The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

idle surging.... fix?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtune92

Probationary Member
Nov 1, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
i just picked up a clean talon... my second owned. and it idle surges, when its not surging it will idle at 2000 rpms.. what do i do?

i just picked up a clean talon... my second owned. and it idle surges, when its not surging it will idle at 2000 rpms.. what do i do?

Search the forum. I'm pretty sure others here have had an idle issue before. You have absolutely nothing in your profile. Start with looking for boost leaks or vacuum leaks. Check ISC, CTS, FIAV, ECU...

Welcome to the forums. i also experience this problem. but only sometimes. it seems to come and go randomly for me,though i believe it may be because my car sat for several years and needs a tune . There are some basic things to try, which haven't really helped me but may be usefull to you. Try going to Google and type "dsmtuners idle surge".

Yeah your fix should be right at the throttle body like they said its probably a bad sensor or vacuum leak check the TB. Good luck

Mine is doing the exact same thing. Mainly on cold start. Mine runs rich as hell until it warms up too.

as posted above there are many things that can cause high idle/surge. I just found out what was wrong with my car after checking/fixing many things. First try a BLT (boost leak test). I had leaking injector orings and throttle body shaft seals, so i fixed them and it didnt' change my problem at all. I bought a new BISS (base idle set screw) and oring, even with that screwed all the way in it didn't reduce my high idle/surge so i knew i had a large amount of air bypassing the throttle body. They say the egr can be a pathway to air getting in the intake so i got a rag with a little carb cleaner on it and cleaned just the area around the 2 squarish holes in front of the throttle blade on the throttle body so that some electrical tape would stick and cover the holes. Do NOT spray any type of cleaner in the holes and this can mess up the FIAV valve that those holes go to. When i put a strip of electrical tape over the two holes and put the intake hose/throttle body elbow back on car it would start for about 1 second and cut off. This will let you know where the majority of the air is entering your engine. There are two things it can be, the IAC solenoid could be bad. Search for IAC tests on forum/internet. If the IAC has been bad for a while it can burn out the IAC drivers in the ECM. The FIAV (fast idle air valve) can be bad. The FIAV shares the same passageway as the IAC pretty much. The FIAV is a thermostatically controlled valve that meters air into the intake. Normally when engine is cold it's open so when you start you get the high 1500rpm or so idle. (mainly for emissions etc), The FIAV has coolant lines attatched so it heats up rather quickly and then it will start closing off the passageway that was open and the idle will come down to where is should be 750rpm +/- 50. Once the Fiav closes which it should anytime car is warm then the main air metering device is the IAC. My car ended up having a bad FIAV valve, you really can't just go get a new one from the dealer as i heard they were upwards of 800 bucks and not even sure if still available. You can buy a bypass plate the bypasses the FIAV for around 15 bucks that still allows you to use the IAC which you need. AFter you find out where all the extra air is getting into your intake then you will need to set your base idle and might as well set your base timing at the same time. You can search those two as well.

Thanks for all the advice. I just had the motor rebuilt and now I'm having other issues. I've got a 92 N/T chasis with a turbo motor from a 91 GSX and was told to get a new engine loom and ECU. So I bought a loom and an ECU for a 92 tsi. And now the new loom does not match to the exsisting loom in the dash... What do I need to do to make this thing right?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back