The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Idle issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vexixx

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 14, 2004
West Mifflin, Pennsylvania
I got my car detailed on friday. ( my dad drove it there and back ) On the way back it decided not to idle anymore. It idles at start up when its cold. Then once its warmed up some it just stalls. Im have no idea why. I had this same issue before and I adjusted the TPS and it was fine. I tried that this time and it still stalls. Doesn't even try to idle. Any ideas? Pretty frustrating to drive a car that wont idle, kinda gotta keep my foot on the gas all the time.

Read last post for update! Its an old thread!

Not the biss, the tps. You can adjust its voltage, mine was adjusted to like .55 at idle or so my afc said. Im not sure why that fixed it. Ill check the ISC.

If you adjusted the TPS through your SAFC, you did not actually adjust the TPS, you adjusted the airflow to make the idle increase or decrease. But check out the BISS and ISC.

We'll I took the ISC off my buddies car(working) and put it on mine still no change. When I adjusted that tps last time, I loosened it up turned it a hair and tightened it back up and thats when it was fine. My afc just said it was at like .545v or something. Anyway, ISC isn't the problem, any other ideas?

Sorry if this is insulting, but is your pvc valve hose plugged in? I have no idea why it wouldn't be if it was only getting detailed, but I know when I did my head rebuild everything was good except it wouldn't idle for more than 3 seconds. I thought I did something horribly wrong when I realized I was just a moron for not realizing it wasn't plugged in.

Lol not insulting at all. Im looking for any possiablities. Its pretty crappy out so Im just in and out of the house tryin to mess with stuff. Im gonna check it out, Good look, thanks.

EDIT: Dont wanna bump my thread, but checked it, all good. Um, spark plugs and wires next? I dunno?

I would definitely check plugs and wires. I'll try to think of some others things it could be and get back to you. Having your DSM not working properly sucks big time. I know.

my car does the same thing, in neutral the rpms just drop and the car shuts off, but once i get going it smooth sailing until i come up to a stop light:confused:

I am having the same problem. I encountered this few months ago and it was lose positive battery cable but after cutting off, i wouldn't have any battery power at all so I knew it was the battery. But 2 days ago, same thing happened again, however, the battery terminals are perfectly fine and I checked the spark plugs and wires. Rechecked all the vacum hoses. After the car turns off from coming to a complete stop, when I restart the car again, it idles fine, until I put it in gear and come to another complete stop, it cuts off again if I let off the gas. Extremely frustrating. If anyone figures this out, please post it.

Replaced ISC, Plug Wires, Spark Plugs, no boost leaks,no water in the intake, and its not the BOV. Still doesn't idle. Sometimes it'll attempt to idle at around 500rpms? Sometimes it'll also idle at like 1600 rpms, only briefly though, then it'll stall. If I start it up from a cold it'll idle just till it warms up, then it stalls. Just as the people above , if the car isn't in gear, its not stayin on. It'll stall heh. Anymore ideas? Im confused. Im going to try the fuel filter maybe?

Hey guys. You guys aren't venting your BOV to the atmosphere are you? When you loose power and your ECu resets it sometimes will revert to the factory setting and if your running vented to the atmosphere you can cause your car to starve for that air.

Hey guys im still having issues with this idle. I checked the ECU for a burnt fishy smell to see if it had problems, but all looked good! I tried a couple iacs, nothing. Got another throttle body and put it on, still didn't work(yes I put new gaskets on it). I looked at the egr, both nipples where open. I put a hose on one of them to close it off, nothing. Im planning to block it off completely to see if that works tomorrow. Im running out of ideas. Car will run fine, perfectly fine if I give it around 2% throttle or while im driving it runs fine, but if the throttle is at 0% ( or so the tps reads ) then the car just dies (stalls). Ocassionally it will attempt to idle around 500 rpms for like 10 seconds then die. Also something I never thought about, the car wont start unless I hit the gas for a second while im turning the key. I need help , im getin a headache and its getting beyond annoying.

I'd like you try try something just for kicks. Unplug the ISC on the back of the throttle body, disconnect the battery to re-set the ECU and try setting your idle from the BISS with the ISC left unplugged. I've seen this work before and I've tried it successfully as well. This is more for surge issues, but it could help with your problems.

Give it a shot and let us know what happens,

Andy

So I gave it shot. Unplugged the IAC, took the negative off the battery, went inside and ate. Came out, put the negative on and still just stalls... Im not sure if it'll help but a video maybe if I can take one?

I also blocked off the FIAV and the EGR, still nothing.

Did some more diagnoses today. I unplugged the TPS and made the car idle by pressing down on the gas pedal, when I had it around 1100 steady I would have somoene plug in the TPS and it would instantly stall. Any comments on that?

i had idle problems as well. soon as i would let off the gas, it would stall. i replaced my tps with a new one. its been over a year and everything is fine. hopes this might help.

i too had idle problems. Mine however occured because my car was 1 tooth off timing. I redid it and now it idles great.

hey im having the same exact problem as you. I cant figure it out as well. this is the forum i was asken questions on maybe it will help you http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231865&goto=newpost
Im going to try out some of the things listed in here. dose your idle drope even worse when you turn the power on? Check to see if any of your pullys are seezed up or hard to turn maybe there causing the engine to stall. Im about to check my TPS and see if its causing my problems too.

Just to let you know i found a vacume leak on the line to my PCV valve. i fixed it and it seemed to help for a little while then it started acting up a bit but not as much as before its kind of hard to tell i still got to take it on the road. Since we got almost the same problem i was thinken that it might help you out a little bit to know. Good luck. (also try retiming the car)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back