The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Idle Surge. Adjusting BISS

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ex500

Probationary Member
Apr 26, 2003
Columbus, OhioUS
My 92 Talon N/t had been surging at idle between 1000-1500rpm. I removed the BISS (Basic Idle Setup Screw) from the throttle body, removed the worn-out/stretched o-ring on the screw, replaced it with two o-rings, put the BISS back into place, screwed it down until my idle was at 1000rpm, applied some silicone in the Hole to ensure proper sealing, put the cap back on it, and WA-LA, no more idle surge!
Ez fix!! :thumb: :talon: :D

Sounds like you didn't do it right, at all.

To adjust the idle, you have to ground the diagnostics plug in the car AND the connector by the battery. Then adjust the base idle to 750 rpm.

Before you do the idle, you want to set the base timing. To set the timing, you get the engine idling (without surge), ground ONLY the connector by the battery, and set the timing to 5 degrees BTDC.

Since one of these needs to work for the other to work, you sort of need to switch back and fourth between them if they're way off.

Originally posted by kpt4321
Sounds like you didn't do it right, at all.

I think I did do it right; you see, my base idle was already correctly set. Hence, since my base timing was already <b>properly</b> set, all I had to do was make sure the BISS was sealing properly and then adjust it to where the car idled at the appropriate rpm. But that's just my $.02. Q's? Comments?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back