The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

idle surge went away.. now low idle.. IAC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pandaswag

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 8, 2011
Naperville, Illinois
Had an idle surge for about a month.. Went away magically.. a week later. Check engine light comes on again.. and im idling at 300-500 rpm.. and if the weathers nice and im lucky itll idle around 1k normally..
I also have a horribly bad oil leak, and a belt was screaming about a month ago but it went away..

plan on taking it to the shop this next weekend and having all this bullshit diagnosed... im starting to give up on my dsm..

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Car is 1995 Eclipse GS 5 speed

Had an idle surge for about a month.. Went away magically.. a week later. Check engine light comes on again.. and im idling at 300-500 rpm.. and if the weathers nice and im lucky itll idle around 1k normally..
I also have a horribly bad oil leak, and a belt was screaming about a month ago but it went away..

plan on taking it to the shop this next weekend and having all this bullshit diagnosed... im starting to give up on my dsm..

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Car is 1995 Eclipse GS 5 speed

try adjusting your IAC, is your car the 4g63nt or 420a? im having trouble remembering which none turbos are around anymore LOL i have always went with 4g63t. Maybe your biss screw is out of wack too? Where is the oil leak coming from?

what codes is it pulling? i would start by looking for any vacuum leaks, cleaning out the throttle body and then moving on to plugs and wires, that should get you on the right path to finding the problem.

I would check your codes like the other dude said, might be tough. you got a 95 you might not have obd2 for a reader at advanced auto or if you own a reader. idk how many vacuum lines a N/T has but yes check those as well. I would be more concerned with the oil leak first tho. Your car will drive with with a wacked idle but it will only go so far with an oil leak

your best bet is to actually start with getting the code and after you get the code, do the proper testing before you go out and start buying parts and basically like the others guy said look for leaks.

also in 95 some cars have the connector of obd2 but is not compliant to the ob2 scanner cause they only made it mandatory in 96. you might have ob1 but i coud be wrong though. i believe the difference is between if its an earlier model 95 or later model.

Starting 95-99 all dsms have obd2 install, thats why he has the checklight on. Also check your tb gaskets they could be bad and check your your tb it may need cleaning.

Please read the scripts on testing and resetting a IAC before messing with the BISS screw on your 4G63 (he's not a 420A)

Bet the O2's are having fun sniffing lean or rich mixtures why the CEL is on...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back