The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

I was put in handcuffs last night.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sting0004

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 29, 2002
Buckscounty, Pennsylvania
This topic seems harmless enough, but I don't know if its considered "illegal activities" in the rules (delete if needed). Anyway... I'm a sophmore at Penn State university. I just got my 2nd underage drinking and public drunkeness citations. The penalty for this is normally a couple hundred dollars in fines and a 1 yr loss of licence I believe. I know I'm wrong for drinking underage, I don't need to be told that. I just would like advice on what my options are. I'm sure some of you have experience with this stuff; any tips or advice? On a side note, the officer spelled my last name wrong (off by two letters) on the citations, could that get me out of this? I can't live without my licence, I'm honestly contemplating joining the air force just to get my shit together. I was looking forward to summer driving, now it seems like its going to be a tease. Thanks for any help. -Matt :|

Hire a lawyer if you want to try and keep your license, but you will pay.

you werent driving your car when this happened? why would they take away your drivers license for being druink on campus?

Ive received like 5 or 6 alcohol fines from my college (borderline alcoholic, LOL), and they never brought the law into it.

Your best bet would be to maybe strike a deal with your college administration, say you NEED your car for work, and then offer to do community service or something.

Need more info on this one

Its not the college that gave me the citations. Its the cops from the college's town. I was not driving at the time. They take your license away because they know college kids don't care about the fines nearly as much as they care about their license. Its a means of deterrence. I lost my license for 90 days the first time around a while ago. A year will be suicide. My bank account doesn't allow me to hire a lawyer. Should I try representing myself or ask the parents for a loan to acquire one? -Matt

you could try getting a lawyer but since your underage...basically your ####ed even if you do get one...no joke...no offense towards you but drunk drivers are the lowest of the low scum of the earth next to rapists in my book.....it only takes one mutilated body of a friend in a drunk driving accident to stop you from ever even thinking about doin that :notgood: hand the keys to a friend next time

what the hell happened to house parties? just dont be walkin around drunk in public and your fine.
good luck tho.

Ryans99OZ said:
you could try getting a lawyer but since your underage...basically your ####ed even if you do get one...no joke...no offense towards you but drunk drivers are the lowest of the low scum of the earth next to rapists in my book.....it only takes one mutilated body of a friend in a drunk driving accident to stop you from ever even thinking about doin that :notgood: hand the keys to a friend next time

I WASN'T driving. Just walking to the bus to get home. My friend's mom was killed by a drunk driver, I would never drink and drive. -Matt

Ask your parents for a loan to buy a new pair of Nike's, you're gonna need 'em.

1993eclipseGS said:
:tease: "Do the crime, Pay the time."

I will attest to this. You were in the wrong. Even if he misspelled your name, your still guilty because you signed for the ticket.

Yea. He said I didn't need to sign it if I didn't want to but I signed it anyway. I just tried to be as polite and helpful as possible. I don't know why I was handcuffed. I wasn't trying to run away or fight or anything. I asked them to take them off and he wouldn't. Is it standard procedure to handcuff you for public drunkeness even when you're cooperative and nice? -Matt

marcmsj said:
signing the ticket is not an admission of guilt :cool:

Signing the ticket is not, but signing it is acknowledgment of the ticket, yes. It's a promise also to appear in front of the court.

sting0004 said:
Yea. He said I didn't need to sign it if I didn't want to but I signed it anyway. I just tried to be as polite and helpful as possible. I don't know why I was handcuffed. I wasn't trying to run away or fight or anything. I asked them to take them off and he wouldn't. Is it standard procedure to handcuff you for public drunkeness even when you're cooperative and nice? -Matt

I think if you don't sign, that is reason for them to take you to court/jail immediately. Considering what your doing is a misdemeanor, you would have to either spend time in jail, or sign the ticket which would be acknowledgment of the "complaint". It was probably easier for the cop to let you go then fill out paperwork and book you.

sting0004 said:
Its not the college that gave me the citations. Its the cops from the college's town. I was not driving at the time. They take your license away because they know college kids don't care about the fines nearly as much as they care about their license. Its a means of deterrence. I lost my license for 90 days the first time around a while ago. A year will be suicide. My bank account doesn't allow me to hire a lawyer. Should I try representing myself or ask the parents for a loan to acquire one? -Matt

Plead not guilty then when you have a preliminary hearing maybe the prosecuting attorney will pleabargin....I got a DUI and a Careless Driving...I Plead not guilty because I was above the legal limit buy like half a damn point..I passed all the tests....Careless was because someone seen me driving fast...WOW 5mph above the limit. But instead they dropped the DUI and Careless and just gave me a DUI Per Say not as bad does not go on record pay out the ass lose DL for 6months and take class's but thats in Montana every state is different

Defiant said:
Seriously. Get help with that drinking now.

As for the rest of it, yeh, you're pretty much done until you're of age.

And Yes Defiant is right drinking is bad, I am seeking help for my problems. All it leads to is problems..and a really bad hang over

I don't know if this will help but try to take and asap class before court it will look better on you. Since you weren't driving they will most likely let you get an restricted license to drive from like 7 in the mourning until 7 at night depending on your scheduale. Thats all I can think of right now but its a start. :dsm:

sting0004 said:

It is Standard Operating Procedure to cuff anyone they detain, for both the person's and police officer's safety. Especially intoxicated people, as they can go from being very nice polite one second, to being belligerent and agressive the next.

Get some help for the drinking.

sting0004 said:
I just got my 2nd underage drinking and public drunkeness citations.

It's a good thing people learn there lessons.

sting0004 said:
On a side note, the officer spelled my last name wrong (off by two letters) on the citations, could that get me out of this?

No and you shouldn't be trying to get out of it.

sting0004 said:
I can't live without my licence,

You should have thought of that before you got all drunk and wandered around.

sting0004 said:
I'm honestly contemplating joining the air force just to get my shit together.

Everyone thinks the military will straighten them out, look at yourself and straighten your own shit out.

I absolutely love how all these thread come up that say "I did something wrong, I know, but still tell how me how to get out of it or blame it on someone else." :toobad:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back