The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

I think my backs going to hate me after this one..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisman287

Proven Member
Jul 19, 2021
New_York
I found a 6 bolt short block about an hour away that has pistons, rods, stock crank and no balance shafts. Lower pan, front case, water pump and timing components are on there also. I’m going to check it out this weekend but..

1. I don’t have a pick up truck so considering removing the pass side seat on my daily, throwing some blankets and a tire down for it to sit in.

2. I don’t really have a way to get it into the car besides me carrying the thing and dropping it in. I’m 6’2 285 I don’t think it’s going to be a big issue but it’s not going to be fun. I considered taking the head as well since it’s available but that’s more weight to consider albeit it not much more (no cams).

Who else has done this in the past? Any pointers or suggestions? Last time I bought a motor for another car it was on a stand and I was able to get it loaded/strapped into a trailer.

EDIT: Found this video online 😅
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
I've done this exactly the way you described, with good success. Back didn't hurt much as I had help from the person selling the engine. I suggest make sure you have some 2x4's or 4x4's to help brace the engine from rocking or shifting. That was the only issue I had. Stuck it on a tire, but it wasn't quite enough.

They aren't that bad, I hauled mine in the trunk of my Spyder to take it to the machine shop up in Wakeman at one time.

Just be sure to lift entirely with your back. Take your legs and arms completely out of the equation.

:p

But to answer you I had the seller help me load it into the car and it was okay. I’m not exactly a power lifter but I’m not weak either. Was much better with assistance. Getting it out I did it by myself and just bear hugged it.

Can’t say on the room in the vehicle though as I used my edge which is roomy AF.

My scrawny ass could barely lift the 100 pound BARE 4g63 block onto the engine stand, let alone a full longblock :cry: Good luck and be careful!

I think the long block probably weighs 200 lbs? Short block 160? Not 100% sure.

I feel like getting it in and out of the front seat area is going to be kind of awkward.

Can't you make things easier on yourself by breaking it down into a short block and head combo? That way you can also be reasonably certain it is void of all fluids. It's going to be extremely cumbersome to get into the vehicle at such a low height and you risk damage to your car and yourself.

Quick "research" revealed the short block is about 190, the head is just under 50.

Last edited:
I bought a short block in pieces and sent it off to the machine shop to get put together.

Picked it up off a hand truck entirely with my back no legs LOL Had a Caravan as a rental so put it on the rear seat on top of a folded quilted pad. Got home and carried it from the van to the Talon and plopped it in the passenger seat on top of another folded quilted pad.

Would’ve been a bi*** if it was a full long block but would I do it again if I had to - Absolutely.

Picked it up off a hand truck entirely with my back no legs LOL Had a Caravan as a rental so put it on the rear seat on top of a folded quilted pad. Got home and carried it from the van to the Talon and plopped it in the passenger seat on top of another folded quilted pad.
I liked your original plan better. Remove passenger seat and go full send. Here's me on my way to the shootout three years ago. The transmission fit in there nicely.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It's my Autozam AZ-1. The shop mangled my turbo that year so the DSM wasn't ready. The AZ-1 became a pit vehicle of sorts. Now that I think about it, I've never taken a DSM to the shootout. How fitting.
I had to look up what that was. I've never heard of one. Cool and unique car. Maybe I'll see it driving around Indy sometime

Not during the winter, but the AZ-1 is all over the midwest when there isn't salt on the ground. Hell, it just went to Huntsville two weeks ago. Cars & Coffee and Artomobilia every year, too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back