The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

1G idler pulley (belt tensioner?) 1991 Eclipse 2.0

Please Support ExtremePSI

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

romeroom

Probationary Member
May 28, 2024
Michigan
I'm new to this car. Definite idler pulley (belt tensioner?) and needs replacement.

I could use some help with:

1. The part. What is the part I need to order.
2. Replacement suggestions. How to stuff.

Thanks.

Which belt idler pulley are you talking about? If you talking about the timing belt idler pulley, it likely you'll need to do the whole timing belt replacement job unless you know it was done recently.

That task is pretty much the same NA or turbo and the VFAQ site has a good overview as well as the many threads here.

For timing components, depending on how much you love your car.. but if you even love it just a little, you owe it to yourself to use OEM timing components.
You can get away with aftermarket parts for a lot of stuff but personally I'd never trust anything but OEM for pulleys and tensioners.

For timing components, depending on how much you love your car.. but if you even love it just a little, you owe it to yourself to use OEM timing components.
You can get away with aftermarket parts for a lot of stuff but personally I'd never trust anything but OEM for pulleys and tensioners.
Thanks so much for your response. I'm actually referring to what I'm used to calling idler pulley. If you look at RockAuto, it shows a number of different ones.

I'm just as interested in figuring out how to remove the old one; there does not seem to be a whole lot of room.

As an aside, is there a service manual available online or for download for this car (G1)?

Thanks again.

There isn't a whole lot of room, but there's enough for an in-bay timing job. You just need a ratchet and a shorty socket.
If you're talking about these pulleys https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/eagle,1991,talon,2.0l+l4,1103061,engine,timing+idler,5748 then I would steer clear of any of them and get an OEM piece from one of the supporting vendors. The aftermarkets can work, but they can also dump their grease unexpectedly. GMB and Gates both are suppliers of a lot of aftermarket parts, and T167 Gates belts are pretty trusted, but pulleys.. I just feel better going OEM (even though the pair of them now costs over $200CAD combined :()

Your manual can be found here

There isn't a whole lot of room, but there's enough for an in-bay timing job. You just need a ratchet and a shorty socket.
If you're talking about these pulleys https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/eagle,1991,talon,2.0l+l4,1103061,engine,timing+idler,5748 then I would steer clear of any of them and get an OEM piece from one of the supporting vendors. The aftermarkets can work, but they can also dump their grease unexpectedly. GMB and Gates both are suppliers of a lot of aftermarket parts, and T167 Gates belts are pretty trusted, but pulleys.. I just feel better going OEM (even though the pair of them now costs over $200CAD combined :()

Your manual can be found here
Thanks so much!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back