The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

I need help with my 4g63t 2g engine.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matanza

Probationary Member
Jan 22, 2020
Puerto Rico, Puerto_Rico
Good afternoon and I apologize if this is not the section for this question. I actually use a translator to be able to communicate with you and I don't know if I changed the words. I ask for understanding

my datsun which was made 4g63 2g engine from eclipse 98 gst. full forged,
It has ft550 AEM smart coils I am looking for recommendations to know which is the correct spark to use on the street daily, I hope to put about 20 pounds on it my turbine is a borgwarner 400, my injectors are 2000cc. I tried the br9 but it melted them fast when I was in the correct mix. look in the serch but not exactly my case. I hope you can help me.

This 4g63 mechanic is new to me. I hope not to bother you with my doubt. :)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Nice car! I'd go ngk br7 gapped at .25 and see if that helps

On my 40 lb boost car, I run BP8ES's gapped at .018" to keep spark from blowing out/misfires.

Donnie, you are right and I had my numbers wrong. I run the non projected tip plugs also. It's a 10:1 E85 motor, the one I am just now getting back together in my Red 90 Talon.
Sorry for my confusion on the numbers. Thanks for putting that in the thread!

Wait a minute you guys, he's already melted 9's and 9's are colder than 7's or 8's.
So I don't think 7's or 8's are going to solve the problem.

I wonder if his "correct mix" is actually correct. Maybe his mix is too lean.
OP the correct mix when in boost is usually air/fuel of 11:1 about.

Last edited:
If he melted 9's, the mix in NOT corrrect.
OP, what fuel and octane melted BPR9ES's at 20 lbs of boost and what were your AFR's?
i would be worried about piston damage also if I were melting plugs. JS

How long is the separation in the spark? USED 20 POUNDS OF BOOST, with naphtha gasoline. Considering the coils that I have installed AEM ELECTRONIC.

Last edited by a moderator:
with naphtha gasoline

Well, I'm not sure exactly what is naphtha gasoline in Puerto Rico, but just googling and reading about it in general, it sounds like the octane of it would be way too low. I see one article that says it is about 70 RON. Holy cow.
Other stuff I see says it is like what we call "white gas" here. That is what you'd put in a little camp stove or camp lantern.
You need proper high octane gasoline.

So I just drove past the Puma gas station #69, on PR-844 in San Juan, in google maps.
They have a sign out front that says "Premium 93 Octanos".
That's perfect.
I also read a page https://totalenergies.com.pr/en/what-octane-rating-gasoline
which says that octane is measured there the same as it is here, the average of RON and MON. So your 93 should be the same as our 93 here.
Google maps says they're open 24 hours! 🙂

Actually it looks like you could get 93 octane premium at just about any gas station there.

Así que pasé por la gasolinera Puma #69, en PR-844 en San Juan, en Google Maps.
Tienen un letrero en el frente que dice "Premium 93 Octanos".
Eso es perfecto.
También leí una página https://totalenergies.com.pr/en/what-octane-rating-gasoline
que dice que allí se mide el octanaje igual que aquí, la media de RON y MON. Así que tu 93 debería ser el mismo que nuestro 93 aquí.
¡Google Maps dice que están abiertos las 24 horas! 🙂

En realidad, parece que podría obtener una prima de 93 octanos en casi cualquier estación de servicio allí.
NAFTA=GASOLINA NORMAL DE USO DIARIO, ACA USAMOS ECOMAX 93 OCTANOS. PREGUNTO LO DE LA SEPARACION DE LA CHISPA EN EL SPARK POR QUE LOS INJECTORES SON MUY GRANDES A MI ENTENDER Y LA CABEZA DEL MOTOR (HEAD) ESTA PORTEADA Y PULIDA HASTA LO ULTIMO.

NAFTA=NORMAL GASOLINE FOR DAILY USE, HERE WE USE ECOMAX 93 OCTANES. I ASK ABOUT THE SEPARATION OF THE SPARK IN THE SPARK BECAUSE THE INJECTORS ARE VERY LARGE TO MY UNDERSTAND AND THE HEAD OF THE ENGINE (HEAD) IS CARRIED AND POLISHED UP TO THE LAST

Last edited by a moderator:
93 oct is “ok”. You may be limited by knock. Start with a low boost setting 10-15psi on stock timing tables until you have your tuning dialed in.

As mentioned target 10-11:1 Air Fuel ratio using a wideband 02 sensor, and use a traditional spark gap 0.22-0.25 ish

if you go with a very cold plug, it might be hard to start. Seriously. I’ve seen guys use a cigarette lighter on a cold plug, heated and installed, just to get going on cold morning track days

-J

Last edited:
I looked around for info on what spark plugs to use with the AEM High Output IGBT Inductive "Smart" Coil (30-2853).
Those are the coils you have, right?
Anyway, I can see why you mentioned them because they are really different. Very long spark duration and also high voltage and high current. So there's a lot of energy going to the plugs.
But I don't see anything about using any particular spark plugs with them.
Maybe if there is somebody in here using them they could comment!

The AEM "instructions" are ok for installation but very slim as a user manual. The only useful thing I see in there that might be relevant to your problem is regarding the Dwell time.
"When setting the dwell the following guidelines should be used: Target a base dwell time of 3mS and only increase it when needed due to high cylinder pressures."

Is your dwell time set to stay at 3ms, or are you running it at higher dwell times?

The way you mounted those coils to the firewall is kind of beautiful. Looks like they are stacked out on aluminum stand-offs that you probably made in a lathe. I like it!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back