The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Ideas for keeping spare tire cover secured

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim97gst

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 2, 2002
Bethel Park, Pennsylvania
I have a speaker box in my trunk. I wanted to secure it to the spare tire cover (that cheap wood thing underneath the carpet). I put some L brakets on the sides of the speaker box. I then put bolts in from the underside of the spare tire cover and secured them with washers and a nut. The speaker box then goes in with the bolts going through the L brakets, secured with a wingnut on the top. I can pull the speaker box out very easily for racing or if I need to get to the spare.

My problem, is that if I go over a pretty big bump, the whole package, speaker box and wooden spare cover, crashes onto the body of the car. I put some carpet foam under there a long time ago, and it helped some. The problem is now amplified with my new suspension. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas of how to get the spare tire cover secured to the body of the car, but also be able to be easily removed in case I need to get to the spare. I tried velcro once, but I couldn't find any good way to keep the velcro stuck to the underside of the spare tire cover. Any ideas???

Thanks

How about rubber-tipped braces that run down from the hatch, so that it _can't_ bounce?

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you explain a little bit more? Would they be able to come out easily with little or no tools?

I just realized that I haven't seen if I can even get the stock jack under the car since it's been lowered some. I have to drive it up on a couple pieces of plywood now to get my floor jack under the front. If I can't, I guess I could not worry about haveing to get to the spare easily and rely on tows. That doesn't seem like such a good idea though.

It may be a bit of work but:
Get two bolts that are long enough to run from under the sheetmetal of the trunk and up through the tire cover. Drill a hole on the left and the right side of the tire mount that is the same size as the bolts. Put some silicone sealant around the hole to prevent rust and to keep water/exhaust fumes out. Run the bolts up through the bottom and secure the bolts with some big washers on the underside. Then run a nut and a lock washer all the way down to the bottom of the bolt on the inside of the trunk clamping the bolt in place. Then you can get a wingnut and secure the tire cover to the bolt.

Originally posted by splattj
It may be a bit of work but:
Get two bolts that are long enough to run from under the sheetmetal of the trunk and up through the tire cover. Drill a hole on the left and the right side of the tire mount that is the same size as the bolts. Put some silicone sealant around the hole to prevent rust and to keep water/exhaust fumes out. Run the bolts up through the bottom and secure the bolts with some big washers on the underside. Then run a nut and a lock washer all the way down to the bottom of the bolt on the inside of the trunk clamping the bolt in place. Then you can get a wingnut and secure the tire cover to the bolt.

same exact thing I was thinking :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back