The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

1G I need an 4G37 engine...Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvmyeclipseowner

Probationary Member
Nov 14, 2022
Columbia, South_Carolina
Hello,

I came upon this site while trying to find an engine. It seems most of you have the more powerful version of the eclipse or talon but I do not. I think I read someone where my car, the 1990 eclipse with the 1.8L engine is good enough for a high school girl. Well its been a minute since I walked down the halls of a high school but I sometimes do feel like a young girl!!!! Hence my desire to try and revive my car.

I know it may be pipe dream but I thought I would give it a whirl. I am having a hard time trying to find an engine for it so I thought I would post here to see if there are any suggestions or if someone has one etc etc. I blew my engine and few years ago and I wasn't going to fix it but now I decided to. Sadly it may be a few years too late. I need an engine for a 1990 eclipse base 1.8L manual transmission 8th digit T.

Thanks In advance....

Welcome to the forum, its always nice to gain another member! Take a few minutes to do a vehicle profile HERE so we ALL know what you are working with and then go over to the classified section and create a WTB (want to buy) ad for a 1.8L motor. Most of us have the 4g63 but a few also have the 420a motor and we have some members that are very good with them. @BLACK'98DSM , do you have any tips for this new member? :)
Thanks for joining us and don't be afraid to ask questions and use the search function if you are needing something that has been talked about before.
We are here to HELP!
Marty

Something you could do, that I am also considering doing is a 4g63 swap. In comparison, the N/T models really aren't that different from the turbo models. Engine mounts are the same. You also need to get a turbo ecu and turbo wiring harness but it can be put together and functional without too much hardache.

But to answer your original question about a replacement 1.8, You're unlikely to find a 4g37 (1.8) at a junkyard. Keep an eye out for part outs.

The question in my mind is why can't you still use the engine you have now and rebuild it? Is the damage severe? I ask because rebuild parts for a 4g37 seem to be really cheap in comparison to most other engine I've rebuilt. If you can reuse the engine then do it.

I was thinking the same thing, can you pull your engine and just repair it and put it back in?

So do you need banned?
We all appreciate your input! :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back