pretty popular and the majority of people want to keep it dsm-oriented, help me figure out the problem with my car. LOL Can anyone show me how to replace a distributor cap and rotor? That’s if these cars even have these, can’t find anything online. Trying to solve my misfire issue before I go back to school too since it’s a long trip and I don’t wanna put any strain on the car. Come over to my thread or DM, any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Just dropping in to say anyone who disagrees with the looseness of the current site staffing wouldn't have lasted three posts under Defiant's rule. Long live The King.

Just dropping in to say anyone who disagrees with the looseness of the current site staffing wouldn't have lasted three posts under Defiant's rule. Long live The King.

Ugh, I remember him being mean to me back in 2008 LOL

Or god forbid anyone here tried to join DSMTalk where you’d be banned for not having correct spelling and punctuation. As well as being thoroughly flamed for..well..anything. LOL.

I do really hope that @dustyboner does not leave the site. He is very valuable to this forum but also his avatar is what keeps me getting up in the mornings. His reaction though is, to me, exactly why we have the rules and why certain topics should not be touched upon in a dedicated site like this. I am definitely one of those persons that comes to this site to NOT deal with those topics and it's a relief to know I will not be bombarded with "hot button" topics. I literally have a FB account just for my car, and only to find car parts/vehicles on marketplace. Whenever I want to discuss politics, religion etc I go somewhere dedicated for that. Imagine popping into a reddit page on religion and asking which fpr they prefer while running double row 2150cc injectors. Works both ways. I am very confident @Ludachris and @dustyboner will work this out between themselves and this site will continue to be as productive as it always has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back