The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

I own a '92 TSi and a 99 GS, and...

Should I Even Do This?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

essentialDSM

Probationary Member
Apr 3, 2006
Columbus, Nebraska
...since I have the best of one world and the worst of another, how difficult would it be to blend the two into one pretty, fast, and AWD 2G package?

The two vehicles in question:

A 1999 GS Norhtstar White Anniversary Edition, with the OZ wheels, black leather, and 108k on the clock. (And a nasty oil leak. Go figure. Frickin Neon crap motor...) Still paying off the loan, as well. It has a lot going for it; it's pretty, it has 1,200 watts of Alpine and various audio components, gets great mileage, and reasonably reliable. Awesome road trip car. The good spoiler. GD Automatic.

A 1992 Talon TSi, $600 from the local boneyard. T-boned, and left for dead at only 102k. Still quite driveable, when it isn't blowing head gaskets and/or warping its head. Previous owner apparently had an unscheduled meeting between #4 intake valves and piston, as evidenced by its rebuilt head and shot pistons. (The body damage wasn't really that bad, just a smack under the B pillar-the door opens, shuts, and locks, even flies open when not locked and the car is turned real hard to the left! ;) ) I have a bit of a temper, so the rest of the passenger side is now absolutely destroyed. It has been hit with a 4-way, a hammer, my feet/fists, and a machete. Oops.

GD Automatic.

The Talon, despite its outward appearance and lack of worth, did have one thing going for it that was discovered shortly after my second head gasket abandoned its mission. I pulled off the exhaust manifold, noticed TD05H stamped on the compressor housing, and googled the serial number - lo and behold, a 16G! WTF? Guess the last owner had bits of piston and valve eat up their turbo, and did me a favor (and cursed me, at the same time.)

I used a Hallman MBC to move up to 16psi, after squeezing the fuel pressure regulator .030" and measuring the fuel line at 52psi of gas flow. Of course, this was before I knew what snail I had, so I guess I was detonating. A lot.

No matter. In went a set of Arias forged aluminum pistons, fit to the long throw rods by the local machine shop. Now would be a good time to mention that this is a March 1992 build, with the 6-bolt crank and the 4-bolt rear end...

See where this is going? All of the fundamentals are in place. Considering I own the motor, the ECU, the pistons, the snail, the long-throw rods, balanced and weight-matched bottom end, freshly planed head, Mitsu metal head gasket (hope that's wise) and all the AWD trimmings, as well as a 1999 Eclipse, it would almost be a shame to put this hardware back in this beaten and maligned 1992 Talon.

Who among us has already subjected themselves to what I contemplate, and been this lucky and cursed? Wait, two DSMs are cooler than one. But when one could be handily beaten in a drag race with an alcoholic slug with a headcold, it makes it hard to love the pretty 2G. And when the other looks like it has been smashed into every guardrail in the Sierra Nevada, repeatedly, it makes it hard to put this godlike 4G63 into.

Knowing now the broad discription of my situation, what headaches/heartaches would I be setting myself up for in the blending of crappy and good? Is it even possible to put 1G AWD hardware under a 2G? Can I just put in FWD automatic to match the 4G63 and bolt it in? Will the 1G's ECU fit somewhere?

Am I nuts? How do I go forward? Please help me. Thanks in advance, and I hope this post is in the right place; I cannot seem to post in the 420A forum.

Thank you, DSMcamaro. However, I am more concerned with the transplanting of the motor and transmission, than the AWD assembly. That would only be a bonus.

The information will be useful. Thank you again.

You cannot, I REPEAT CAN NOT swap a 4g63 into a n/t 2g. Well, I guess you could but it would require butt loads of money, you would have to change the whole motor mount/trans mount setup for it to work. Do a search next time this has been covered many many times before.

Alright, nevermind. This is a silly idea. It would be wiser to find a GST or GSX 2G shell, then. I feel a little embarrassed...I will remember to search more in the future. I guess I never thought about the fact that the 420A is facing the wrong way, and the subframe must be therefore different. Thanks for not just saying, "You shoulda bought a turbo to begin with." I like the fact that there are so many knowlegable folks on these forums. Thanks - even though I kinda wish I hadn't even posted this! :)

Additionally, I think I will just find a cheap and decent 1G to put my rebuilt 4G63 into, FWD or AWD, either way. And as much as it hurts, I might have to sell the 99 N/T. Hey, not having that car payment would be nice, and maybe the profits would help me do whatever it is I decide to do. All I know is that I really, really want a manual transmission, even though I will have to find another ECU.

I would imagine that it would bolt in, and since I already have an automatic's ECU, it still won't be a cinch. But, it's possible, right? I'm currently lurking, looking for 1G N/T to 1G turbo conversions. So far, all I'm seeing is information concerning using the NT motor with a turbo, and I'm thinking about the whole motor going in and the old one going, well, I don't know. But I think this is the right way to go. Your thoughts?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back