The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

I think I got cheated, what do you guys think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlegend

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 2, 2012
Pemberville, Ohio
I am going to write this as fair and impartial as I can. Back in early January I bought a new ebay turbo (16g) from a guy on craigslist. I then got on here and everybody convinced me to sell it and get a genuine Evo III 16G.
I think I ended up with $190 back from the ebay turbo. So in March, I posted a WTB add for a genuine E316G and had a few responses. I ended up buying from a member on here who said that he had an Genuine E316G. He sent me a picture of a turbo, coolant lines, and manifold stud - AS IS. (I bought this from him in March for $300).

Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago, turbo was blown and would not build boost. So I sent it to jusmx141 for a rebuild. He came back and told me that the hot side was from a small 16g or big 16g, but it wasn't an evo hot side, but it was a true MHI Evo III compressor housing. The CHRA was from an ebay autocracy that someone tried to rebuild with a mix of parts. Justin said that this turbo would have never built boost and it would be pouring oil into the exhaust. The locating pin was also cut off to fit the ebay CHRA. It is going to cost $350+ to repair this turbo.

So I went back and filed a claim with paypal and said that it was not as described, missing parts, and defective.
He said he had a Evo III 16G and I did not receive that. I literally got a pile of assembled scrap parts. The seller kept saying that he sold this to me as is. If the turbo would have been a true MHI Evo III and it was blown, I would have no problem keeping it and rebuilding, but what I got was clearly not that.

Paypal sided with the seller.

Oh, and this user joined Tuners the day he sent me a PM that he had a turbo he would sell me. I saw that too late.

Now I'm out $300 and have to finance a new turbo/rebuild

So did I get ripped off or was the seller right

And this guy has a business that caters to DSMs, He has a website and everything...

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your experience. In business reality the seller is free from being responsible or liable. Good morales and good business ethics say he's in the wrong, especially when he has a business and website. At the very least, a good business owner/operator would try to meet you in the middle or some type of compromise. Sounds like he's done this before. I wish I knew who it was so I didn't purchase anything from this member. Thank you for sharing your story.

Sounds like you got taken for a ride or it's possible that the guy knows knows nothing about turbos and though it was legit by the compressor cover...
Either way that is unfortunate for you who got burnt whether it be on purpose or due to ignorance. It definitely does not show good business practice. :notgood:

Seller sounds like a POS and intentionally tried to mislead by putting a legit E3 compressor housing on a scrap pile. That being said, I think the seller was completely in the wrong and from a moral aspect is completely liable; however, I am not remotely surprised by Paypal's judgement.

Many years ago I got ripped off on a turbo by someone who had originally bought it from FP, allowed contaminates to get in there and blew it, sent it to FP for diagnosis, didn't want to pay to have it repaired so FP sent it back to him and he sold it as a low mileage good condition turbo. Well, I had called FP and talked to Robert about the situation and he gave me a piece of advice that does have some merit. He said, "would you buy a used baby diaper? No? Then don't buy a used turbo."

Now, I am not against buying a used turbo in the right situation with the right seller. I have bought used turbos before and they were great, but I get where he is coming from. It's VERY easy to get taken advantage of when dealing with car parts that have moving parts and require strict tolerances. This is why I have never bought a used "built" motor...

Don't forget to leave your feedback on his profile/trading stats, let's make sure he doesn't rob anyone else. With all the turbo services offered by him, definitely wasn't ignorance.

That really sucks man I had something similar happen to me when I bought a small 16g from a member with "absolutely no shaft play or cracks" and of course that was not the case. I didn't even install it but luckily was able to sell it on eBay (with full disclosure) and onlylost a few bucks.
Unfortunately there's a fine line between deliberately deceitful and just pure stupidity.

After talking to the OP, I was able to confirm that the seller has another account on here and has neg reviews for taking advantage of buyers. Also, Turbotsi95 is the screen name on Ecmlink forums, which that site does not have a rating system.

On a side note, I had a problem with the seller on a FB sale ad and had to file a paypal dispute as well. His FB ad was pull down because of people claiming that they were scammed as well. The usual MO is the item has shipped but he lost the tracking number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Junk parts in a legit compressor housing? Scam.. 100%. Either he built the turbo, or got taken and decided to pass it along to the next person.

So I talked to paypal. Luckily I got a guy who knows cars and turbos! Paypal closed the case because the person reviewing it thought that the turbo was for parts only. I have to get a letter from a 3rd party shop stating that it is not an E316G and I will most likely get my money back. Yay!

I am surprised Paypal sided with him. I had this happen to me on my Big Evo 3 16G which I bought in eBay as "rebuilt" but in "as-is" condition and when it got here, it was incomplete and definitely not rebuilt (more shaft play than a prn movie). He stated the same argument your seller did and sending the pictures and proof I got reimbursed for the full amount including shipping. I actually rebuilt the turbo, upgraded to a 20G wheel/comp and got a new turbine housing with the reimbursement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back