The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

I just bought a front mount !

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was intrested in this intercooler to. I have seen them for sale for awhle now. Does anybody have any info on this? CFM stuff like that.

also is this to small for a t3/t4 50 or 60 trim?

Yea i was thinkin about this core also, but i busted out the tape measure and i think its to small. My eclipse mouth is about 26x7 so im thinkin u would have a little over an inch of end tank on each side showing. Looks like a core though let us know how it goes.:dsm:

here's the intercooler guys :

Attachments

• p1010013.jpg
    p1010013.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 217
ah yes, i was gonna pick up the 27x8 one they had. then i found out that you can order them from their site for the same price, so i put it off so i could get my turbo first. how do the welds look?

Originally posted by draculia
ah yes, i was gonna pick up the 27x8 one they had. then i found out that you can order them from their site for the same price, so i put it off so i could get my turbo first. how do the welds look?

They look nice, doesn't seem like that #### will ever leak :)

good to hear. maybe within the next month or two i'll place an order for one. 2.5" aluminum pipes for me, that's gonna cost more than the ic itself.

i'm gonna jump in and say, it all depends on the core and pricing. say 400 for the core above, but piping could range greatly. if i was just to use aluminized steel pipes, i could do the piping for under 100. so lets say 550 for a nice fmic with piping and couplers and clamps. however, i want to use aluminum piping on mine, something that i don't feel comfortable welding myself, so that's gonna up the price. on top of that, aluminum bends are much more expensive, so things would come out to at least 3 times as expensive. stainless would be a little cheaper than aluminum.

Sorry to burst your bubble.. but I don't think that's a spearco core. It's definately not the 3-183.. since they use the rounded extruded tube design, & the core in the pic is obviously bar/plate design. By the pictures it looks like it's a taller core that was cut down & welded up (notice the row right next to the cap plate at the top of the FMIC?... normally the cap plate attaches to a row of fins). More than likely it's a semi FMIC that's been cut up & welded, or somethign along those lines, & then spraypainted spearco across the front of it. Spearco doesn't make any cores near that size that are only 3" thick. More than like some sort of garrett core would be my guess. Buyer beware when dealing w/ Ebay. Is it worth $400? Prolly. But I don't know if I would trust anything that I couldn't get flow numbers & specs on. Well anyways.. I wish you luck w/ you FMIC.

Edit: also noticed that the core doesn't look 27" wide in the pics.. is that measurement including the endtanks?

he has a sight too. its www.extrememachinesperformance.com

i just eamiled asking what cores he uses. i talked to him before asking about a 22x8, and he said the closest thing he had was a 20x8, but he could get me whatever size i wanted. his prices are the same on ebay and through his shop if anyone cares.

I checked out that site and have a question: the style of FMIC that has the end caps both on the same side (Style C on his site)-- how's that work? Does the air go through half the intercooler, through the end cap, and then back through the other half?

The one w/ the endtanks on the same side would be like cutting the core in 1/2 long ways & having a FMIC that was twice as long. Not a very good design.. as the air has to make a 180 deg turn at the far tank. That FMIC would have 1/2 the amount of flow as normal & twice the pressure drop. You would be better off w/ a greddy style design where the pipe runs across the top & into the the far endtank (like a 2g Greddy FMIC kit). That site pretty much reiterated the fact that they are not spearco cores... but cut down taller core... IE why you can get them in any height that you wish.

Originally posted by KenTSIII
The one w/ the endtanks on the same side would be like cutting the core in 1/2 long ways & having a FMIC that was twice as long.
That was my guess, but I wasn't sure. Thanks Ken for splainin'!

Originally posted by KenTSIII
That FMIC would have 1/2 the amount of flow as normal & twice the pressure drop.
I didn't know about that-- good info! I know nothing about pressure drop. Why would that particular design have more? Is it because the path the air must travel is twice as long?

Since the core is effectively twice as long... it has to travel twice as far, therefor doubling the pressure drop. The flow is cust in 1/2 since you are basically removing 1/2 of the tubes. This is a common practice w/ radiators.. to increase the cooling capacity.. IE the coolant is in the radiator longer.. so it gets more airflow over the same coolant. But flow and pressure drop don't really matter much in a radiator.

Great info:thumb: I just installed a HRC fmic which has both tube inlets on one side and I'm wondering how much of a pressure drop would you really get/notice? I was thinking that the air is seeing more of the intercooler which inturn is cooling it better, right. When I was looking at other ICs I wondered how much of the IC does the air really hit on some where the pipes are straight across. And this pressure drop, is it something that can be corrected by turning the boost-up slightly? Just curious. Also pickad the HRC cause I liked the way it held up at a dyno I was at a few months back(gsx4life's). Here's a pic of my ic

Attachments

• p000363.jpg
    p000363.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 107
i talked to the guy again. he said they're spearco cores, so apparently he just hacks them up to the customers specs.

Draculia.. ask him which specific spearco cores they are. The advertised thickness on the 1st core was 3"... & spearco doesn't make a bar/plate core that large that is only 3" thick.

GSTwkd
I've seen the HRC FMIC in person before & I believe that the lower rounded tube is an air passage.. similar to the greddy pipe.. but more compact. So the FMIC is actually only a single flow instead of a double flow like we were discussing before.

on his sight he advertises them as 3.5" thick, so my question to the one that bought this ic, what's the thickness?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back