The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Idle heat surge

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velmin hu

Proven Member
May 25, 2019
Las vegas, Nevada
Greetings, so I notice when I drive temp is normal, when I come to stop after long driving the idle would drop around 700-800. And the temp would start to rise then the fan turns on then the temp will drop back to normal. Is this normal or an issue? Thanks it’s 96 gst with also my a/f gauge would go above ———- or 17. when this happen and no reading. But when I drive cruise it around 14.6-15.2. When I hit gas it goes down towards 13, or 12. So basically when I stop at light or idle for long time it will do this. After drive around normally.

The only time your af should read --- is when ur decelerating in gear. If your in neutral or at dead stop you should have a reading. And if at open throttle your seeing 13 or 12 that's way to lean for a turbo car.

Have you checked the quality of your coolant and if it is filled all the way? Any small leaks of coolant that might not be visible at first glance? Usually overheating is pretty straight forward. As far as the afr have you checked for any exhaust leaks or boost leaks at all that could be interfering with normal operations?

Have you checked the quality of your coolant and if it is filled all the way? Any small leaks of coolant that might not be visible at first glance? Usually overheating is pretty straight forward. As far as the afr have you checked for any exhaust leaks or boost leaks at all that could be interfering with normal operations?
The reservoir is half way filled should I fill it to the top?

Greetings, so I notice when I drive temp is normal, when I come to stop after long driving the idle would drop around 700-800. And the temp would start to rise then the fan turns on then the temp will drop back to normal. Is this normal or an issue? Thanks it’s 96 gst with also my a/f gauge would go above ———- or 17. when this happen and no reading. But when I drive cruise it around 14.6-15.2. When I hit gas it goes down towards 13, or 12. So basically when I stop at light or idle for long time it will do this. After drive around normally.

It sounds like you have air in your system. I’ve had that happen before.
Make sure the sucker tube going to your reservoir doesn’t have cracks/dry rot.

Now for your wide band, if you’re idling it should read 14.7 or around that fluctuating.
Any thing higher than 15.5 consistently I recommend looking at what vac you’re pulling and do a boost leak. You might be pulling air from somewhere causing it to run lean.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back