The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Idle Surge...or worse? & battery light?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmdst28

10+ Year Contributor
May 4, 2009
Monroeville, Pennsylvania
just got my engine back from a rebuild and notice what appears to be idle surge but from what i have been reading about it im leaning towards it being something else. ive read the terrys talon article but somethin about it doesnt add up for me. when i start my car and it idles my wideband leans out to the point the car almost shuts off and it is ugly sounding, bogs down and engine shakes horribly before injectors give it fuel to level it out again only to have it happen again every few seconds. but, once the car is around operating temperature it stops and my wideband reads 14.5-15.1. my fuel pressure is between 56-60psi which is what the shop set it for and i havent touched it. also after returning home from a nice 2 1/2 hr drive on sunday i see that my battery light and e-brake light come on solid or blink which indicates to me a failing alternator??? alternator and battery are brand new and my volt meter never reads anything below 12v. anyone with any info about these issues is greatly appreciated.

also upon startup it idles around 1200rpms but when it leans out rpms drop to under 400 which is when the engine begins to bog down and shake but as soon as it gets fuel idle revs to 1500 before dropping again. PLEASE HELP.

Idle surge is an extremely common issue and has be discussed many of thousands of times!
BUT
I would first check for boost/vacuum leaks, make sure you BISS is set properly, then check your ISC valve, then your FIAV!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back