The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

I would ike to hear your opinons on this talon.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSX Eclipse

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 9, 2006
Coal Center, Pennsylvania
I just graduated high school and now just enrolled in college. I was lucky enough for my mother to buy a 2004 hyundai sonata for us to share a few years ago and to give it to me once in college.

I dreamed of owning an awd dsm since I was 13. Now that I'm 18 and have more than enough money for a 1995 talon I found with 80k, all stock, awd, 5 speed, and one owner I'm stuck.

I can either trade in my beautiful sonata with 58k and get just enough money to pay it off and spend 4gs of my hard earned money on this talon which is 9 years older than my almost new, reliable sonata. I pay for everything on my sonata, insurance, tires, maintenance, etc.

Should I let her keep paying on this car as my graduation present or sell it and pay it off and spend 4gs cash of my money on a car I've dreamed of owning? I would like to hear the opinions of the good people on DSMTuners.com who have possible been in similar situations.

:thumb:
Thanks

btw here are some pics of my whip
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Well if you really want the DSM thats what i would have to go with, but having a reliable car to get you threw college would be nice. If your dreaming of the dsm go for it

I say keep the sonata, as a college student you don't want an un-reliable car, not saying ours aren't unreliable, but they are the glass cannon of the tuner world. You WILL want to drive it fast, and you WILL break shit for doing it. I would wait.

You can find a '95 a lot cheaper than that. I've seen them in the Indianapolis area for 2K in good condition, AWD and manual. Personally, I'd keep the Sonata as a daily driver... it's a more reliable vehicle IMHO. If you can't afford the Sonata AND the DSM, I'd keep the Sonata until you can.

You can find a '95 a lot cheaper than that. I've seen them in the Indianapolis area for 2K in good condition, AWD and manual. Personally, I'd keep the Sonata as a daily driver... it's a more reliable vehicle IMHO. If you can't afford the Sonata AND the DSM, I'd keep the Sonata until you can.

I can afford the dsm and sonata but not the insurance on both, my mother has full coverage on all 3 of our cars and my name is no where to be found anywhere in her policy, in order to have both cars a car would have to be in my name and insurance would sky rocket for her, and I'd have to pay not only my part but also the couple hundred dollar difference.:sosad:

In that case, I'd do the more sensible thing and keep the Sonata. The last thing you need while you're in college is your car breaking down and costing you money you don't have, IMHO.

Lucky you Tim. My parents wouldn't allow that, considering they don't even want me on their policy. If anything happens, they'd get screwed over too.

Same here, no insurance for me unless I get my own.

I myself would take the lump and keep the Hyundai and get the AWD talon. Then get liability insurance on them both. You don't have to worry about not having a car to drive when the DSM breaks down(which it will).

I'd keep the Sonata, pay it off then, get a nice DSM. It's good to be 100% focused while in college.

To the OP. You have to at least be listed as a primary or secondary driver on your mothers policy or they could refuse to cover you in the case of an accident. If youve been listed as I stated you could talk to the company about migrating you to a liability account. I know I carry liability on my DSM because the value on them isnt much. If you carry full coverage even a minor fender bender can be written as a "total" to some insurane companies on top of that the car is 14 years old.

Talk to them if you have a good driving record it shouldnt be much I pay like $50 per month thrugh state farm. Im only 23

hmm the hyundai would be an awesome reliable car but on the other hand the talon is bone stock which means less issues... id say if you do it try to keep it stock as much as possible with the exception of some somple bolt ons and what not

Find a way to keep both -btw hyundais arent that reliable maybe yours but- i go to dealers auctions with my old man all the time and they have push thru pull thru lanes- where they haul in broken down cars and auction them and an unbelievable amount of hyundais kias and dawoos go thru there every week more than any other cars -:D

I would sell the Sonata and get a late 90's Civic CX. Those cars are VERY low maintenance, good on gas and VERY reliable.

The pre-2006 Hyundai, aren't very realiable. and getting a DSM means you will be tempted to beat on it and mod it.

But hey, I followed my dream and look at me now.

I myself would take the lump and keep the Hyundai and get the AWD talon. Then get liability insurance on them both. You don't have to worry about not having a car to drive when the DSM breaks down(which it will).

From the sounds of it, there is money owed on the sonata. If that's the case they need full coverage on the sonata.

Search for a dsm within your price range an keep it as a side toy an always remember its a toy. I have a nissan 300z as my daily because it has 200,000 plus an wont stop running and the dsm is my summer car an i think it is reliable but i do ALL tune up stuff before the service manual calls for it to be done. Keep the hyundai if its runs well for you. I have the nissan on my insurance in the winter an the dsm in the summer an just switch them back an fouth so it keeps the insurance down. Im 22 in college an still doing my dream car just work my ass off to afford the mods too. You can do it man.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back