The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Idk.... boost

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oct 10, 2019
Savannah, Georgia
Driving home from work this morning, everything was fine. In 5th gear, (possibly 60-70 as no speedo) step on the throttle for a bit of fun, boost gauge hits ~20 psi, fuel cut (I think) starts popping and throwing a flame from the exhaust. My buddy was next to me and texted about the flame. After that my boost gauge wouldn’t read below zero, and if I hit touches the throttle at all it would jump up to 30psi. Was also running like it was misfiring after that happened, and didn’t want to stay idle at the stop light after. Wanted to die (but never did). Not sure what exactly is going on. I will be investigating tomorrow.

So if you touch the throttle it instantly goes to 30psi? Your description of post events might need some clarification.
A leak on the wastegate reference or busted wastegate altogether would kill your effective boost control, definitely..
the rest of the ignition issues are different.
with no log i would look at ignition related electrical connections and your plugs to see if theyre still intact..
any mechanical noises?

You should probably take it to a mechanic. You havent even popped the hood to look at anything so if that didnt cross your mind before this, theres nothing we can say to help you

Not that it didn’t cross my mind, that’s why I will be investigating tomorrow, pretty sure something popped loose, just had many other things to do today. Wasn’t really sure where to post as it was more of a “hey this happened” not a “hey guys what the heck is going on” type of post. Today was a get work done at home day, and tomorrow is a work on car day. Have to balance things out.

if a coupling between the turbo and intercooler came off, how did you make 30psi whenever giving it throttle? that would be the worlds largest boost leak.. especially given then that your charge pipes would still somehow pressurize higher than the wastegate could control.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back