The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

idle just jumps up and down from about 1000 to 1500

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaBigNastyOne

Probationary Member
Jun 11, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
alright my eclipse is having problems at idle. the idle just jumps up and down from about 1000 to 1500 and when i drive it i can't get it to rev past 4500 when it get's there it backfires redicouisly (sp?). I did notice before i came in that the wastegate puller? not sure if that's what it is called was diconnected in the middle. i couldn't try it cause the turbo was too hot so i gotta connect it later. i just wanted to make sure that's what the problem was cause i gotta drive it to the auto glass place tomorrow to replace the passenger side window where someone apparently wanted to steal her in the middle of the day. sorry for the poor grammar and all that but i barely passed it in school so that's my excuse haha

What mods do you have on the car? What other apparent damage did the so called thieves do? Anything missing from the car? Usually if they don't take the car, there something in it they want.

DaBigNastyOne said:
well this is just great now it won't even start why don't i have problems like this with my nissans haha

grnchevyz raises a good point - someone may have attempted to steal the car (or something out of it) when it was broken into, and could have screwed up some electrical components, fried the ignition circuit, etc.

Might want to check out this post if you haven't already. It'll show you some basic troubleshooting practices for diagnosing the non-start condition. May not apply to your particular situation, but it should give you a few things to check out anyway: http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1825130

Are the cams turning when you're trying to start it (i.e. does it crank)?
When you turn the key to ON does the CEL light up for approx 5 seconds and factory boost gauge read 0?

it actually wasn't running when they tried to steal it or whatever but i got it fixed and i took it around the block today and during this i accelerated hard and it wouldn't rev past 4500 then i got it home and it had a funny idle problem then i connected the piece that was disconnected and now it won't start now. i don't drive it very often and it has an alarm so i think the battery could be dead or something i'll check it tomorrow in the morning

Battery....Alternator....Starter....
Check grounds, fuses, and wiring as well.

Can you push start it?

DaBigNastyOne said:
it's an auto :(

Ah, too bad :(
Well, everything else I said still goes. Looks like you've got your work cut out for you. Electrical related problems can be a pain in the a$$.....Just start with the battery - you can take your old one to AutoZone, PepBoys, Advance Auto, etc and they can test it for you (free)....it's very possible that all this is just due to a dead battery. :)

it's possible that it's the alternator i've had this problem before we'll see i guess i just wanna get the window fixed right now i'm looking to sell it shortly so i can build my 240

well i think it's the alternator i gave it a jump today with my spec v (name drop haha) and it started right up then i took off the cables after a while and it ran for a little while then plop. the idle issue was worked out i believe it had something to do with the wastegate coming disconnected. so instead of fixing the window today i gotta fix the alt. which sucks cause that means that i gotta do it instead of someone else fizuck me haha. thanks for your help. I do know cars and everything just not turbo'd cars so i don't know how differently they react to certain things.

Hey I know this is an old thread, but mine does the same thing. It won't go past 4500rpm and it also idles from 1000-1500 or sometimes it just dies if I don't give it a little gas. Anyone with opinions?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back