The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

I need answers to building my 1g DSM

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talon kid 760

Probationary Member
Feb 15, 2013
Imperial, California
I could use some advice to get my 1990 Eagle Talon Tsi running. I would ultimately like to swap to a 4g63 off the JDM, but I'd like to know if its possible... I know I'd need the tranny, ECU and harness off the same car, however I live in California close to the Arizona border and emissions are a big concern... Can this be done in a way that it would be smog legal?
My second option is to have my engine rebuilt, however I want to achieve 300 hp' and I believe to fastest most inexpensive way to do that is the engine swap previously stated... If I have it rebuilt... Do I need to replace internals for reliability purposes... Is there a proper "do this before you do that" type sequence that should be followed
As it stands I need to replace the shift fork, a couple of broken exhaust manifold bolts and a key" lost in transition" since I parked it some 7 years ago...
Can anyone help?

You already have the "jdm" 4g63 in your car.

It will handle 300hp with ease in stock form.

Sounds like you have a lot of research to do before touching anything. Everything you could ever want to know about a dsm is on this site somewhere, hence the reason for the search function. Im sure many people will suggest that you use it.

^ this. As stated, the 4g63 in your car already the "jdm" motor. If you look at my wishlist, it is pretty much what you would need for 300hp. 16g turbo, ~650cc injectors, clutch, fmic, fuel pump, TUNING. There are lots of people with a 300hp goal, so doing a bit of reading and researching will help a lot.
Try looking up dsm upgrade path on google. They should give you a good idea.

I know the capabilities of my 1gen 4G63. I know it can handle up to 400 lbs of torque on stock internal. I know my 1gen 4g63 is rated at 210 hp. I would have to invest a good amount of money to make it a desirable 300 hp... What I didn't know is that it's a JDM engine! Thanks for the heads up... Would it be cheaper for me to swap an engine of an Evolution (what I meant by JDM). For me to get my car running I'm looking at a $1600 rebuilt plus at least another $??? To achieve 300hp. I know that my car would handle that hp on stock internal... Will it handle it reliably without upgrades to my internals is my question... I've been doing a lot of research... A local shop can swap the Evo engine for $600 plus another $350 for smog( didn't ask the legalities, just happy it smogs) I'm looking at $1750 plus shipping around $300, swap and smog total about $2000. This would solve my shift fork and manifold bolts situation... I need advice as to what path to take... A positive about buying the Evo engine is that I'd have an extra JDM 4g63

How many miles are on your motor currently? I see no reason in spending 1800 dollars for a "Jdm evo motor". When you could stock rebuild yours and have money left for the 16g, and possibly more of your upgrades.

They said you have the "Jdm" 4g63 because the car was produced here in the states.

If your current has "low miles". Don't even worry about rebuilding it. Do a basic tune up, triple check the timing. Find a 16g turbo, decide on how you want to tune(link,safc, many options). Get some 550 or 650 injectors a fuel pump of your choice(I ran a Wally 255), and a wideband air fuel gauge and call it a day. No worries about passing smog, no loopholes to jump through every year. 300 on these cars isn't hard to make once you get a good tune. I ran 298 horse on stock internals using this setup for a year before deciding I wanted more.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back