The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

I think Tranny Has Gone Bye Bye... I need Opinions!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon91tsiawd1

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 29, 2006
ny, New_York
Ok so my friend has a 95 TSI AWD and here is his problem.

Ok so i was driving 100% normal just cruising on the highway.. i get off a exit and all of a sudden im going up a hill and i give it a lil gas.. the RPM's jump along with the Speedometer and then when i let off the speed would drop back down to what the car was really going.. it was almost like i was doing a 4 wheel burnout but the tires weren't spinning.. its does it in every gear even reverse... its not the clutch because any slipping clutch ive ever had the RPM's would jump but the speed would stay the same.... idk this is weird.. ive never had a problem like this before.... also all axles are fine and i also noticed that when moving slowly forward and then backward that there is a somewhat loud click type of noise that i am hearing from the passenger side...

Sorry if i explained it a little confusing but its kind of hard to explain LOL... im going to get all 4 wheels off the ground tomorrow and see what i see and hear while i have someone sit in the car and start driving it...

Check to make sure the axle is completed seated in the transmission. I've seen axles not locked in and it did the same thing. Make sure the bolts that hold the intermediate shaft to the engine block are present and tight.

Personally, I don't feel that it is a front diff ring gear issue; more likely a center differential failure, or a front differential spider gear/shim failure.

Have you drained the transmission yet to see what is coming out of it?

Have you completely confirmed that the passenger-side axle is FULLY installed in the transmission? If you are not certain, pop it out, and then pop it back in to confirm that it is properly seated.

I do agree, the center diff would normally not cause a problem like this unless it ate the spider gears causing it to freewheel, and putting the output to the front through an open diff.

Front axles, or front diff would be the first things I would look at, but it is hard to deduce a problem when you have so little information.

Since the front diff it "open" a popped out axle would do this. The rear wheels would spin as well as the front diff but the path of least resistance is where the axle is not hooked up. Tripple check the axles and look under while it's driving (in air) to rule out dead splines on the hub. How bad would it suck to build a trans and have the same issue?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back