The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

I need help. Please.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frosty420a

Probationary Member
Sep 26, 2011
Statesboro, Georgia
About a week ago, i was driving down the road about 45 and the engine just shut off. The radio and the lights and all were still on, but it wouldnt crank back up. I got to looking at it a little bit more and noticed the timing belt wasnt turning. A buddy of mine started pulling the plug wires and when he pulled the last one oil went everywhere. There was oil all around the spark plug in the hole so I got new plugs, wires, and a valve cover gasket set. I replaced everything and it still wont crank. It tries to crank but wont turn over. Somebody please help. Its my DD and I need it to get back and forth to class. Does anybody know what is wrong? And please dont say its hydro-locked. :|

maybe you should find out why your timing belt isnt turning?

if it snapped or the tensioner failed, etc then its not going to run.

My guess is oil pump, or balance shaft ceased and caused the crank to just rip the teeth off the inside of the timing belt. Not all the teeth but enough in one spot where there's no more teeth for the crank gear to grab and turn everything.

Or possibly the auto tensioner failed, or tensioner pulley bolt backed out. What's the tension like on the timing belt?

Like already mentioned 90 percent chance you're going to need to do some head work :(

My guess is oil pump, or balance shaft ceased and caused the crank to just rip the teeth off the inside of the timing belt. Not all the teeth but enough in one spot where there's no more teeth for the crank gear to grab and turn everything.

Or possibly the auto tensioner failed, or tensioner pulley bolt backed out. What's the tension like on the timing belt?

Like already mentioned 90 percent chance you're going to need to do some head work :(

2g N/Ts don't have balance shafts.:thumb:
OP try to crank the engine over by hand. was the car making any knocking noise before the car died on you? and funny noises? If it doesn't crank over by hand, drain the oil and see if there is and metal shavings in the oil. if not then you can rule out a spun bearing. anyways, good luck.

No. The belts still on there, and the cranks turning. the timing belt and the cams aren't.

oh i didn't see this post.:confused:..yeah I'm guessing your head is done for. do a timing belt job and then a compression test to see how those valves are doing.

do a timing belt job and then a compression test to see how those valves are doing.

OP, i would do the compression check first. Dont put belt and stuff on. If you need to go to TDC. Use a breaker bar or a strong ratchet if you have on. Wait till you find how how the head is. You will decide to do the belt or wait. Their was something else i was going to say. But forgot.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I would do a leakdown before doing anything. Throwing a new timing belt on it and cranking it over can cause more damage than what is already done if the valves are bent. Chances are that they are bent though.

The timing belt is fine by the looks of it. No teeth missing. I cant see much though being its only like a two inch hole. Its not loose or anything either. And the oil was clean. But how much do you think it would be to rebuild?

And if it costs more then a grand or so to fix I'll probably just get a new one. The car hasn't been anything but a hasle. the guy i bought it from didnt take care of it at all. Mom said she'll go half on whatever i get if i get a new one. :hellyeah: haha. GST! :thumb:

Wait, i forgot to mention the housing around the timing belt and gears were rubbing the belt and causing it to squeal. Could that have anything to do with it?

Pull the cover and look at the belt. Most likely you will not have to rebuild the whole engine if the valves didn't break, it they just hit the piston and bent the pistons will usually be fine.

A compression test is needed i havent had a engine when the valves didnt bend when something went bad, one case when the valves nicked the valves and were bent. Make sure the head gets decked from the shop and remember to replace cam seals, and valve stem seals, and replace all timing components. May want to replace the front case gasket, and seals in the front pump, and inspect the gears since your there.

The timing belt is fine by the looks of it. No teeth missing. I cant see much though being its only like a two inch hole. Its not loose or anything either. And the oil was clean.

The timing belt will normally only lose about 7 teeth, down where the crank sprocket is. The only way to be sure is to pull the covers and look at the entire length of the belt. You may even find a few of the teeth laying around by the crank sprocket. If the belt 'slipped' more than 2-3 teeth, the timing will be off far enough to bend valves.

If the belt did jump, the easiest way to test would be to pull the cams out (since you will have the belt off!!) This way you can be sure the valves are as closed as they can be and you don't have to worry if the crank turns.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back