The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

I think i might have crankwalk

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No theres really no fix once its started.

What do you mean your having problems with your cluch, explain? Dont just assume you have it, most motors have already walked by now if they were going to.

I explained my clutch problem to someone and they said it sounded like CW this is my first DSM and kinda irritating...I Read forums on CW and it refers to a ticking coming from the timing belt area and i don't hear a ticking...but anyway my clutch will randomly pull itself to the floor by itself but not engage you will have to put your foot under it and pull it back up to get it in place.. people had told me that it could of been master or slave cylinder losing fluid or w/e my reservoir was always full but none the less had the slave and master put in brand new it worked for like a week then it started doing it again i am in desperate need of help if you can shed some light on my current problem thank you

crankwalk....been there before :notgood: LOL well you can try a simple test to see if it really is the dreaded crankwalk. take your car to an empty parking lot, turn the wheel pretty much all the way to the left and start driving in left hand circles,(not fast but a moderate speed, put the car in netural and (as you're still going in circles at a steady speed) pump the clutch in and out several times. If you're foot beats the clutch back to the top thats not a good sign, when the cars crankwalking depending on far along the evil process is the clutch will feel like its sticking. Like stated above there is really nothing you can do to when the cars crankwalking. Be sure it is actually crankwalk tho. The other check for it is at the crank pulley. But check everything 1st, what is the clutch problem you're having?

when ever i lightly touch the pedal like put a little pressure on it, it pulls itself to the floor and you have to put your foot under it and pull it back up and it has a hard time coming out of gears even when pumping the clutch and reverse is a pain....

do you hear a ticking when the clutch is pressed down? Well since you've ruled out the master and slave cylinder. There is really nothing else it could be unless its the clutch/pressure plate its self is screwed up..how does the clutch engage?

what do you mean engage were does it grab? ###### just below half and it changes in the weather if that makes sense like if it is hot and humid it is really bad and in the cold it responds great i just don't get it? i just wanna sell the thing WTF

does the clutch pull itself to the floor all the time? can you pump the clutch? try the left hand circle turns in a parking lot, it'll give a better judgment on crankwalk.

You know my car hasn't cranked walked but I think I'm going to try that just for safety. I've never heard anybody recommend that before.

the problem is you'll most likely take a loss selling it with how its acting...but it does really sound like crank walk...do the test and go from there...the only way to fix is to swap a 6-bolt engine in it...I made a mistake about 8 years ago when my 2G motor blew I rebuilt it and about 4months later it crankwalked I ended up swapping in a 6-bolt which isn't to difficult to do, just let me know how the left hand circle test goes, then you can even check further to ensure it is 100% crankwalk, cause the worse or (further along) the crankwalk process is the clutch will stay to the floor more often.

I think you are being paranoid about having crankwalk. I had similar problems before my clutch install, and instead of replacing the clutch cylinders, I rebuilt them and bypassed the reservoir. Properly bleed your system. Pay close attention toward the end of the article, on how to bleed your slave cylinder. If the problem still persists, install the SS line from RRE, and bleed again. Lastly, rebuild your cylinders. Before jumping to conclusions about crankwalk, make sure the clutch hydraulic system is working properly. If it is crankwalk, I'm pretty sure the pedal should only fall in a left turn. Also, RRE sells the rebuild kits. You should give 'em a call...

I had the same problem with my clutch. I would randomly find my clutch pedel siting on the floor and i would have to physically pull up with either my hand or foot. I broght it to my mechanic who replaced the master and slave cylinder. It happend about a month ago but its been perfect since i had to two things replaced.

^ as above. Use a dial indicator mounted on the block to measure how much crankshaft end play you have. If this is beyond your capabilities, pay a shop to do it.

Please type more carefully, use a spell checker if you need to (it seems you do), and do not use "u" for "you" on this site.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back