The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

I just had a radiator fan idea.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90AWDTalon

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 5, 2003
Everett, Washington
My AC doesn't work and I don't plan of fixing it, so that fan never comes on. When the radiator fan comes on it blows hot air right on my air filter. Is there any reason why I couldn't remove the AC fan and move the radiator fan to the driver side? I can't think of why it wouldn't work, but it seems so simple that if it worked it would be a common mod.

the better solution would be to either build your own CAI or build a little box that will isolate your intake inlet.... Even if you move the fan, which isnt a bad idea, you wont be helping it to much. Those boxes or home depot CAI's reduce inlet temps a lot and are very noticable and worthwhile IMO.

just to throw in my two cents. You could move the fan to the other side. You would need to lengthen the two connections to the rad fan somehow. Also if you ever wanted to get a good FMIC the idea would probably have to be altered a little bit again but whatever floats you boat, right?

Not having any money I just resorted to ripping out all the A/C parts in the engine bay because I was bored. Being FWD I dont think it will help me at all on the track but, it sure was fun ripping it out. :thumb:

notice how the inlet/outlet of the radiator are both on the passenger side of the radiator? That's where most of your coolant flows though.. that's why the rad fan is on the passenger side.

If you spraypaint Nike on a box of shoes from Big Lots.. does that make them cool?

Well, well, well. If we werent just graced with the all mighty Ken Bacon's presence.

I understand you closed IRC's doors? Did you plan on notifying the people who had orders with you or did you just want to destroy their plans without any explanation?

A reply would be appectiated, but I'm SURE you dont have the time. :rolleyes:

I am rippingmy rad out to switch it for a Volvo S80 fan..its huge but slim.Will be much better inside the engine comparntment then ths tockone..wich I melted*hehehe* Hopefully will have pics of it soon enough....:)

Originally posted by KenTSIII
notice how the inlet/outlet of the radiator are both on the passenger side of the radiator? That's where most of your coolant flows though.. that's why the rad fan is on the passenger side.

Yeah that was about the only downside I could think of. I wasn't sure if there was enough pressure in the system that there would be decent flow on the other side or not. I still might try it and see if my car runs hotter or not. It runs really cool now.

Originally posted by candela
the better solution would be to either build your own CAI or build a little box that will isolate your intake inlet.... Even if you move the fan, which isnt a bad idea, you wont be helping it to much. Those boxes or home depot CAI's reduce inlet temps a lot and are very noticable and worthwhile IMO.

Your right that is a better solution, and I've been thinking about doing it since I got the car, but this would be much simpler if it worked.

I think it would make a decent difference. When I still had the stock maf after installing a K&N I tried it both with and with out the canister around the filter. With the element open, it made a very noticable increase in power until the radiator fan came on, then it made a very noticable drop in power. With the canister on it made much less power than open, but it didn't lose any power when the radiator fan came on. I don't know if you've ever put your hand near the filter and felt the temp difference when the fan kicks on, its huge. Also, three or four years ago Sport Compact Car was dyno tuning there project Civic Si, they kept getting a random 10hp drop on the dyno. They finially figured out the 10hp drop happened when the fan kicked on. They built a shield for the filter and never had the drop in power again.

Originally posted by KenTSIII
If you spraypaint Nike on a box of shoes from Big Lots.. does that make them cool?

no but a sticker would:D

Originally posted by kingearl
Well, well, well. If we werent just graced with the all mighty Ken Bacon's presence.

I understand you closed IRC's doors? Did you plan on notifying the people who had orders with you or did you just want to destroy their plans without any explanation?

A reply would be appectiated, but I'm SURE you dont have the time. :rolleyes:

Do everyone a favor, and don't post things that could get this guys thread locked...

Think About This Once. The Radiator fan really only does something when the car is at a complete stop. It rarely ever turns on while you are moving because the air is moving on its own. And if you are racing your car you would have a CAI or at least an isolation box. The only time you are going to notice the slightest bit, if at all, is when u are at a dead stop. So u might gain a horsepower or to for the first .2 seconds of your launch. Woo Hoo. It's not worth the time.

Originally posted by TiMMaH668
Think About This Once. The Radiator fan really only does something when the car is at a complete stop. It rarely ever turns on while you are moving because the air is moving on its own. And if you are racing your car you would have a CAI or at least an isolation box. The only time you are going to notice the slightest bit, if at all, is when u are at a dead stop. So u might gain a horsepower or to for the first .2 seconds of your launch. Woo Hoo. It's not worth the time.

Have you ever logged intake temperatures?

While a DSM sits at a stop, the intake temperature (temp at the filter) rises fairly rapidy, I have seen 50+ degrees MORE than ambient while stopped. Then, when you start to move again, it takes quite a while for the air to cool back down. It will effect you for an entire pass at the track, that is why people remove their headlights.

Exactly Kyle.

"Open filter" this, and "hot air is ok" that.

We need cold air here gentlemen, and it takes a long time to repay that hot air debt from sitting at the lights, going thru traffic or waiting in the staging lanes.

hehe, my "hot air debt" never seems to get paid off.

Cruising on the highway, my intake temps will be ~120F on a 40 degree day. At a light, they'll rise to 140ish occasionally, and then they never seem to come back down again. Gotta get some cold air in there one of these days.

-Jesse

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back