The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

I think i destoryed my engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almst 92 tsi

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 5, 2008
Bremerton, Washington
I have a 95 gst 1g block 2g head. 272 cams e316g and other bolt ons.

Hey guys i need some help badly!! I just got done with a 6bolt block 2g head swap and i cannot get the damn thing to start. First off i bought a rebuilt engine and whoever assembled it put the timing plate behind the crank sprocket upside down. So i lined everything up and started the motor. Please dont tell me that the valves are now bent. It was off from tdc about an inch. Anyway i fixed that and folled everything that magnusmotorsports had to say in there right up but i cant get it started still. I also did the short route vacuum routing eliminating hella solenoids? can you do that with a stck ecu and nothing to program the solenoids and vac lines out? anway its taken me a year to finish this and i am hella dissapointed. please give me some advise or test or procedures OTHER than refering me to magnus motorsports. like i said i changed the injector trigger wires and reversed the spark plug wires

I just got done building my car too. If the timing marks were a inch apart. Its a possibility you bent your valves. Also does the car turn over? You live in the northwest too. If you weren't so far away from me Id definitely come over and help figure out your problem.

yeah the engine turns over and i got it running but it was hella rough and didnt feel right at all. i dont know what to do. im gonna be pissed if i bent the valves. oohh mann. it been a year of me peicing this pos together. anyway i dont even know where to start to get it running. thanks for the response.

Run a compression test. If low, run a leakdown test to find out.

hoe exactly do you do a leak down test. also what is the firing order supposed to be? i know what the book says and i know what magnus says but i tried every variation and it will not start. also does anyput on he vac diagrams?one out there have any in

An INCH is a large change and most likely the motor has bent valves when you put it in didn't you have to install a new timing belt or check for anything like smooth rotation ?

hoe exactly do you do a leak down test. also what is the firing order supposed to be? i know what the book says and i know what magnus says but i tried every variation and it will not start. also does anyput on he vac diagrams?one out there have any in

You'd have to buy/borrow a leakdown tester, hook it up to a large compressor, 120+ psi, thread into the spark plug hole, and add air. You would hear the air leaking out of either the intake or exhaust if valves are bent, and out of the PCV/Dip stick if the rings are shot.

I'm not sure offhand what teh firing order is for the 6 bolts.

pretty sure firing order is 1 3 4 2, make sure when doing the leakdown test you have that cylinder at TDC and that its on the compression stroke.

Take off your valve cover push every rocker arm that falls off for each one you're able push off they are bent.

An INCH is a large change and most likely the motor has bent valves when you put it in didn't you have to install a new timing belt or check for anything like smooth rotation ?

yeah i had to check for smooth rotation and it was tight at a cerain point buy didnt feel like it was hitting anything. it felt like really tigh compression

Take off your valve cover push every rocker arm that falls off for each one you're able push off they are bent.

it doesnt matter the location of the cam loebes? just push the rockers and if it falls off they are bent?

Rotate the motor by hand, my first car had bent valves and would still crank but when done by hand i could feel it hit and get stuck. In my situation it ended up being a few bent valves damaged piston tops and like two valves completly broke into peices just sitting on the piston.

Rotate the motor by hand, my first car had bent valves and would still crank but when done by hand i could feel it hit and get stuck. In my situation it ended up being a few bent valves damaged piston tops and like two valves completly broke into peices just sitting on the piston.

i did rotate by hand and it rotated smoothly after i fixed the timing belt issue. i just can get it to start now. dont know why. im thinking i might have to hook all the vac lines up?

You could get by replacing the valves and seal with new oem. Was there constant tickng like diesel, this refers to piston slap. If its a faint tciking comes and go thats bad lifters.
Drop your oil pan to be safe, if theirs stuff in there.

Don't rotate the engine anymore you can add damage, this is the thing about people and wrecked motors they wanna try and turn them on/drive.

Don't try to start it, until you take head off. Yes
take the cylinder off off, and see what you did wrong.

Don't rotate the engine anymore you can add damage, this is the thing about people and wrecked motors they wanna try and turn them on/drive.

Don't try to start it, until you take head off.

I agree, this is gonna be the best thing to do.

I agree, this is gonna be the best thing to do.

well that just sucks cause thats not what i wanted to hear. I was just hoping that i coulod have possibly missed the valve. i am going to do a compression test and see what the numbers say. hopefully they are ok. what should the compression be?

well i hope that everything turns out aight also. if it doesnt then i guess oh well and ill pull the damn head and fix the valves! not the first time ive had to replace valves. haha. had a timing belt break on me beofre shitttyy. anyway, thanks for all the replies.

the easiest way to find out if you have bent valves is to turn the motor over by hand WITH THE SPARK PLUGS OUT. It will build NO compression then, so if it gets hard your hitting a valve. Otherwise it will keep turning over smoothly

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back