The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Identify axles

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bedicine

Proven Member
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto, ON_Canada
Hello

Hoping someone can help identify which axle is what for the car. When I bought the shell it came with 4 axles but non were labelled. Car is a manual and has LSD

Thank you

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I can at least say that the one of the far right is for the rear LSD diff. And all but the far left have ABS tone rings. Those can be knocked off if you don't have ABS or moved over if you need one.

I'm sure somebody will be along who knows the rest.

I don’t have abs, do they just pry off or do I just leave them on with no effect?

Is far right the drivers side or passenger?

The ones on the left were boxed together so assuming those are both fronts then

On an AWD (not sure about FWD), front driver axle is two pieces. The CV axle has a female section that connects to the half shaft. The half shaft has a carrier bearing which mounts to the engine block. The side closest to the carrier bearing is what connects to the female side of the CV axle.

Edit: yeah, what ^^he said

I really don’t have much idea. But the two on the left look like the same thing to me except that one (the right of the two) has the ABS ring. They are not for the driver front as that has the intermediate shaft in an AWD application and the outer shaft does not have male splines on both ends. My guess would be passenger front.

The others, again, look like the same thing to me except one, the one on the right based on what Steve said, is for an LSD rear. No idea which side it would be for, though.

Last edited:
Aftermarket versus OEM? Auto versus manual?

Check Rock Auto as they have specs for all different varieties of front axles there. You can check the compressed length versus what they list. I have posted in the past that the compressed length of an AWD front right axle for a manual transmission is 25-1/4 inches.

Just ordered a new pair for the front. Looks like passenger side is supposed to be 25”

Looking on the forum I’m being pointed in the far right axle is the passenger side rear.

Aftermarket versus OEM? Auto versus manual?

Check Rock Auto as they have specs for all different varieties of front axles there. You can check the compressed length versus what they list. I have posted in the past that the compressed length of an AWD front right axle for a manual transmission is 25-1/4 inches.
Is the spec for the auto trans version about 7/16" shorter? If so, is that difference in the center shaft or in one or both splined ends?

Asking because the auto version has a compressed length of about 7/16" less and for some reason my car - which is lowered a little and has aftermarket lower front control arms - may be pushing the pass side axle in too far.

Or the 'premium' axles I've tried are both over-length, meaning made wrong.

Regardless, I'm thinking of putting an auto version pass front axle in to get more length clearance. Advice requested.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back