The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

I need some help w/ 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duhh_Asian

Probationary Member
Sep 22, 2015
Clarksville, Tennessee
My temp gauge rises up to 3/4 of the meter. It continues to rise even to the square where it basically saying its overheating, but there's no smoke or smell coming from the hood of the car. I've changed the thermostat and engine cooling temperature sensor. I don't know what else to do.

My temp gauge rises up to 3/4 of the meter. It continues to rise even to the square where it basically saying its overheating, but there's no smoke or smell coming from the hood of the car. I've changed the thermostat and engine cooling temperature sensor. I don't know what else to do.
Is it overheating or no? Could be a bad head gasket.

Is there any loss of coolant or oil in the coolant? Any smoke out of the exhaust? Also are you sure the coolant system is funny bled? An air pocket can make the sensor read higher than the coolant temp actually is.

I the gauge inside the car is a dummy gauge. It doesn't give you much real data. Any chance you can get your hands on an obd2 scanne? Then you can see what the ECU is seeing for actual temperature off the temp sensor (the 2 wire one on the t-stat housing).

Does it just happen when you are sitting still, or does it happen at highway speeds as well. If it just happens at slow speeds or while not moving you should check to make sure your radiator fans are working.

Is there any loss of coolant or oil in the coolant? Any smoke out of the exhaust? Also are you sure the coolant system is funny bled? An air pocket can make the sensor read higher than the coolant temp actually is.

I the gauge inside the car is a dummy gauge. It doesn't give you much real data. Any chance you can get your hands on an obd2 scanne? Then you can see what the ECU is seeing for actual temperature off the temp sensor (the 2 wire one on the t-stat housing).
I do have a obd2 scanner. I'll have to try that. What do you mean by funny bled?

Does it just happen when you are sitting still, or does it happen at highway speeds as well. If it just happens at slow speeds or while not moving you should check to make sure your radiator fans are working.
It just happens when i'm sitting still. I know the radiator fan is working because when i parked it up on my driveway and looked under the hood the fan was blowing.

Sounds as if the cooling system needs bled. Meaning a pocket of air could be trapped in your cooling system, likely around the coolant temp sensor. This would cause inaccurate readings because it is detecting the temperature of the air trapped instead of the coolant temperature.

Last edited:
I do have a obd2 scanner. I'll have to try that. What do you mean by funny bled?

Sorry stupid auto correct. I meant fully bled. Like make sure there is zero coolant in the lines.

What I usually do (with a cold engine) is open the radiator cap and start the car and let it run for a few minutes. This will help bleed out any air that maybe in there.

See if you can plug into the OBD2 and get a reading of what the coolant temp sensor is actually seeing for temperature.

I like to remove the coolant sensor and slowly fill with coolant until it starts running out the open hole for the sensor. Then reinstall the sensor and finish it off the way dsmcrzy stated above. Either way at least that should ensure no air is left in the system.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back