1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

I need 4G63T timing and motor help

Posted by Steezy_B, Nov 24, 2016

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. Steezy_B

Steezy_B Probationary Member

Joined Nov 24, 2016
    Darien, Illinois
    i have a 6bolt 4G63 to swap in my 1990 Eclipse to get running and the motor i bought the block was freshly rebuilt but the guy i got it from said the timing might be off, and when i checked it seemed way off and i would like to have someone help me get the timing fixed and the motor ready to go in. i have most of the parts and the old motor is out of the car. i live in the southwest suburbs of Chicago if anyone can help please contact me.

2. buddahboost

buddahboost Proven Member

Joined Aug 15, 2007
    CHICAGO HEIGHTS, Illinois
    Do you have the tools to do the timing job? How do you know the timing is off?

Where are you located exactly?

Street Build 83  1

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    awd · automatic · Galant VR-4
  3. Steezy_B

Joined Nov 24, 2016
    Darien, Illinois
    I have the Haynes manual for the car and it has the a step by step process to find tdc for cylinder 1 and I was fouling it it's said the piston should be at the top, but my motor was at the bottom and the intake cam lobe was coming on the rocker arm so it seemed way off by 90° or more, and the car is in burr ridge

4. buddahboost

buddahboost Proven Member

Joined Aug 15, 2007
    CHICAGO HEIGHTS, Illinois
    Have you seen any YouTube videos on how to set the belt up? Are the timing marks lined up at all?

Street Build 83  1

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    awd · automatic · Galant VR-4
  5. Steezy_B

Joined Nov 24, 2016
    Darien, Illinois
    I watched some videos on how it done and I found a website with the technical service bulletin that shows how all the timing marks should lineup

6. steve

steve DSM Wiseman

Joined Feb 3, 2002
    Boulder, Colorado
    Darien and Burr Ridge are far from southwest suburbs of Chicago. That would be more like Orland Park, Joliet, Frankfort.

If I still lived in Hinsdale it would be no problem to show you but a little far now.

Get a real factory manual. The Haynes manual is not much better than nothing. You can also read the VFAQ while you're watching youtube videos.

http://www.vfaq.com/FAQlocator-engine.html
    http://www.vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-1G.html

29  2

2008 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro Roadster
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

14  4

2002 Audi TT Quattro Roadster 225
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

31  2

1992 Dodge Stealth RT/TT
    awd · manual · 3000GT/Stealth

4K  12

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM
  7. Kody 95 eclipse

Kody 95 eclipse Probationary Member

Joined Apr 11, 2017
    Barrington, Illinois
    Whats the website ti have timing problem I'm in lake Zurich if there is anyone around hear that knows what there doing plz let me know will pay you for your time everything should be rite want to make sure need it out of the shop

Street Build 173  1

95 Mitsubishi eclipse
    fwd · manual · 4G63t Swapped