The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

i invented a new mod today

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrostBite

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 6, 2003
Stockton, California
today i was thinking of ways to make my greddy type s bov louder without venting. i remembered how when my rubber intercooler piping was on how quiet it was and after i upgraded to aluminum, how i could hear the air wooshing. soo i thought about how much the rubber recirculation hose was absorbing the sound of the bov...went to orchard supply with my recirulation hose in hand and matched it with a similar in shape aluminum piping (was long and bent 90 degrees at the end) the metal piping wouldnt fit snug on the bov or intake so i cut little 1 inch long sections of the rubber hose off and put it on the bov and intake and THEN put the aluminum piping on and it fits snug and looks GREAT. the bov is now at least twice as loud and has a higher cooler sounding shriek thanks to the solid aluminum and it seriously looks awesome right next to my uicp. almost as loud as venting and none of the side effects :thumb:
oh and it was 6.99 and has a beautiful mirror polish which looks the same as my uicp

Attachments

• recirc.jpg
    recirc.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 4,198
:rolleyes: I guess I will never understand why folks want to make there BOV louder, I mean who cares as long as it functions properly. Am I missing something, is a louder BOV worth some horsepower? I don't think so.... :thumbdown

Mine is pretty loud...

Maft blowthru + vented....

I did'nt recirc because It meant less parts..

Loud or not does'nt matter.. If a valve is vented it can blow off more air in the same amount of time.

Shit,looks like im going to home depot tommorow. :p I wouldn't mind having the venting sound without all the downfalls that come with it.Damn why didnt I think of this awhile ago :confused:

yo TSIGoesPSSSSST let me know if u find sometihng at homedepot...i'll be going next weekend to find something...i'm just looking for polish aliminum piping with 90degree bend at one end

i didnt get the piping that was out on the shelves. i got a mirror polished piece that was in a plastic zip lock bag with all the specs and stuff on the bag. tomorrow ill try and take better pictures of it and pictures of just the pipe and the bag as well

Well my evoIII is boost creeping so screw performance mods until it's warmer out...

How about making your own out of fiberglass? Everyone's is probably gonna be of a different length from the BOV outlet to the intake inlet. I think it sound louder because it flows more. Ever notice of restrictive the stock 2G dump dump is?

Looks good, congrats on having the brainpower to not vent to the atm.

If I cant find anything at home depot I might just make one out of pvc.... Polished look is madd bling though... :D

Zexell said:
Take the pictures without flash. If there is too much shake, adjust your camera for a fast shutter. If you have a tripod, that'll be even better too.
HA ha, its a camera phone dude, i will take them with my good camera later today, alright?

joeracer321 said:
:rolleyes: I guess I will never understand why folks want to make there BOV louder, I mean who cares as long as it functions properly. Am I missing something, is a louder BOV worth some horsepower? I don't think so.... :thumbdown

it's just nice to show off :talon:

I bought my car vented, and this post inspired me to recirculate it, hopefully using an aluminum tube. I couldnt find one, so I ended up buying and custom fitting some radiator hose to it and now its recirced. It runs the same, and now the BOV is a LOT quieter, really sucks. :( It sounds really muffled, i might go back to vented if I cant find a suitable aluminum or PVC pipe to recirc with... :cry:

people are always going to run their mouth about how "they dont see why people care how the car sounds" to put it simple. I care how my car looks, I care how my car performs, and I care how my car sounds. If it sounds better to you, and doesnt affect the performance then why not? You dont just buy any exhaust. You buy one that sounds the way you want it to sound. This is a good idea and I might try it out just to see if it makes the 1g any louder.

AdoreGSX said:
people are always going to run their mouth about how "they dont see why people care how the car sounds" to put it simple. I care how my car looks, I care how my car performs, and I care how my car sounds. If it sounds better to you, and doesnt affect the performance then why not? You dont just buy any exhaust. You buy one that sounds the way you want it to sound. This is a good idea and I might try it out just to see if it makes the 1g any louder.

Yep. :thumb:

AdoreGSX said:

amen

i went to the hardware store today...i found chrome piping used for sinks and shit like that...it's 1.5 inches thick but u gotta cut like 1-2 inches off one end, cause it seems to get bigger..i'm totally doing this and i'm getting a greddy -s so i'll see how much louder it gets...
i deff agree with u though i dont care what other people think of my car...i want it sound the way i want it and i'll put my money where i want it...it's all about performance..looks/sounds play a good role in it too

dont even bother going to home depot i tried it they dont have it!
im still looking for some piping

joeracer321 said:

my guess is when ur driving by a bunch of junk hondas stomp it and give them a taste of the real thing
BOOST! :talon:

hey guys, whenever someone gets the piping at home depot, post it, because I want ot do the mod, just don't know what items I need to get, thanks

i'm going to try and get the piping tonight, i'm pretty sure the ace hardware by my house has them, in fact i'm almost positive...if you guys are having THAT MUCH trouble finding them let me know if you need one and i'll ship one out for ya guys cheap :thumb:

Goto ACE hardware that's where i found the piping i found...it's 1.5 inch thick and like long...just gotta cut a little to get rid of the expanded side...it like gets bigger to fit on a bigger piping. it was like 7 bucks

Well I too would like to try this on my 1G so I'm probably going to go out the week and use PVC first. Make a prototype and see if I can find something similar at home depot. This way I wont have to do alot a test fitting and can get it done quick. PVC will be quick to mock up. When I'm done I'll let you guys know if PVC will amplify the BOV. I will also make one out of piping and see which is best. I'll also try to do a write up of this and give detailed info so you guys can make them as well. :thumb:

I'll bump this thread when its ready so stay tuned! :laugh:

Also I'm sure that the thinner the pipe is the louder it will sound since it wont be muffled. I found some thing PVC and will see what I can come up with and then probably will retrofit metal piping for some added bling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back