The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

I think I've been scammed in the Tuners classifieds!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownfinger

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 26, 2008
Normal, Illinois
Not badmouthing anyone by name, I just want to know how to go about this. The last I heard from this guy was on Nov. 18. He had gotten my paypal payment and said the parts would "go out tommorrow". Well now it's been a couple of weeks, I've recieved nothing, and I got no response from a PM I sent asking for info/tracking number. The package was supposed to be two motor mounts, shipped from CO to IL. How long do I wait before I slam this guy in the feedback section and tell paypal that he ripped me off? Should I send him some threatening emails/pm's first, or just tell paypal that I need my money back?
It was only about $65, but I'm broke and so are the mounts on two sloppy-shifting Eclipses out in my driveway.
Any help is much appreciated in advance.

I would not recommend threatening anyone on such a small purchase. If it was a much larger one (expensive turbo, engine, car, etc.), the story would be different.

I typically give people 2 weeks or so to get me my stuff unless they tell me they have some extenuating circumstances. This should be enough time to package it up and get it to my door from anywhere in the country. Then I send them a message asking if they have any updates as I haven't received the package. If I don't get a response in a few days, I file a PayPal claim and let the seller know I did so. I typically don't give people warnings about filing PayPal claims so that they might not have the opportunity to withdraw any money.

I don't leave any feedback until the transaction is complete, that way I can post accurately what went on if necessary.

Don't wait to long to file a paypal claim, I believe the cutoff is 45 days after the seller recieves the money

Ouch. Sorry to hear about your luck. On the upside, if you figure out he did indeed steal your moolah, I'm still in a pretty "grrrr" mood...could always feed 'em to me. :D

Ouch. Sorry to hear about your luck. On the upside, if you figure out he did indeed steal your moolah, I'm still in a pretty "grrrr" mood...could always feed 'em to me. :D

He's in Colorado. You'd be better-off going to Texas and getting your car. Plus, it was only about $65. That would only be worth it if it were a short drive. Thanks though. Maybe you should search-out one of the jack-a$$es who caused your wreck last week and unleash on themROFL!

I reported this to paypal, and our present, trusty moderator has been very helpful (thanks!). I'm sure something will come of it. Maybe this will work-out how it always does when I think someone stole my lighter: I accuse my closest friend of having stolen it, then I find it right where I left it. Works every time. Now that I reported him to paypal, I'll probably have them on my doorstep tommorrow.:ohdamn:

Last edited:
I'd get your $65 back and spent abit more on some inserts Motor Mount Inserts Mitsubishi Eclipse 1G GS RS GST GSX:eBay Motors (item 110298629683 end time Jan-04-10 10:25:06 PST)

Which mounts are you needing? I have a few laying around that may still be good.

2 (two) 1G driver side 4G63 mounts. I tried to get my $65 back, but I'm pretty sure there is nothing to do untill I hear back from paypal. The guy actually does have a ph# up on his profile, so I think I'll give him a call here soon. I'm tired of sitting around waiting.

wait for pay pal, I got ripd on a set of cams on here a while back, guy never responded after he got the money. I had to wait 2 months but i got like 80% of my 300 bux back from pay pal. It took them a while to respond so i did call them a few times to speed the process up. GL!

Not badmouthing anyone by name, I just want to know how to go about this. The last I heard from this guy was on Nov. 18. He had gotten my paypal payment and said the parts would "go out tommorrow". Well now it's been a couple of weeks, I've recieved nothing, and I got no response from a PM I sent asking for info/tracking number. The package was supposed to be two motor mounts, shipped from CO to IL. How long do I wait before I slam this guy in the feedback section and tell paypal that he ripped me off? Should I send him some threatening emails/pm's first, or just tell paypal that I need my money back?
It was only about $65, but I'm broke and so are the mounts on two sloppy-shifting Eclipses out in my driveway.
Any help is much appreciated in advance.
The first question I would ask is, did you get his phone number? Give him a call. Not everyone is on top of email and PMs. If you didn't get his phone # then I'd have to ask why you didn't get critical information from a person you were entering into a transaction with online. Did you also fail to get an address where this person lives? That's pretty brave, and a little naive. Too many people enter into transactions without protecting themselves these days and I don't know why.

If the person doesn't reply to a phone call within a few days, I'd take action. If they fail to reply to an email sent to he paypal email address after 2 weeks, I'd take action. But damn people, please do more to protect yourselves. We have tons of helpful suggestions in our Help section of the Classifieds.

If someone screws you on the classifieds let everyone know there name. XXXX screwed me and someone else. he give us two different addresses. If we nail them on small scams they wont have a chance to screw someones on a big scam.

Last edited by a moderator:
If someone screws you on the classifieds let everyone know there name. XXXX screwed me and someone else. he give us two different addresses. If we nail them on small scams they wont have a chance to screw someones on a big scam.
Unfortunately, that's a questionable way to handle it, and it's not allowed in our forums. The better solution is to take a few precautions to prevent it from happening in the first place, and leave Feedback for the member in question after the transaction - positive or negative - so that members can get a better feel of who is more trustworthy.

The better solution is to take a few precautions to prevent it from happening in the first place, and leave Feedback for the member in question after the transaction - positive or negative - so that members can get a better feel of who is more trustworthy.

I know you're right, but I've generally had positive experiences with the Tuners classifieds that I got complacent and let my guard down too much. Cut me some slack, it's not like I work for the Secret Service or anything!:cool:

Anyway, guess what? The package finally showed up today: I got a box with two useless pieces of crap in it. Two busted-up ruined old eclipse engine mounts; one for a 4g63; one for a 4G37; both useless shit. Wow. Now I have 6 useless, busted-up, no-good, driver-side engine mounts! Yippie:notgood:

Make a claim in paypal that the Item was not as described, You may have to pay shipping back to them to get your money back though.

Then,
Find some where that can press out the inside of your old mounts
if your on a budget you can get a signal mounts insert out of the sets

Here I think this is the right one
90-94 Mitsubishi Eclipse DSM Prothane Motor Mount:eBay Motors (item 310139105965 end time Dec-25-09 11:54:28 PST)

I'd Just give you the 2 mounts But I looked and all the ones I have seen better days you'd just be in the same boat as right now

Make a claim in paypal that the Item was not as described, You may have to pay shipping back to them to get your money back though.

Then,
Find some where that can press out the inside of your old mounts
if your on a budget you can get a signal mounts insert out of the sets

Here I think this is the right one
90-94 Mitsubishi Eclipse DSM Prothane Motor Mount:eBay Motors (item 310139105965 end time Dec-25-09 11:54:28 PST)

I'd Just give you the 2 mounts But I looked and all the ones I have seen better days you'd just be in the same boat as right now

Thanks. It's good to know those can be had individually. That one mount seems to wear-out quicker than the rest of them.

I know you're right, but I've generally had positive experiences with the Tuners classifieds that I got complacent and let my guard down too much. Cut me some slack, it's not like I work for the Secret Service or anything!:cool:

Anyway, guess what? The package finally showed up today: I got a box with two useless pieces of crap in it. Two busted-up ruined old eclipse engine mounts; one for a 4g63; one for a 4G37; both useless shit. Wow. Now I have 6 useless, busted-up, no-good, driver-side engine mounts! Yippie:notgood:
Hey man, I'm not judging you. I sometimes let my guard down too. But the problem is, too many let their guard down and then try going around our system to make up for the fact that they didn't protect themselves - like the guy I was replying to was suggesting you post the guy's name in the forums. I'm just trying to get people to do more to prevent being ripped off so they won't have to use our forums to try and solve issues later (especially since we don't allow it).

Hope you're able to get your situation worked out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back