The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

I Love Lucy

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kinda' new to the build update thing but will be posting my progress pics from when I first started to now. This was Lucy's engine bay when I first got her back after 4 years of sitting. I always prided myself in having the cleanest engine bay :rolleyes: doesn't look like much but you'd be surprised what a simple wash can do.
20170501_165149.jpg

Didn't I tell ya'? You'd be surprised what a simple wash can do LOL; witness my OCD:
20170501_184706.jpg

20170501_183555.jpg

Attachments

• 20170501_184706.jpg
    20170501_184706.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 83
I WANT TO GIVE A HUGE THANKS TO MARTY (1990TSIAWDTALON) WHO HELPED ME TREMENDOUSLY THROUGH THE ENTIRE PROCESS AND WALKED ME THROUGH THE STAGES OF MY HEAD REBUILD. THANK YOU BUD, I WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DO THIS WITHOUT YOU!!

Now the tear down process, this was such a learning experience for me being that the most I've ever done to a car as far as repairs go is.. Well, nothing actually LOL. I've only ever done oil changes and other than that had installed some gauges, bov, and relocated my battery. So this was quite a big day for me :
20170604_070845.jpg

20170604_070955.jpg

Because I'm such a noob, I had to start with labeling EVERYTHING. There are way more pics of labels but I'm only posting two:
20170604_132656.jpg

20170604_143642.jpg

Believe it or not, after maybe two weeks or so, I finally got the head off. Given my small Windows of time, living conditions, unexpected technical issues, etc, it was very hard to get this done in a timely manner.
20170611_153547.jpg

20170612_165724.jpg

Last edited:
Wow man, what was in your cooling system? Is that orange stuff all Rust or is it sludge?
I believe it was a mixture of both man. Oh just wait, the next updates I post you'll get a much better idea of how bad it was. Idk what the last owner put in for cooling but I wouldn't doubt tap water being used :(

Got an evo III intake for $120!! DEFINITELY had to prep this sucker for paint! Used 500*F rustoleum primer then 500*F rustoleum aluminum colored spray.
Before:
20170807_154643.jpg

After:
20170809_192108.jpg

If you need any EXTRA vacuum ports, now is the time to drill and tap for them. My EVOIII intake has 2 extra brass barbs next to the original one up by the throttle body on the engine side of the manifold, where there is a boss that is flat that you can drill and tap. I am glad they are there on mine. Think out what you may need and prepare ahead of time! Just a tip.

20170809_192108[1].jpg

Had an FP manifold that I bought in 2012 on a black Friday sale sitting brand new. Figured now would be the best time to put her on. Of course, I HAD to paint this sucker. 2000*F primer and 2000*F paint.

Before:
20171004_110808.jpg

Primer:
20171004_112239.jpg

After: Finished
20171004_123409.jpg

If you need any EXTRA vacuum ports, now is the time to drill and tap for them. My EVOIII intake has 2 extra brass barbs next to the original one up by the throttle body on the engine side of the manifold, where there is a boss that is flat that you can drill and tap. I am glad they are there on mine. Think out what you may need and prepare ahead of time! Just a tip.

Everything is buttoned up now man :( I'm just posting my work during the time to add to the story. Thank you for your offer! Hang on to it! I may ask you for it later LOL.

FP mani looks nice too!!!

I'm assuming this may have been from the valve stem seal leaks I had. Intake cams pitted like a mofo.
View attachment 533209

Cams are pittted from water contamination, or oil starvation, possibly both if the milk shake clogged the oil valve in the head.

Your current oil pressure issues have me a bit worried about the oiling system being contaminated. I almost want to suggest dropping the pan to inspect the oil pickup for debris.

Cams are pittted from water contamination, or oil starvation, possibly both if the milk shake clogged the oil valve in the head.

Your current oil pressure issues have me a bit worried about the oiling system being contaminated. I almost want to suggest dropping the pan to inspect the oil pickup for debris.
I posted an update of it not being as bad as I first thought, but now you have me worried as well. When I drained my clean oil from my car when first tearing this all apart, the oil was completely clean. No issues with it as far as I remember.

So, taking off my water pump for replacement, I discovered this. Blaghhh!!
20170913_185331.jpg

And here's the surface:
20170913_173111.jpg

Best I could clean it up after:
20170917_182201.jpg

I think when I start driving the car, I will put some of that cooling system cleaner in and do a couple of drains to get it cleaned up again.

I posted an update of it not being as bad as I first thought, but now you have me worried as well. When I drained my clean oil from my car when first tearing this all apart, the oil was completely clean. No issues with it as far as I remember.

It's a bit odd to have the intake side be so pitted. As long as you can take off the oil cap and see the intake cam slinging oil with a little rev it should be fine.

Yeah that's definitely water in the cooling system. You're going to want to perform a few flushes this summer when you can run distilled water and flush through the system for a few days

It's a bit odd to have the intake side be so pitted. As long as you can take off the oil cap and see the intake cam slinging oil with a little rev it should be fine.

Yeah that's definitely water in the cooling system. You're going to want to perform a few flushes this summer when you can run distilled water and flush through the system for a few days

Right?? My exhaust cam was perfect! I have no idea why the intake cam was like that. I'll do that next thank you.

Should I perform the few flushes asap or can I wait until the summer? Being that I have a brand new waterpump installed.

Right?? My exhaust cam was perfect! I have no idea why the intake cam was like that. I'll do that next thank you.

Should I perform the few flushes asap or can I wait until the summer? Being that I have a brand new waterpump installed.

You can do both. The way the flush concentrate bottles read, for maximum effectiveness you want to drain the cooling system, pour in the flush, and fill with water and run the car to operating temps for at least 45 minutes. For extremely contaminated systems it says you can leave in for an extended period of time for the best results.

My heater core was clogged and my head and block passages were clogged, with nasty head gasket repair stuff. I ran blue devil cooling system flush with distilled water for a week or two and drained and filled the system after that.

I ended up replacing all of the radiator and heater core hoses with the silicone hose kit on eBay for $55 and now my heater finally works again

You can do both. The way the flush concentrate bottles read, for maximum effectiveness you want to drain the cooling system, pour in the flush, and fill with water and run the car to operating temps for at least 45 minutes. For extremely contaminated systems it says you can leave in for an extended period of time for the best results.

My heater core was clogged and my head and block passages were clogged, with nasty head gasket repair stuff. I ran blue devil cooling system flush with distilled water for a week or two and drained and filled the system after that.

I ended up replacing all of the radiator and heater core hoses with the silicone hose kit on eBay for $55 and now my heater finally works again

Dude! Thank you so much for the tips. I will do exactly as what you say. I saw on a YouTube vid of a popular youtuber who did multiple flushes and the coolant looked brand new through the system.

Running the GATES Thermostat part number 33987. A member here did a test on numerous thermostats that were advertised for 170 and 180 and his car ended up running at 203 to 206 on the highway. This thermostat cracked open spot on at 180 and his car ran at 196 on the highway. So this is what I'm running:
20170922_174547.jpg

This was my head when I got it back from being rebuilt. Evo 9 Springs & Retainers installed and also oil port mod done. Modified the 2g coil bracket and painted it for the evo 3 intake mani. Also painted the brackets that hold my sensors to match =)
20171004_184049.jpg

20171004_184122.jpg

Looking good man!!! :thumb:

Ported out my evo3 16g while I had the head off Figured now'd be the time to do it since I could.
20170910_163608.jpg

Sadly, I didn't get an after picture :( but ah well

Also, got my hands on a 1g nt throttle body :sneaky: super stoked about it.
20171011_120920.jpg

What was even better was that Steve Monroe from throttlebodys.com rebuilt it and he did an AMAZING job! I honestly cannot praise the guy enough for not just his work, but his customer service skills! He would reply so promptly to my emails concerning the tiniest of things and walked me through a lot. Here it is mounted
20180126_130948.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back