The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Idle issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mytrn2brn

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 11, 2006
buffalo, New_York
Hi Guy....
I've done all the research and I'm about to get to work. I've never done this kind of engine work. so that's why I'm posting before I have really done any work (don't want to screw things up to bad).
Here's the problem: When the engine is cold and i start the car. it idle fine, but when the engine reaches operating temp. The idle drops below 400. As long as the car is in gear, im good, but when i step on the clutch (as if im coming to a stop) the car dies and won't start back without me stepping on the gas.
I have changed the spark plugs and tomorrow I'll change the biss, fuel filter and PVC valve. I know that I have to check, test and clean the TB, ISC and IAC. Those are the part I don't have much experience with. I also want check my spark plug wires also, before I go out and buy more, but i don't know how to test plug wires to see if there good or bad, so any help there would be great.
Thanks

I forgot, car is a completely stock 95 gsx

to test spark plug wires, you'll need a ohm meter. Then you take the wire off the car put one probe on each side of the wire and measure the resistance! Very easy but if you don't know the value you are looking for your screwed? and don't trust the haynes manual for a 2g they are almost completely wrong LOL. But in all my experiences its probably a vac leak or iac needs cleaned. hope this helps.

try to see if you can find the shop manual online in a pdf file. "the actual manual mistu uses" but you might as well just do a tune up if it been awhile plugs wires oil change make sure u get ngk plugs part number ngk bpr6es best plugs to run and gap them yourself never trust a parts store

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll look to see if i can find the manual online. I dropped some ngk's in yesterday. didn't change the wires b/c they look like there in good shape and I don't want to start changing things that don't need to be changed. Thanks

Found it 10,000 to 22,000 ohms but the path of least resistance is always best thats why the high dollar plug wires are like 8ohm LOL so if your below 10,000 ohms i wouldn't worry about it. also try not to touch the metal part of the probes or spark plug wires when you do this as your body will throw the reading off. low ohms good high ohms bad.

Gotcha...I let you know how things turn out thanks again.
Let me ask also is there anything special that i should know when removing the TB? Seems kinda straight forward. remove the air cleaner assembly, disconnect the IAC and TPS electrical connections and remove the four TB mounting bolts. DONE?

Took me a little bit to get back to work on the car but I think (HOPE) it's fixed. I changed the biss and adjusted it so the car idles around 900 and it's holding there.
Thanks,,,,, 90 DSM

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back