The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

I simply ask for your opinion.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droppinbottom

Banned Member
Nov 7, 2005
####, Yukon_Canada
I hope this does not violate any rules on this forum and if so please let me know.

All I am asking for is a unbiased opinion on what I should expect.

Here is my situation. I recently purchased a few hundred dollars worth of various parts from a vendor. After recieving the parts something did not look correct to me so I contacted the vendor. The vendor was friendly and curtious. We discussed my questions and I realized with their help that what I was noticing was partly out of a set of parts half of what I ordered would work and half would not. The parts that would not work is in my opinion a design flaw. I took a few pictures of what I was having a problem with and then forwarded them to the vendor. I spoke with the vendor and told them I would be sending the pictures and verbally discussed the problem with them. The vendor seemed to understand and told me they would discuss the problem with the manufacture of the part and see what could be done. I understood that.

Today I get a email from the vendor stating that I am to return the flawed part to them and the correct piece is going to be custom and will cost more so I will have to pay them for the corrected piece.

Now am I wrong to feel that for one I should not have to pay for return shipping? Keep in mind the product originally shipped is flawed. Lastly I can not understand how it is going to be a custom piece that will be made for me. The piece should be the same for all 1g owners who order the part from them.

Do you think I should have to pay additional cost. I know the additional cost will probably be under $50 or should the company just absorb that cost in the hopes of keeping a customer who could potentially spend several hundred more dollars with them and they get the benefit of knowing the product is correct for future sales?

I am trying not to mention the product because I think it would be a giveaway for the company and like the title says I want a unbiased opinion. Some of you may like the company and some may not. This thread is not here to bash the company. If the company I am refering to reads this thread and chooses to say who they are then so be it.

Thank you for your time and opinions.

50 bucks is pennies to a company, but it's enough for you to never buy anything from them again... You would think that they would value their customers more and stand by their product. Either way you're in the right and they should just be covering all costs IMO

First of all, I don't think this post is breaking any rules. I think it's a very courteous way to address your problem.

Does the vendor agree that this is a flaw? As an example, if you get a downpipe and it doesn't bolt up to the stock cat because it's intended for use with a 3" test pipe or high-flow cat, that would be a problem if you had a stock cat, but I wouldn't call that a design flaw.

If the vendor agrees that it is a flaw, I'd ask them (politely) if they can explain why they think that you should pay anything more to have the issue resolved.

I've had it go both ways. First, I got ripped off after I payed to send a completely flawed part back and never got a refund. Then I get the same part from another vendor where one of the options was wrong (their mistake) and they gave me a pre-paid shipping voucher and sent the correct part (they shipped the correct part out immediately). I gave the second company more business.

Good luck!

The part you ordered is it for all 1g's or 1g's with certain modifications i.e. 1g's with 3" exhaust or xx* of camber or must have upgraded intercooler from brand x ?

The part you ordered is it for all 1g's or 1g's with certain modifications i.e. 1g's with 3" exhaust or xx* of camber or must have upgraded intercooler from brand x ?

I am going to try to answer this as best I can without completly disclosing the shop or the part.

The part was for a 1g with a specific upgrade. It is a very common upgrade but not one that comes from a specific manufacture.

The design flaw that I think the part has is that it was intended to be able to bolt to the same factory location as the part that it was replacing. The reason it can not be bolted to this location is because the manufacture decided to use a different end fitting which is too large to fit through the factory mounting hole thus not allowing it to be mounted properly. This part is a first run for the manufacture and a first run for the vendor to sell them. I was told that I was the first to of ordered it this way but I am sure there will be others to order this same setup. Hopefully the next product will be correct and save the next people the trouble I am going through.

Mods if you think it is ok I can post pictures to show what I am talking about but I still don't want to throw any names out.

ask the vendor to send a "call tag". it means that the shipping company they use will come and pick the item up from you and you are cut out of the shipping ect. allthough, you will be responsible for the item being packed correctly, if it gets broke in transit from you to them, you are at fault and will eat the part.

btw, 50 bucks could buy you 2 raffles.:thumb::rolleyes:

The vendor seems to be a courteous vendor who offered a solution to you. I am also willing to bet that the $50 extra is the vendor's cost and he/she is not making any money but is just trying to please you, the customer. Sometimes things don't always go as planned. If you are pissed off at the vendor, send the part back and ask for a refund. As for return shipping, call them and ask them to send you a pre-paid mail sticker because you shouldn't have to pay for shipping.

Almost 3 years ago I bought RRE's long downpipe for my 2G AWD. The downpipe that I got in the mail was RRE's long downpipe for the 2G GST. I called them and a week later, I got my long AWD downpipe with a UPS return mail sticker to return the GST downpipe. I installed the AWD downpipe on my car, took the GST downpipe in the original box to UPS and shipped it back. Mistakes happen all the time and parts aren't always perfect, what matters most is how the company deals with it and how they treat the customer. RRE has me as a customer for life!

By the way, good job for posting a thread without any vendor names, part names or vendor bashing.

^^ Thanks for moving I completly understand why you put it here. I should of put it here in the first place.

As far as the solution they offered. That is why I made this post. Their solution was for me to ship the part back to them and to pay additionally for the correct part. They never offered to pay for return shipping. I understand that whatever the additional cost will be is a price increase for a different part. They did make money off me on the original sale and should make sure their products work before shipping them if it is the first run of the parts. That is the only reason why I feel like they should possibly absorb the extra cost, as I am using my time and effort (customer R&D) which is worth something to improve on their product for future sales.

I had a recent issue with another vendor who shipped the complete wrong part. They admitted they shipped the wrong part and went out of their way to get me the correct part as quickly as possible and then emailed me a prepaid return shipping label. They will definitly get more of my business.

^^ Thanks for moving I completly understand why you put it here. I should of put it here in the first place.

I didn't move it. A moderator probably did.

As far as the solution they offered. That is why I made this post. Their solution was for me to ship the part back to them and to pay additionally for the correct part. They never offered to pay for return shipping. I understand that whatever the additional cost will be is a price increase for a different part. They did make money off me on the original sale and should make sure their products work before shipping them if it is the first run of the parts. That is the only reason why I feel like they should possibly absorb the extra cost, as I am using my time and effort (customer R&D) which is worth something to improve on their product for future sales.

While I agree, if this vendor is the only company that sells this specific part, then you don't have any other options. Call them, ask for a refund and wait until the next run of parts comes out OR just pay the extra $50 and have them pay for the return shipping. I wouldn't pay both.

I am going to try to answer this as best I can without completly disclosing the shop or the part.

The part was for a 1g with a specific upgrade. It is a very common upgrade but not one that comes from a specific manufacture.

The design flaw that I think the part has is that it was intended to be able to bolt to the same factory location as the part that it was replacing. The reason it can not be bolted to this location is because the manufacture decided to use a different end fitting which is too large to fit through the factory mounting hole thus not allowing it to be mounted properly. This part is a first run for the manufacture and a first run for the vendor to sell them. I was told that I was the first to of ordered it this way but I am sure there will be others to order this same setup. Hopefully the next product will be correct and save the next people the trouble I am going through.

Mods if you think it is ok I can post pictures to show what I am talking about but I still don't want to throw any names out.

Ok if this is a common upgrade that we do to our cars, and the vendor/manufacturer knows this, then you should not be paying for any of it. also if this is a first run product and all of the r&d was not done correctly then you STILL should not pay!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back