The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

idle surge

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsidude

Probationary Member
Jul 13, 2003
WisconsinUS
When i start up my car the rpms go to at least 3000 every time then it drops to about 1200 and surges to 1500. I have checked the biss screw and every thing else on the vfaq site. So i think it could be a vaccum leak or a leak in my intercooler. Is it possible that a cracked vaccum hose or intake hose could cause it to start up like this and surge every time. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

If it only surges when you start and stops once it is warm, it is probably the FIAV(Fast Idle Air Valve). It is on the bottom of the TB, has two coolant lines going to it.

You can get another from a junkyard (I would buy and switch out the whole TB), or you can block off the FIAV. It shows you how on Vfaq.com b/c I did it to my car.

Not a big free mod, but it does help intake temps b/c 200 degree coolant isn't always running through the TB.

Hope this helps.

awdEI

I have a similiar problem, my car idles at 2500 Rpm constant, until warm, then surges from 1200 - 2200 rpm.

sorry to steal post, but mabye same problem my coolant light comes on sometimes too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back