The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

I need help with a head gasket

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBgst

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 25, 2002
LouisianaUS
Ok I know this subject has been beat to death but I just got done reading some threads on this and now I don't know what I should do. I'm rebuilding my entire motor right now and looking for some advise. Well to start off I'll be running 9.0:1 compression. I plan on running at most 27psi( at the track) but more likely in the 24psi to 25psi range for a while. I will also be using ARP hardware. Now with that said what be a good direction to go with as far as the head gasket sealing goes? I'm not real familar with oringing ethier. Should I get the block oringed or not? Can most machine shops oring the block? The one I'm using is more of a v-8 focused shop. The reason I'm using them is that they are the best shop around. Also another point of consern is should use factory torque specs on the head or should I bump it up for the added boost? I'm asking because I need to tell my machineist so he use the same torque on the torque plate when boring the block right? I've got one more question. If the head needs to be milled I need to get a thicker head gasket to compensate right? If not it will affect the cam timing correct? Sorry for all the questions but I didn't think the head gasket sealing was going to be problem until I started reading some threads on it. Please don't flame I have read up on this. I just want to make sure that I completely understand this before I have the machine shop start on my block.

Thanks,
Carl

you could o ring the block but i wouldnt. you can mill the head .008" til its useless. you dont need a thicker head gasket but cam sprockets would help to dial in the timing. if your using arp head studs they should have torque specs in the box of studs. buy the mitsu steel head gasket, that will help it seal. lastly i hope you dont plan on running 24 psi on pump gas. depending on your setup i would keep it around 17-18 psi.

Pretty much what he said. ARPs have their own torque specs. Get the metal head gasket from Mitsu.

www.partznet.com sells the Mitsu metal head gasket cheaper then anyone else. If your going to have the block decked and the head surfaced then I see no reason not to run the Mitsu head gasket. the stock one would more then likely be fine though.

Get a Cometic head gasket. They don't have the sealing issues that the mitsu metal does. The offer them in 2 configurations. Either a standard 3 layer.. which is available in varying thicknesses to make up for decking the head excessively. Or the High Boost gasket that is .054 thick.. w/ a .057 ring around all the cylinders. This is effectively similar to Oringing the block/head. I know several very fast guys running this gasket w/ no issues. The standard gasket is about $80 & the High Boost gasket is about $120. I can get these.. but they'd have to be ordered... I know that Magnus & TurboTrix normally keep them instock.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back