The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

idle surge... now i'm pissed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HondaHunter2002

20+ Year Contributor
May 17, 2002
Windsor_Ontario
ok so my car 92 talon n/t has idle surge.. but only for the first 2-3 minutes that the car runs.. it's almost like it only does it till somethin warms up.. and it's not the oil.. cuz even if i get my oil hot really fast it still does it.. almost like its on a timer..
i have cleaned tb, replaced tps and replaced biss o-ring.. i'm lost. i dunno what else to do.. ne one help me?
i have also tried to play with my idle.. i noticed though that when i'm turning my idle screw it feel like really loose.. almost like threading is damaged? or somethin missing in there i dunno coudl this be my problem? ne suggestions will be taken.. thanks tuners

Well, if you've cycled through the list, and it still doesnt help, have you taken a multi-meter and tested the ISC motor? My car's idle surge problems came from a worn ol' ISC motor. could be yours too, if everything else has been checked.

another thing you might wanna try...... on the throttle body...watch it as its runnin does the throttle move on its own........?
if it does turn that other screw inward (clockwise) till it stops moving...

ISC motor is the Idle Speed Control motor.

Basically, the ecu tells the motor to move a pintle in and out to determine how much air to send or retract. Over time this piece can get worn, and the electrical pulses from the ecm dont quite get through.

At least, thats pretty much what my haynes manual tells me :D

idle surge is last on my priority list right now i haven't checked into the isc motor yet because i have run into a new problem.. i'll let you know when i get around to it though.. i'm starting a thread right now about my new problem

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back